Wagon Wheel Game 2023 - Game Thread

GoZips86

Really feel happy for the team. I've played on some really good teams and some really bad teams. When you're a part of a bad team getting a W like this validates all of the work you've been putting in.

It reminds you why you are up at the crack of dawn and getting in your lift, reviewing film, taking extra reps, sacrificing your social/family life, craming in your studies during odd hours of the day. And don't forget rest and recovery. This victory will have a carryover effect for the program. Maybe not this year (Tough to see another win on the schedule) but hopefully in the off-season.  

Regarding the game: I love it when I read that people hate the play calling when we lose and love it when we win. I did see some minor adjustments (12 personnel already mentioned) but it was mostly the players making plays finally. 

Once Kent's WR went out the game flipped. 

Kent Sucks and will always Suck 

Go Zips! 

Edited by gozips19
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

If anyone thought the Kent game didn't matter, and that we should play the Freshman because we need to see who can contribute next season...they were clearly incorrect.

Wish we were all perfect like you and NEVER said anything incorrect about the Zips. Let’s bow to you

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

PCCC's loss was so disconcerting that it bled over to Colorado where Deion has yanked play calling duties from Sean Lewis!

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/colorados-pat-shurmur-to-take-over-play-calling-duties-as-deion-sanders-buffs-look-for-spark-per-report/

Honestly a weird move. OL and defense as a whole are by far the biggest issues on that team. Can't wait to see Shurmur fall on his face again.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

PCCC's loss was so disconcerting that it bled over to Colorado where Deion has yanked play calling duties from Sean Lewis!

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/colorados-pat-shurmur-to-take-over-play-calling-duties-as-deion-sanders-buffs-look-for-spark-per-report/

Prime might want to talk to their defensive coordinator, their offense is averaging 32 points per game - not too bad. 

Edited by MangoZip
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, GoZips86 said:

Wish we were all perfect like you and NEVER said anything incorrect about the Zips. Let’s bow to you

It's about opinion, not correctness. We'll never know how the youngsters would have fared against Can't. Does this mean JU is now the man for next year? I admit it's a little scary that the successful HS QB's we've recruited are still too overwhelmed to take snaps in a bottom-level MAC game.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ZippyRulz said:

It's about opinion, not correctness. We'll never know how the youngsters would have fared against Can't. Does this mean JU is now the man for next year? I admit it's a little scary that the successful HS QB's we've recruited are still too overwhelmed to take snaps in a bottom-level MAC game.

I was thinking the same.  And my wanting to see the freshman had more to do with thinking they might give us a better chance to win than what we have been seeing.  

I always like this quote from Danny Ainge - "It’s not a coach’s job to give opportunities for everybody. To me, it’s a player’s job to make that coach feel like he needs you on the court (field) to win — because every coach wants to win.”

Wasel and Jennings apparently haven't shown the ability to lead the 2023 Zips or they'd have started by now.

I was surprised to see Undercuffler starting. After his voluminous turnover parade, who knew he was capable of playing a clean game turnover-wise, let alone leading three TD drives in the 4th quarter. But I guess Joe did...and he was proven correct.

I'm ecstatic about the Kent win, and I've never wavered in my support of Joe, whom I am certain will turn the Zips into winners. I respect the hell out of the effort put forth by the Zips on Wednesday. But playing 1-7 opponents, at home, can make for some deceiving stats.

It will be interesting to see which JU shows up against Miami. If he could play a clean game, we could win. The defense took their already-respectable game up a notch once they saw the offense finally put up some points. It's the offense's turn to ramp it up again. 

• Like 5
  • Thumbs down 1

I did not attend even tho' I am a season ticket holder. I was so mad at this team for destroying (so I thought) my love for Zip football. Living two hours away I watched with hope, then dread, then more hope, then pure elation. This team, that I was disgusted with, brought me back. Winning the "Wheel" is huge. For us now, it is everything. Don't believe the rivalry is dead and no one cares. There was even a segment on our victory tonight on TV in Columbus. This is our "Wheel" and we are not going to give it back for a long time.

Thank you to the boys for believing when I had lost the faith. Thanks to Joe and staff. Joe is still the guy to fix it and he will. 

• Like 4
  • Thumbs down 1

25 minutes ago, 72 Roo said:

I did not attend even tho' I am a season ticket holder. I was so mad at this team for destroying (so I thought) my love for Zip football. Living two hours away I watched with hope, then dread, then more hope, then pure elation. This team, that I was disgusted with, brought me back. Winning the "Wheel" is huge. For us now, it is everything. Don't believe the rivalry is dead and no one cares. There was even a segment on our victory tonight on TV in Columbus. This is our "Wheel" and we are not going to give it back for a long time.

Thank you to the boys for believing when I had lost the faith. Thanks to Joe and staff. Joe is still the guy to fix it and he will. 

For my part, this is a memory that I will really cherish for this season. It had a lot of elements that make for a great MAC game. Wednesday night. In the snow and cold. Two teams struggling. It really attracted only the most die hard fans among us. And I don’t care if you watched it live, on TV or read about it the next day in the paper and cheered, we are all together in cheering this team on. I love it and it was all the better that it was a fourth quarter come from behind victory. 

I’m not going to sit here and tell anyone that it was a win that will turn this season around. It may or may not. But I just really enjoyed living in the moment and sticking it out until the end no matter how dang frustrating it was. 

And I can’t imagine what it’s been like for all the Zips fans that have been suffering on this board for way longer than me! Hope they all took some joy from this game!

• Like 3