Wagon Wheel Game 2023 - Game Thread

GoZips86

51 minutes ago, akzipper said:

I went to bed when it was 27-10 and woke up to see the Zips won?! Heck yes!

Me too! I was disgusted until I woke up this morning and read a text from a friend who said we rallied in the 4th quarter and won. Great thing to wake up to! Keep it rolling next week in Oxford!

4 minutes ago, Kangaroo Craig said:

Me too! I was disgusted until I woke up this morning and read a text from a friend who said we rallied in the 4th quarter and won. Great thing to wake up to! Keep it rolling next week in Oxford!

Almost the exact same thing happened to me. 

• Like 1

I have to admit that based upon the extensive scarring on my Zips football psyche from years of bad football that every time Undercuffler dropped back in that 4th quarter I was expecting that rally killing ugly interception.

I haven't seen a momentum swing like that in a very long time.  I was sitting above the PCCC bench and you could just see the wind coming out of the sails of everyone on that bench after it went to 27-17.  Kudos to the Zips staff for not letting the kids quit and keeping them engaged. 

That was a comeback for the ages.  My $10 was well spent.

Edited by clarkwgriswold
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, LZIp said:

Worst part is...even if we somehow make a run at coming back in this, you know Cuffy still has an untimely back-breaker interception in him.

Yep I was absolutely convinced this was coming too. Congrats Jeff on making a number of us happily eat crow. 

• Like 1

I have been as big of an Undercuffler critic out there as anyone, but that was a sweet comeback. He was slinging that thing in the 4th quarter. I was even about to post before the comeback that his deep ball looked really good last night, he just wasn't able to connect. I'm so happy for these guys. I thought they were rolling over and giving up. They may have been in the process of it until they realized Kent was no longer trying to win. Thanks coach Kenni!

I may be wrong, but I don't think Lingard had a single carry that resulted in negative yardage. It's a shame it took this long to put the ball in his hands at a high volume, but if it was ever going to happen, I'm glad it did last night.

After Morgan State, I hardly even felt relieved. I wasn't even happy. Last night in some ways demanded the same reaction, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't lose my mind and hug so many random people. I couldn't even sleep I was so excited. 

I'm gonna enjoy this one for a while. It will always be hilarious to me that no matter how futile Akron is, Kent usually finds a way to be even worse. It's just hysterical. It is a joke of an institution, a joke of an athletic department, and a clown-show of a football program. They just hired PJ Fleck's running backs coach who has never been a head coach before. That is an amazing thing that Tom Wistercill wouldn't even do.

Go Zips!!!

• Like 2

One more thought for now...the death blow to the Tom Arth era came in the form of a Zach Gibson fumble into the end zone on a QB keep that would have had a good chance of winning the game against Ball State in a midweek game 2 years ago. Last night, Undercuffler's TD run to complete the comeback, against Kent no less, may be the shot in the arm the program needed to turn the corner. Funny how things work out sometimes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

We have real press conferences for once. Lingard seems like a down to earth humble guy.

Lingard is a legit D1 talent and by far the best player on the field for either team last night. Lingard would get playing time at a lot of P5 schools. I can't say that much about many of the players last night.

38 minutes ago, zipsrowdy88 said:

If you ever have negative thoughts about Joe Morehead like I have, go watch this interview. The guy is emotional about Akron, Ohio. We need guys like this. LETS BUILD COACH

I just want to know which member of ZipsNation  was the rando who walked up to Coach and let him know this was our Super Bowl. I know it was one of you. 😂

A big difference between this Zips team and others in recent years - only three penalties and zero turnovers last night.  It seems like this year the execution may be lacking at times but they aren't dying of stupidity.  And all the credit in the world to the coaches and team.  I didn't think they had it in them.  I was wrong.  Good job team!

2 hours ago, Kangaroo Craig said:

I'm glad I could pick up where I left off and watch the ending on YouTube TV this morning.

It's much more enjoyable watching when you know it ends in a win.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zipsrowdy88 said:

If you ever have negative thoughts about Joe Morehead like I have, go watch this interview. The guy is emotional about Akron, Ohio. We need guys like this. LETS BUILD COACH

I don't know anyone who has ever had negative thoughts about JoeMo, especially on ZN. That doesn't sound like any of us, especially not me. 

(For the record, I'm still out, but the bobber is in the water and I'm a curious fish...)

• Lingard was great running and catching.  I really liked him in the interview....I like the way he talked about the alumni, the community and coming back for the rest of his life.  I can't help but wonder what the season would have looked like if he had gotten the ball more like he did in this game.  He is tough to bring down and it opens up play action. Also made an amazing catch on the final drive.
  • You have got to be a strong armed QB to play in this system.  30 yard outs to gain 5-10 yards are scary.
  • Great call on the final touchdown!!
  • Undercuffler came through but the spike and the penalty could have cost us (I realize the emotion but damn that could have erased everything).  Same for Gathings.  He got lucky because I thought he could have been called twice for unsportsmanlike conduct).
  • The kicking looked good.  There were no long attempts but the short FG and all XPs had good height and right down the middle).
  • The stadium looked beautiful from the blimp.  Would have looked even better if it was full.

Hopefully this is the game that sets everything off.  Run the table Zips!