Keeping up with Keith (Dambrot)

5 hours ago, mrelegazna said:

1. That he was here for so long before going to Duquesne makes "bail" a more apt word to use, not less.

2. "How many mid-major coaches...." That's just it.  He didn't leave to go coach Ohio State or Villanova or something.  How many coaches can you name who consistently won and then moved to a program that's on par at best with the one they just left? Or if that's too subjective, any non-P5 + Big East job?

3. The "personal ties with Duquesne" stuff might carry some weight if he wasn't born and raised in Akron and a graduate of Akron. Those are some pretty strong ties!

You've made your mind up already, and that's fine. It's undeniable that he lifted this program to a higher level and built the foundation of what we have now. I wish him the best and hope they win every game as long as they aren't playing us.

Go Zips!

• Like 2

For those that are interested, the vcu- Dukes game is at 1 on CBS.  I will be rooting for the Dukes.  Ironic that KD get a 2nd chance at VCU, as they literally ran us out of the NCAA tourney.  I was at that game and VCU was fast and pressured everything.  Harney was not a great ball handler to start and he was forced to play point because of injuries and whatever and what followed was not pleasant.

11 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

For those that are interested, the vcu- Dukes game is at 1 on CBS.  I will be rooting for the Dukes.  Ironic that KD get a 2nd chance at VCU, as they literally ran us out of the NCAA tourney.  I was at that game and VCU was fast and pressured everything.  Harney was not a great ball handler to start and he was forced to play point because of injuries and whatever and what followed was not pleasant.

Akron team down with the flu. My son and I made the trip as well. THAT game sucked.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, GoZips88 said:

Akron team down with the flu. My son and I made the trip as well. THAT game sucked.

I always choose to remember that team for the way they responded to the MAC Tournament. Lost their starting PG, didn't have anyone ready to step in - I remember Betancourt cramping against Kent in the regular season finale because the minutes were just too much of a jump - lost that game to Kent.

Had one week to figure it out. Beat Kent in the semis and then pounded Ohio in the final while mostly running the offense with players than hadn't done it all season. KD's best coaching job IMO and incredible resilience from the players.

• Like 1

Watching the A-10 final. Duquesne playing really well, although I think the streamer release in the first half was a little premature. 😂 Wholeheartedly, unabashedly rooting for Dambrot and the Dukes. 

21 minutes ago, MDZip said:

Watching the A-10 final. Duquesne playing really well, although I think the streamer release in the first half was a little premature. 😂 Wholeheartedly, unabashedly rooting for Dambrot and the Dukes. 

Never seen anything like that 😂

Congrats to KD.  They were up 18 and VCU cut it to 1 but the Dukes held on.  To put Tribble's free throws in perspective, with a minute left a Duke player who shot 95% from the line missed a free throw on a one and one.  Tribble has nerves of steel.  

• Like 1

I remember last year they had a terrible season and somebody put up a link to their board and most of the people on the board wanted KD to be fired at the end of the season.  (Obviously, their board in not as nice and tolerant as our board)  I wonder what they are saying now?

25 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

I remember last year they had a terrible season and somebody put up a link to their board and most of the people on the board wanted KD to be fired at the end of the season.  (Obviously, their board in not as nice and tolerant as our board)  I wonder what they are saying now?

Their board was even worse this midseason. Basically unanimous that the hire didn’t work out. Now first tourney since 77. Weird how life works out sometimes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Their board was even worse this midseason. Basically unanimous that the hire didn’t work out. Now first tourney since 77. Weird how life works out sometimes.

Turn back the Zips Nation clock to mid-February 2022. Now that was a fun time 😬