2023-24 MAC & CBB Season

Let'sGoZips94

15 minutes ago, csims0917 said:

John Groce said this will be our strongest SOS based on kenpom at the time of play in UA history 

That's not accurate. Perhaps he's referring to non-conference SOS. That currently sits at #67 in the nation. I'm not going to look through 20 years of data, but that could be accurate. Right now our overall SOS is #232 because MAC play has torpedoed it. I won't go through 20+ years of data, but last year our overall SOS was #206. In 2019 (the last year the MAC was decent), we finished at #110 in SOS.

You play more conference games than you do non-conference so conference play more heavily weighs into SOS. Especially since several of those OOC games don't even factor in since they aren't against D1 teams.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

That's not accurate. Perhaps he's referring to non-conference SOS. That currently sits at #67 in the nation. I'm not going to look through 20 years of data, but that could be accurate. Right now our overall SOS is #232 because MAC play has torpedoed it. I won't go through 20+ years of data, but last year our overall SOS was #206. In 2019 (the last year the MAC was decent), we finished at #110 in SOS.

You play more conference games than you do non-conference so conference play more heavily weighs into SOS. Especially since several of those OOC games don't even factor in since they aren't against D1 teams.

Best nonconference SOS in the KenPom era (1999). Said in regards to the JMU game. This season is essentially tied with 2012.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

Best nonconference SOS in the KenPom era (1999). Said in regards to the JMU game. This season is essentially tied with 2012.

That's impressive. Can't control the conference you play in, but can control the OOC. A new level for the program, would be cool if we could maintain it.

58 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

At time of play being the disclaimer 

NCAA Net Rankings that we give a 💩 about through Feb 6th Games...

- Akron 85

- Utah State 29

- Drake 55

- Bradley 56

- James Madison 62

- St. Bonnie 67

- UNLV 97

- SDSU 169

- Gardner Webb 175

- NKU 200

- Southern Miss 229

- FIU 294

- Toledo 124

- Ohio 163

- PCCC 179

- BUGS 205

- Miami 232

- Balls 251

- CMU 257

- NIU 274

- WMU 288

- EMU 333

- Buffalo 355

I do wanna say I really liked how the MAC did our scheduling. In conference play we faced every team 1 time and then face the SBC team. Then we basically get a bye week before the last 7 games of MACtion. Seems like a really nice system if they continue this challenge 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Any idea when we'd know if the Kent game gets moved to Friday? 

It's my understanding they have to give us ticket holders a two-weeks advanced notice. So, if I'm not mistaken, it should be no later than this Friday.

10 hours ago, akzipper said:

Didn't Eastern Michigan have like a dozen people in the stands when we played them? 

Also Duquesne not even being listed is hilarious to me. Same with Ohio State. 

Part of this graphic - and maybe a majority of the graphic - is based on social media interaction. EMU has a decent social media presence. 

12 hours ago, akzipper said:

Didn't Eastern Michigan have like a dozen people in the stands when we played them? 

Also Duquesne not even being listed is hilarious to me. Same with Ohio State. 

I wouldn't put much weight into those rankings. Last weekend Ohio had 9k in attendance for their game against Miami. No way they should be behind CMU.

11 hours ago, zipsrowdy88 said:

The OOC schedule is great. If we win one of the Drake or Utah State games we absolutely have a shot at an at large if we won out. Now? Extremely Unlikely unless we NUKE the last 10 or so teams we play.

Had we beaten Utah State we would have played SFA instead of Drake. I think we would have had to beat Utah State, SFA (mainly because losing to them negates the Utah State win), and St. Bonnie to even enter the discussion. JMU is currently #63 in net and has a 20-3 record and nobody is discussing them as an at-large candidate. They would probably be a 4 or 5 seed in the NIT if the season ended today (assuming they didn't win their conference tournament).

Edited by kreed5120

15 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Had we beaten Utah State we would have played SFA instead of Drake. I think we would have had to beat Utah State, SFA (mainly because losing to them negates the Utah State win), and St. Bonnie to even enter the discussion. JMU is currently #63 in net and has a 20-3 record and nobody is discussing them as an at-large candidate. They would probably be a 4 or 5 seed in the NIT if the season ended today (assuming they didn't win their conference tournament).

Which is a crime.  Rigged 😕

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Which is a crime.  Rigged 😕

It really is. The P5-P6 are the most protected sports programs in the world. They rarely have to leave the comfort of their own facilities and they automatically get top opponents on their schedules. Ohio State is 13-10 and ranked 72nd despite only 1 Q1/Q2 win. Their schedule props them up. James Madison is 2-1 in Q1/Q2 wins despite 7 less opportunities, and are only 9 spots ahead of the Suckeyes. 

Conference schedules are more important than ever before. Akron is playing 20 games this year against absolute crap. The mid majors need to figure that out and either all commit to having winning programs, or shuffle the deck to create stronger mid major conferences (i.e. A10, Mountain West, etc.)

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 2