Keeping up with Keith (Dambrot)

14 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Great read. Very well constructed by GT. But man, Groce has Akron rolling pretty well now. A mini deep dive into the last 4 years here would be a fun read. Talking to guys like Tribble, Clarke, Freeman who have been here for it all. I suppose beggars can't be choosers. 

• Like 1

The part of the article I found most disturbing:

Marshall, who was Abreu’s roommate, said he warned him and was disappointed by what happened.

“This is me looking back, maybe he wasn't in the place to see the long-term consequences of what his actions were,” Marshall said. “But even at the time I would tell him, 'Well, if you're going to do this, do it after the season.' ... I'm like, 'What we have here, don't mess it up.'”

Damn...damn...damn...

5 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

The part of the article I found most disturbing:

Marshall, who was Abreu’s roommate, said he warned him and was disappointed by what happened.

“This is me looking back, maybe he wasn't in the place to see the long-term consequences of what his actions were,” Marshall said. “But even at the time I would tell him, 'Well, if you're going to do this, do it after the season.' ... I'm like, 'What we have here, don't mess it up.'”

Damn...damn...damn...

No joke. I was never privileged enough to hear the inside scoop on what happened then. I'd love to hear KD's immediate reaction, Wistercill's, the entire team's. And the investigation's that led to it. At what point did the authorities know it was him? I remember being crushed. Calling friends and family. Friends and family calling me. Hoping for it to somehow not be real, and be some sort of mixup. The team came out so flat against Kent. Pinky was 0-4 against UA going into that one, and lucked into his first win. Then in 2014 he needed a 35 foot prayer to beat Akron. Blah. Hate to remember those games.

It really shows you what a selfish POS Abreu was at the time. I hope he's better now, and has become a more stand-up person. He knew at the time what could happen. And if you're going to do it behind everyone's back, that's one thing. But for Zeke to be aware of it and flat out tell him to cut it out, and he keeps doing it, man that is a low of lows. He was such an excellent player. 

ESPN story on him from 6 years ago: https://www.espn.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/110166/former-point-guard-drug-dealer-learn-from-my-past

• Like 1

Nothing better for a Zips fan than to re-live Five Pound Friday. ☹️

The iffy team chemistry was a killer for that era. Treadwell was kicked off the team for a reason. Harney was too. Abreu was too. Some high risk/high reward guys that ended up killing us.

I did speak to Dambrot about Tree and Harney once. He said he felt good about them despite their poor HS grades (they both had to sit our their first year due to academic ineligibility) because they both were from good, 2-parent homes. They were as "safe" a high risk recruit as you could get.

I think Steve Spurrier was credited with saying "The hardest part about recruiting is convincing a kid who has no business going to college, to come to yours." 

• Sad 1

51 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

No joke. I was never privileged enough to hear the inside scoop on what happened then. I'd love to hear KD's immediate reaction, Wistercill's, the entire team's. And the investigation's that led to it. At what point did the authorities know it was him? I remember being crushed. Calling friends and family. Friends and family calling me. Hoping for it to somehow not be real, and be some sort of mixup. The team came out so flat against Kent. Pinky was 0-4 against UA going into that one, and lucked into his first win. Then in 2014 he needed a 35 foot prayer to beat Akron. Blah. Hate to remember those games.

It really shows you what a selfish POS Abreu was at the time. I hope he's better now, and has become a more stand-up person. He knew at the time what could happen. And if you're going to do it behind everyone's back, that's one thing. But for Zeke to be aware of it and flat out tell him to cut it out, and he keeps doing it, man that is a low of lows. He was such an excellent player. 

ESPN story on him from 6 years ago: https://www.espn.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/110166/former-point-guard-drug-dealer-learn-from-my-past

The thing that bothers me is that the quote makes it obvious people knew what was up and nothing happened.  I have to hope only Zeke knew and he didn't know how to handle it as a 21 year old.

Nick Harney may be my least favorite Zip of all time.  The glaringly bad attitude he displayed on a nightly basis was maddening.

Tree...Harney...Abreu...let's not forget Diggs.  Yikes, that damn wound is still open 10 years later!!  Wouldn't it be nice if every player was like Enrique?  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, mrelegazna said:

Can you clarify the bolded part? Are you saying Zeke should have ratted him out?

In hindsight, to keep it from going down as it did, yes. Not necessarily to the authorities, but to a coach or other adult before it all went down.  In the present, as a college kid, that would not have been as easy of a call.

Edited by clarkwgriswold
  • Like 1

On 2/17/2023 at 12:07 PM, NWAkron said:

I wish this entire thread would disappear.  Correct, I don't have to read it, but if you are desperate to know something about the former coach I suggest google.

Amen!  I know it was a magical time, but it's over now.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, GoZips88 said:

#6 Duqs going down to #11 La Salle (2nd game in 2 nights). Fresh legs < Ole KD come March.

I tried ... 

image.png.c4e4aa1c8150a741fc0c4094c6986b0a.png

I had the Dukes in my parlay tonight. Really didn't think they'd lose to one of the worst A10 teams.

..and to think, KD went to that school for an easier path to the NCAA Tournament.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, akzipper said:

I had the Dukes in my parlay tonight. Really didn't think they'd lose to one of the worst A10 teams.

..and to think, KD went to that school for an easier path to the NCAA Tournament.

What ironic about that is the A10 is a one bid league this year.

At least he got his 20 win season. Last I recall, KD's contract was up at the end of the year. Wonder what they do?

Edited by LZIp

23 minutes ago, LZIp said:

At least he got his 20 win season. Last I recall, KD's contract was up at the end of the year. Wonder what they do?

KD is 64.  I'm not sure how much of that D1 basketball life he has in him.  I suspect he's winding down but that's just a guess.  I could see him moving into a sports administration job.  If the rumors are true, he almost did that last year.

2 hours ago, LZIp said:

Duquesne has been mediocre since the 70s. I think they had one or two NIT appearances since then. I'm sure they are happy to see a coach have a winning season. Which is hilarious because the rest of their sports are a joke and the athletic department puts all their money towards basketball since they have nothing else. 

2 hours ago, akzipper said:

Duquesne has been mediocre since the 70s. I think they had one or two NIT appearances since then. I'm sure they are happy to see a coach have a winning season. Which is hilarious because the rest of their sports are a joke and the athletic department puts all their money towards basketball since they have nothing else. 

Duquesne really ramped up spending on the basketball side. They paid Dambrot significantly more than their previous coach. They gutted their arena and pretty much replaced everything new. I have to imagine their plan was to be a top 3-5 team in the A10 with 1-2 tourney appearances by now. 

I wouldn't say his tenure has been a complete disaster, but I have to imagine it has fallen short of what they expected.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

Duquesne really ramped up spending on the basketball side. They paid Dambrot significantly more than their previous coach. They gutted their arena and pretty much replaced everything new. I have to imagine their plan was to be a top 3-5 team in the A10 with 1-2 tourney appearances by now. 

I wouldn't say his tenure has been a complete disaster, but I have to imagine it has fallen short of what they expected.

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

No NIT appearances, not NCAA appearances, and I believe no finish higher than 5th in the A10 since his arrival. The A-10 is weaker than when he arrived too as they are now a basically 1-2 bid league annually. He definitely took them out of the basement, but they aren't real contenders. I think I read on their board he's averaging something like 6-7 players entering the transfer portal every year since his arrival. Lot of turnover.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 1

Just now, LZIp said:

No NIT appearances, not NCAA appearances, and I believe no finish higher than 5th in the A10 since his arrival. The A-10 is weaker than when he arrived too as they are now a basically 1-2 bid league annually. He definitely took them out of the basement, but they aren't real contenders. I think I read on their board he's averaging something like 6-7 players entering the transfer portal every year since his arrival. Lot of turnover.

Damn right. He could have stayed here and become a  legend. Instead he  uprooted his family and chased the dollar. I have little respect for his legacy. 

If you want 20 wins, hire Keith Dambrot. Beyond that is expecting too much.

I watched one of their games this season, and the announcers said he was the first Duke's coach to have multiple 20-win seasons in 50 years. If that's what floats their boat, then they hired the right guy.

A great mid-major coach fights above his weight class. Keith is good within his weight class, but not above it.

• Like 1