ZipsNation Basketball All-Star Team Poll: Center

ZipsNation Basketball All-Star Team Poll: Center  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Since 2002/2003 Who are the BEST Centers the Akron Zips have had? (Pick two)

• Garvin Clarke (2020-2023)
    • Deng Riak (2015-2020)
    • Isaiah Johnson (2013-2017)
    • Pat Forsythe (2011-2016)
    • Zeke Marshall (2009-2013)
    • Mike Bardo (2007-2011)
    • Rob Preston (2001-2006)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/24/2024 at 03:59 AM

Pat Forsyth was a West Virginia transfer that everyone was very excited about and had a couple of decent years as a backup.  Something happened where he dropped off the team.  I remember seeing his at the Mac playoffs in street clothes and not with the team.  I cannot remember what happened.

40 minutes ago, ZipCat said:

Have suggestions to improve it? I just went through the stats over the years of players listed Center. 

First suggestion: do some research.  If you were familiar with the Zips on basic level you would know Garvin was a guard, who played pretty well during the 2022 championship run.

3 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

Pat Forsyth was a West Virginia transfer that everyone was very excited about and had a couple of decent years as a backup.  Something happened where he dropped off the team.  I remember seeing his at the Mac playoffs in street clothes and not with the team.  I cannot remember what happened.

I don't remember the details, but he got into a fight.

15 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

First suggestion: do some research.  If you were familiar with the Zips on basic level you would know Garvin was a guard, who played pretty well during the 2022 championship run.

Fine, I guess I won't do it then. Was looking to have a little fun ... but since everyone is more knowledgeable w/e.

When I think Akron basketball bigs the first name that pops into my mind is Taylor Currie. The two-headed monster of he and Tre Edwards en route to the 2021 Elite Eight will always stand as the most dominant front-court in Akron’s history. 

5 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

Foresyth was a head case. Everytime he got a hangnail he couldn't play. He hurt his shoulder and refused to play because he thought that any further injury might jeopardize his future career as a pro. He cost us the MAC championship in Dambrots final season. When we went to the NIT that year he wasn't invited to join the team. He did sign a G league deal but it didn't take long for them to realize what a headcase he was.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hilltopper said:

Foresyth was a head case. Everytime he got a hangnail he couldn't play. He hurt his shoulder and refused to play because he thought that any further injury might jeopardize his future career as a pro. He cost us the MAC championship in Dambrots final season. When we went to the NIT that year he wasn't invited to join the team. He did sign a G league deal but it didn't take long for them to realize what a headcase he was.

Thanks!!  I just do not remember him being that good to cost us a MAC championship.  I do remember one player who always seemed to underachieve in Cleveland and that seemed to hurt us in his last couple of years.

Good to see Big Dog getting so much love.  I think ppl forget how good Big Dog was; just wasn't built for 3 games in 3 days.

Mike Bardo: 0

Rob Preston: 0

Garvin Clarke: 1 😭😭

Edited by Blue & Gold

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, AkronAlumnus said:

I voted Zeke & Johnson only bc I couldn't vote Freeman

Freeman will be listed as a PF when that poll is up, which is how the Zips list him on their roster.

Edited by ZipCat
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, AkronAlumnus said:

I like what you're doing btw. Please keep it up! 

It's a first crack at this, I'm obviously going to make some errors (ala accidentally listing Garvin Clarke here). But maybe with time it can be perfected an in the future make a 2.0 version.

Certainly makes for some fun conversation!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

Thanks!!  I just do not remember him being that good to cost us a MAC championship.  I do remember one player who always seemed to underachieve in Cleveland and that seemed to hurt us in his last couple of years.

We only needed him to play 10-15 minutes per game at the MAC Tournament to give Big Dog a breather. By game 3, BD was spent and it cost us the title.

• Like 2