2024 NCAA Tournament

15 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

I’m glad Yale is getting killed so I can get to bed before midnight for the first time in a few days.

I'm old enough to remember when the Sunday games ended at 7 and then we watched 60 Minutes. Wait, that was just a couple of years ago. TV networks are making it really hard to be anything other than a degenerate gambler. 

52 minutes ago, GP1 said:

I'm old enough to remember when the Sunday games ended at 7 and then we watched 60 Minutes. Wait, that was just a couple of years ago. TV networks are making it really hard to be anything other than a degenerate gambler. 

I think it was the Cavs coach the other day that complained about the fans in the stands yelling at him to keep his starters on the court in a blow-out in order to cover the spread. 

The next government bail out will be for the soon-to-be millions of destitute gamblers.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

I think it was the Cavs coach the other day that complained about the fans in the stands yelling at him to keep his starters on the court in a blow-out in order to cover the spread. 

The next government bail out will be for the soon-to-be millions of destitute gamblers.

They just need to include a warning written on the websites written in the smallest font possible warning people gambling might not be the best thing for them. Everything will be fine. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, GP1 said:

They just need to include a warning written on the websites written in the smallest font possible warning people gambling might not be the best thing for them. Everything will be fine. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS7m0730f2D17M4xxy5-AB

1 hour ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

As much as we complain about the Beacon, that was an interesting article regarding how gambling has effected the players and coaches, and not in a good way.  Reminds me of the weirdest telecast of a Zips game when Barstools talked more about the over and under than about the game.  Only a matter of time before some student athlete gets paid to fix a game.  I can smell a scandal coming with all the money out there and student athletes not getting much or any money and all of the action that is bet on the college games.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

As much as we complain about the Beacon, that was an interesting article regarding how gambling has effected the players and coaches, and not in a good way.  Reminds me of the weirdest telecast of a Zips game when Barstools talked more about the over and under than about the game.  Only a matter of time before some student athlete gets paid to fix a game.  I can smell a scandal coming with all the money out there and student athletes not getting much or any money and all of the action that is bet on the college games.

Point shaving wouldn't be new to college hoops. There have been numerous scandals over the years.

17 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

It's easier than ever for a player to fix a game. There is no gangster paying the kid. All the player needs is a Draft Kings account only the player knows about, and the discipline to not get greedy and keep his mouth shut. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

Point shaving wouldn't be new to college hoops. There have been numerous scandals over the years.

Duquesne comes to mind.

This issue isn't the scandal itself, it's the fact that you don't need to leave your couch to get into some serious gambling debt now-a-days. Today, gambling on sports goes hand-in-hand with watching it. You used to need to go to Vegas or Atlantic City...now you pull your phone out of your pocket.

I'm not an anti-gambling guy. It only bothers me to see it now promoted like cigarettes used to be through the 70's. To people with a certain addictive make up, it's just as dangerous. 

• Like 3

Here is an article that includes gambling as a reckless behavior. https://www.wsj.com/us-news/four-years-later-covid-isnt-done-with-us-280a7cf1?mod=Searchresults_pos16&page=1

Because of legalization, gambling and smoking pot aren't even cool anymore. It used to be cool to feel like you were clandestinely buying some pot in college on a Friday from some shadowy dude. In reality , the cops had a lot more to worry about in Akron than a small time pot dealer pushing joints around the University. Now you just got to a store to buy pot that leaves a person catatonic after two hits. When I was in college, I could smoke an entire joint with three friends and not be incapacitated. 

Gambling was cool also. You knew a shady guy that you had to go pay once a week.  Now you tell your phone. Is there anything less cool than that?

I think this is the first time in my life when I look back on the current college kids and pitty them for not being as cool as my generation. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

That wasn't even the first time Toledo was caught for point shaving. They also got busted in the early 1950s.

So they’ve got a history. Maybe this is the real reason they haven’t been to the NCAA Tournament since 1980. Either that, or they just suck!

2 hours ago, GP1 said:

Here is an article that includes gambling as a reckless behavior. https://www.wsj.com/us-news/four-years-later-covid-isnt-done-with-us-280a7cf1?mod=Searchresults_pos16&page=1

Because of legalization, gambling and smoking pot aren't even cool anymore. It used to be cool to feel like you were clandestinely buying some pot in college on a Friday from some shadowy dude. In reality , the cops had a lot more to worry about in Akron than a small time pot dealer pushing joints around the University. Now you just got to a store to buy pot that leaves a person catatonic after two hits. When I was in college, I could smoke an entire joint with three friends and not be incapacitated. 

Gambling was cool also. You knew a shady guy that you had to go pay once a week.  Now you tell your phone. Is there anything less cool than that?

I think this is the first time in my life when I look back on the current college kids and pitty them for not being as cool as my generation. 

It just made gambling more mainstream. The NCAA tournament just set record viewership records at a time when fewer and fewer people are watching live TV. Now that the can of worms has been opened, the leagues are making more money and politicians are generating more tax revenue I don't see it going anywhere.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

It just made gambling more mainstream. The NCAA tournament just set record viewership records at a time when fewer and fewer people are watching live TV. Now that the can of worms has been opened, the leagues are making more money and politicians are generating more tax revenue. I don't see it going anywhere.

It's always about the money. As long as the government gets their cut it will continue.

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

It just made gambling more mainstream. The NCAA tournament just set record viewership records at a time when fewer and fewer people are watching live TV. Now that the can of worms has been opened, the leagues are making more money and politicians are generating more tax revenue. I don't see it going anywhere.

You're right. It's more mainstream. And it's not as cool. 

20 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

I wish the other MAC football teams would do some point shaving 🙁 

Or maybe we could say that's what we've been doing, as an excuse 😉