NCAA Tournament- Creighton

The Zips drew the 14 seed to face Creighton in Pittsburgh, the closest possible site.  Creighton finished the season at 23-9 and tied for second in the Big East.  As the number 2 seed in the Big East tournament, they lost in the quarterfinals to Providence, the number 7 seed.

The Blue Jays have three guys that score 17 plus points a game.  6'7' senior guard Baylor Scheierman, a big lefty averages 18.4 ppg while also leading the team in rebounding at 9 rpg. 6'4" junior guard Trey Alexander averages 17.6 ppg.  7'1' center Ryan Kalkbrenner averages 17.1 ppg and 7.4 rpg.

The hot rumor is that the game will be at 12:10 on Thursday.

Edited by clarkwgriswold
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

The hot rumor is that the game will be at 12:10 on Thursday.

When will the times be officially announced?

On paper, this is the best possible matchup for Akron I think. No matter who were playing, we knew we were going to have to make our shots. So with that factor being a given, here is why I love this matchup...

- Creighton is only 6-7 deep. They have 4 guys that play 30+ minutes, 2 guys that play 21-22 minutes, and another that is 9.8 minutes per game. In terms of production, they're even more thin, with 3 guys averaging 17-18 ppg, another averaging 10.7 ppg, and then the next closest is 5.7 ppg. 

- They're top producer is a 6'7" "guard" named Baylor Scheierman. 18.4 PPG, 9(!) RPG, an 86.8% FT shooter, 37.2% 3P shooter, and 44.8% overall from the field. Ali Ali will most likely be on him. Not sure you can stop him, but slowing him down is going to be required. 

- Creighton is 177th in the country in possessions per game, and only 1.5 possessions more per game than Akron. We're not going to get ran out of the gym with pace; the only way we get blown out is if we don't hit our shots, meaning there's a decent chance we're in the game start to finish. 

- Creighton is 94th in the country in opponent points against at 69.7. Akron is 30th in the country at 66.8. Regardless of the competition level, defense travels. This will be a strong defensive matchup overall. 

- Creighton's guards, outside of Scheierman, are 6'3" or shorter. We have the height advantage in the backcourt, and I don't believe they have any quick, shifty guards that can give us fits like Santiago, Sullinger, or Jaylin Hunter. Tribble staying out of foul trouble will be a massive factor.

- Creighton has the height advantage in the front court with their center, Ryan Kalkbrenner, being 7'1" and their other 2 semi-contributing forwards (Mason Miller and Isaac Traudt) being 6'9" and 6'10" respectively. I don't know Kalkbrenner's game, but against Freeman, bigger isn't always better with how quick Enrique's moves are. 

If we don't make our shots, none of this will matter; we'll get blown out. If we make our shots, game on. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Game is at 1:30, on TNT!

Perfect location, good tip time, obviously a great opponent but like you said above, not unbeatable. 

Looks like we have a group of 4 heading to Pittsburgh. Waiting on ticket info from UA. 

If the game was on Friday I'd go as I already took that day off. Thursday unfortunately I have mandatory meetings so can't attend. Be sure to cheer extra loud for me for those of you attending. If we miraculously survive, I'll be there Saturday.

Edited by kreed5120

4 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Amen.  Anxiously awaiting the email.

My guess is it was sent out to boosters first. I'm not sure how many tickets Akron was allocated, but I wouldn't be surprised if very few of them make it to us peons. 

5 minutes ago, ZIPS96 said:

Don’t count on Akron for tickets. I called the ticket office and they said the allotment is small and an email would go out this afternoon with a link to buy.

Yes, this article is from 2005 so it might not be the most up to date, but according to it only 550 tickets are given to each school for the first round games.

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news/2005/03/16/ncaa-tickets-advancement-increases-allotmentbrschools-given-550-tickets/61950783007/

NCAA tickets: Advancement increases allotment Schools given 550 tickets

Odd as it sounds, the further you advance into the NCAA Tournament, the easier it is to get tickets.

Each participating school was allotted 550 tickets for first- and second-round games, such as those taking place this week at the Ford Center.

For regional sites next week, that number increases to 1,250 tickets per school.

For the Final Four in St. Louis in two weeks, each school will be allotted 4,500 tickets.

It's a numbers game. The smaller the field becomes, the more tickets can be allotted to participating schools.

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news/2005/03/16/ncaa-tickets-advancement-increases-allotmentbrschools-given-550-tickets/61950783007/

52 minutes ago, ZIPS96 said:

Don’t count on Akron for tickets. I called the ticket office and they said the allotment is small and an email would go out this afternoon with a link to buy.

Did they give you any idea what the ticket price is?

• Like 1

I think I read somewhere on here that someone said priority goes based on your contribution to the Z fund (or the Zips Athletic Club, whatever its called now). You'd think being a season ticket holder would get you some preference regardless of those contributions...However if not, I'm only able to make it to a few games a year anyways. It might make more sense for me to cancel the tickets and just donate that amount directly to the Z fund. At least I'd get a tax deduction..

Edited by LZIp

19 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I think I read somewhere on here that someone said priority goes based on your contribution to the Z fund (or the Zips Athletic Club, whatever its called now). You'd think being a season ticket holder would get you some preference regardless of those contributions...However if not, I'm only able to make it to a few games a year anyways. It might make more sense for me to cancel the tickets and just donate that amount directly to the Z fund. At least I'd get a tax deduction..

There's a priority point system.  The $ and frequency of donations, years of season tickets, future gifts, etc are all considered.  Also, I think players' families move to top of list.   This is how it's done at every school.   If you want control over your destiny, by from SeatGeek. 

Edited by NWAkron