Transfer Portal

On 4/9/2024 at 2:25 PM, Blue & Gold said:

I was really expecting to see Lyles' name in the portal.

I thought he would be back, but I'm no longer certain he's a center. I wonder if he's a more natural fit at the 4 spot. It will be interesting to see who comes in. That might tell us more about how they plan to use Lyles.

I'm not surprised we haven't had a commitment yet. In most years, our transfers have been expected to be role players. One or more transfers coming in this summer will likely start and play a major role. Need to make sure it's a great fit.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Zippy87 said:

I'm not surprised we haven't had a commitment yet. In most years, our transfers have been expected to be role players. One or more transfers coming in this summer will likely start and play a major role. Need to make sure it's a great fit.

It's probably also a much harder sell now. In previous years it was come to Akron, we have 2 All-MAC caliber players and you could be that final piece we need to make the tournament. I know you have been dreaming of that since you were a kid.

Now it's come to Akron. Our roster is very depleted, but you can easily earn playing time.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Illini Zip said:

These are former West Virginia teammates. James Okonkwo transferred to North Carolina for one year.

Looks they're both listed as juniors. So I'd assume we'd only get one season out of them?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, akzipper said:

Looks they're both listed as juniors. So I'd assume we'd only get one season out of them?

Correct, but it's a pretty important season. I'm assuming these guys know Sharron Young, and Sharron Young knows them. Would be big to establish chemistry and roots in Akron for the entire West Virginia crew. Not to mention this team needs experience, and there is no better experience than 2, 3-year big time P5 guys. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Correct, but it's a pretty important season. I'm assuming these guys know Sharron Young, and Sharron Young knows them. Would be big to establish chemistry and roots in Akron for the entire West Virginia crew. Not to mention this team needs experience, and there is no better experience than 2, 3-year big time P5 guys. 

He doesn't follow either on Instagram. I doubt Nate Johnson and Tavari know the Akron HS players as well 

14 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Good point. I was expecting the program to go into a rebuild period, but this could definitely give us a huge boost. In the world of college athletics all we can really do is take it one season at a time anyway. 

Edited by akzipper

I'd prefer Josiah - from Canton and we'd have him for 2 years vs 1. Both would be great. 

One way to bypass the Portal struggles of chemistry? Just get past teammates to transfer in. 😂

Edit: If this is accurate information, it's most likely Josiah Harris. According to Verbal Commits, Pat is not in the Portal. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94