Keeping up with Keith (Dambrot)

2 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

I remember last year they had a terrible season and somebody put up a link to their board and most of the people on the board wanted KD to be fired at the end of the season.  (Obviously, their board in not as nice and tolerant as our board)  I wonder what they are saying now?

I'd imagine they'll want him to stay for another season. The AD must feel vindicated now for paying up and bringing him in.

4 minutes ago, ZippyRulz said:

I'd imagine they'll want him to stay for another season. The AD must feel vindicated now for paying up and bringing him in.

I really hopes he wins a game in the tourney so if he retires he will have at least one win in the NCAA tourney.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Zippy87 said:

I always choose to remember that team for the way they responded to the MAC Tournament. Lost their starting PG, didn't have anyone ready to step in - I remember Betancourt cramping against Kent in the regular season finale because the minutes were just too much of a jump - lost that game to Kent.

Had one week to figure it out. Beat Kent in the semis and then pounded Ohio in the final while mostly running the offense with players than hadn't done it all season. KD's best coaching job IMO and incredible resilience from the players.

The following season Harney truly thought he should be the starting point guard. Spent most of the season pouting about it.

There was a lot of good coverage for the Zips and Akron in general on the CBS show after the B1G Championship was over and before the selection show. It was just as much due to KD and the Dukes as it was Groce and the Zips. KD is an alum and took our program to the next level, and even if we plateaued under him, I want to see KD win a NCAAT game before he retires.

Edited by UAZipster0305
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Good for KD.  Well deserved.  I'm curious to see where Duquesne goes in hiring his replacement.

Selfishly, I'm curious to see where some of their players might go now via the portal.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Good for KD.  Well deserved.  I'm curious to see where Duquesne goes in hiring his replacement.

Their board did not want the keys to be handed to Joyce mid-season. Wonder if they'd be okay with that now. Big risk.

Congratulations to KD on an incredible career.  If anyone questions his motives in going there, watch the press conference and listen to him talk about his father.

He changed Akron basketball for the better and helped us get where we are today, I'm forever grateful to him for it.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, dre22era said:

Still pissed we lost him due to our crappy One Bid Conference. 

Hell of a career 

I hope Dru Joyce gets handed the keys

I know many here don't want to hear it but I really think it was personal for him with his father. They said in his presser today that his dad was buried in his Duquesne letterman sweater. He knew it meant a lot to him and he wanted to take on that challenge for his dad.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AkronAlumnus said:

Is Joyce a viable candidate? Does he have head coaching experience? 

In the press conference someone asked if he'd have a say in his replacement and KD deferred to the AD, but then said "But I'm strong-willed" with a smile. He also said later that he felt the program could go to even higher levels "if the people in the room don't change".. he said "the AD, President" after, but I think it meant more than that. 

I really think it will be Dru with the rest of the staff staying on. I have no idea how he is as a game coach, but LeBron will get much more involved if it's Dru and thats not a small thing. I also don't think KD does this if he doesnt know there are places there for McFadden and Weigand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Zippy87 said:

Congratulations to KD on an incredible career.  If anyone questions his motives in going there, watch the press conference and listen to him talk about his father.

He changed Akron basketball for the better and helped us get where we are today, I'm forever grateful to him for it.

whatever happens, it will be an emotional tourney for him and the Mrs. 

• Like 1

On 3/18/2024 at 1:07 PM, Zippy87 said:

I know many here don't want to hear it but I really think it was personal for him with his father. They said in his presser today that his dad was buried in his Duquesne letterman sweater. He knew it meant a lot to him and he wanted to take on that challenge for his dad.

His son finished his NCAA soccer career as a Duke as well.  

• Like 1