New Head Coach Search - 2021 Edition

GoZips86

31 minutes ago, 60zip said:

I personally like the Z or the running A on the helmet. But in the end, it's about winning and being competitive every time out no matter what you wear. But please nothing like Can't State

The only kudos I give them is that they didn’t just go plain white jerseys. I like games where both squads have some color to their jerseys... just that the overall scheme was pretty hideous

3 hours ago, akzipper said:

I think we all need to message Guthrie and let him know this needs to happen. He seems to really care about what the fans want. If we're annoying enough about it maybe he'll make the switch. 

You are targeting the wrong person with those emails. Script Akron is Dr Miller's preference. 

7 hours ago, akzipper said:

I think we all need to message Guthrie and let him know this needs to happen. He seems to really care about what the fans want. If we're annoying enough about it maybe he'll make the switch. 

Agree. Script Akron is fine on a shirt or whatever, but no way should that be our primary logo. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, bigjim said:

This cheer has gone on in Lot 9 during football pre-game parties for years.  I would like to take credit for its origin, but I cannot and will not.  There has been a full lot 9 of tailgaters belting this cheer out prior to entering the stadium.  Also, see another post where this cheer happens at soccer games.  

I get it now.  You are another of the $uckeye fans who likes to credit everything in the universe to that place in Columbus.  Go  ZI.........PS

I had a blast at the Suckeyes basketball game this year when their band played Hang on Sloopy I was surprised no one was doing O H I O so I did Z I P S at the same time and it was great.  I think the whole arena could hear me as it was so quiet and I got a number of looks from the Suckeye fans around me.

• Like 1

Btw, this thread is evidence why the U made the correct decision in building Info & investing in football.  Look at the excitement this thread has generated.  Akron is smack dab in the middle of NEO, the football capital of the world.  I like me some basketball too, I really do. And I daydream about one day making the Sweet Sixteen & having a new downtown arena.  But like most other area people, football is king... by a mile... by two miles... by three miles.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, scottditzen said:

Agree. Script Akron is fine on a shirt or whatever, but no way should that be our primary logo. 

College football fan forums never cease to amaze me.  You got a great new coach, but are focused on a secondary logo.  Take the weekend and enjoy the gift you just got.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Cykron said:

College football fan forums never cease to amaze me.  You got a great new coach, but are focused on a secondary logo.  Take the weekend and enjoy the gift you just got.  

Gift? You're talking to someone who has given maybe 100k to this university and after 30+ years of sports-related horrors I'll bitch and complain about whatever I want!!!! 

Edited by scottditzen
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

As an aside, this must mean Getsy didn't interview for the job, or at least informed the U toward the beginning of the search he wasn't interested.  I couldn't imagine asking someone to give an endorsement for someone you lost out on the job to. 😂

2 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

As an aside, this must mean Getsy didn't interview for the job, or at least informed the U toward the beginning of the search he wasn't interested.  I couldn't imagine asking someone to give an endorsement for someone you lost out on the job to. 😂

Guthrie mentioned he wanted a former FBS head coach or a current coordinator. Moorhead fit both criteria and I'd assume since Getsy being a QB Coach right now he wasn't really a consideration. With only a few seasons as a coordinator at MSU. Just my guess. 

Edited by akzipper
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, scottditzen said:

Gift? You're talking to someone who has given maybe 100k to this university and after 30+ years of sports-related horrors I'll bitch and complain about whatever I want!!!! 

Indeed, you have the right to post whatever you want.  Silly me for thinking that Sunday might be a good day for focus on celebration of the new coach.  I'm still caught up in happiness that you landed such a great head coach who seems to be such a great fit.  Looking forward to joining you guys for tailgating and a packed crowd.  

• Like 1

On 12/4/2021 at 9:20 PM, scottditzen said:

IMHO... I don't really care much about the primary logo debate, but AU has a new coach and staff, new players coming, and a new season to prove itself. From a psychological view, it needs a new "brand" to signify the beginning of a new era. The players and the fans will appreciate another gesture that the program is changing and there is optimism for next year. Products and services rebrand themselves periodically the create new interest and enthusiasm. Isn't that want we want? Change the helmet design, maybe some simple uniform changes, a new motto...little things in the grand scheme that can subtly lift spirits, moral (players), and show that AU football is back and will be a different competitor!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Football grandma said:

IMHO... I don't really care much about the primary logo debate, but AU has a new coach and staff, new players coming, and a new season to prove itself. From a psychological view, it needs a new "brand" to signify the beginning of a new era. The players and the fans will appreciate another gesture that the program is changing and there is optimism for next year. Products and services rebrand themselves periodically the create new interest and enthusiasm. Isn't that want we want? Change the helmet design, maybe some simple uniform changes, a new motto...little things in the grand scheme that can subtly lift spirits, moral (players), and show that AU football is back and will be a different competitor!

However, it is easy to make mistakes when trying out new "brands."  I'm moving toward thinking this is a time to emphasize the more traditional images.  That is definitely the vibe I'm getting from fans on this board.  Regardless, it feels good to be positive about Akron football.  

25 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Mario is leaving Oregon for Miami. May be some Ducks looking for a new home...

I thought the same. I'll place this here, for reference, since I'm sure the Oregon site will change soon. 

image.png

2008 Akron Staff (Joe's last year before going to UConn)

J.D. Brookhart - Head Coach

Bill Bleil - Assistant Head Coach / Tackles & Tight Ends

Joe Moorhead - Offensive Coordinator / Quarterbacks

Jim Fleming - Defensive Coordinator / Secondary

Brian Callahan - Offensive Line

Dana Chambers - Defensive Line

Mike Dawson - Linebackers

Reno Ferri - Running Backs / Recruiting Coordinator

Emmanuel McDaniel - Cornerbacks

Mauro Monz - Wide Receivers

1 hour ago, Dr Z said:

I thought the same. I'll place this here, for reference, since I'm sure the Oregon site will change soon. 

image.png

2008 Akron Staff (Joe's last year before going to UConn)

J.D. Brookhart - Head Coach

Bill Bleil - Assistant Head Coach / Tackles & Tight Ends

Joe Moorhead - Offensive Coordinator / Quarterbacks

Jim Fleming - Defensive Coordinator / Secondary

Brian Callahan - Offensive Line

Dana Chambers - Defensive Line

Mike Dawson - Linebackers

Reno Ferri - Running Backs / Recruiting Coordinator

Emmanuel McDaniel - Cornerbacks

Mauro Monz - Wide Receivers

Is this Bill Callahan's son - currently with the Bengals? Or any relation to Bill Callahan?

56 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Is this Bill Callahan's son - currently with the Bengals? Or any relation to Bill Callahan?

The Brian Callahan that coached for the Zips, is now the OL coach at the University of Minnesota with PJ. 

Bill coaches with the Browns. 

Callahan and his wife, Valerie, have four children: daughters Cathryn and Jaclyn, and sons Brian and Daniel. Brian serves as the offensive coordinator for the Cincinnati Bengals.

Two different Brian Callahans

here's a list of his MSU staff which may be more helpful, certainly more recent- 

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/mississippi-state-football/mississippi-state-bulldogs-coaching-staff-2019-season-finalizied/

Tony Hughes, Associate Head Coach/Tight Ends (eighth year)

Terry Richardson, Assistant Head Coach/Run Game Coordinator/Running Backs (first year)

Deke Adams, Defensive Line (first year)

Andrew Breiner, Pass Game Coordinator/Quarterbacks (second year)

Terrell Buckley, Cornerbacks (fourth year)

Marcus Johnson, Offensive Line (second year)

Michael Johnson, Wide Receivers (first year)

Joey Jones, Special Teams Coordinator (second year)

Tem Lukabu, Linebackers (second year)

Bob Shoop, Defensive Coordinator/Safeties (second year)

• Like 1