Games 4, 5 & 6- Cayman Islands Classic Basketball Tournament

clarkwgriswold

15 minutes ago, roopride said:

What time is the game today

7:30, and this is a big one. The Mountain West may be the best non-P6 conference, and Utah State looks to be one of the better teams within the conference. They are tall, athletic, and experienced. 

When the bracket came out earlier this year, this was the matchup we wanted and how we wanted it (both in the winners bracket). Time to earn the #2 mid major ranking. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94

1 hour ago, NWAkron said:

Loud and angry Zips contingent with some colorful comments for that one ref who looked right at the FIU player locking arms on Freeman and shook his head "no big deal."  He didn't ignore it.  He gave permission.

I think our loud and angry fan base was a decided adavantage to our guys. Late in the game Sammy looked back and started waving his arms at us to get louder. I admit that I did have a few choice words for the refs during opportune moments of quiet! 😤

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Hilltopper said:

I think our loud and angry fan base was a decided adavantage to our guys. Late in the game Sammy looked back and started waving his arms at us to get louder. I admit that I did have a few choice words for the refs during opportune moments of quiet! 😤

Yelling at the refs is really fun when you know they can hear you do to being in a small gym with a fairly small crowd.  I would estimate the FIU fans numbered about 5.

Two distinct voices last night both coming from the same row of the stands.  I hear the same voices at the JAR coming from the aisle between sections D & E.

Should be another fun evening tonight in Georgetown, Grand Cayman.

• Haha 1

The Freeman/Osobor matchup tonight should be a good one.  Osobor is 6'8" and appears to be pretty good in the post and on the pick and roll.  He also tends to draw a lot of fouls down low.   Here's hoping Enrique doesn't get in foul trouble.  Oddly, the Utah State website lists him as a "wing."  He's clearly a big.

The only player who saw the floor for Akron yesterday to score fewer than 5 points was Greg Tribble, who had 3. Also had 3 assists and 3 turnovers. I found it interesting that he, again, passed up a pretty open look in the paint. Still so valuable despite that performance.

As I said last night, it still seems like the game is a little fast for Scott. He has yet to make a three vs. a D1 team, but has shown to be a good finisher in transition, which is important considering he's a pretty good defensive guard. He and Tavari, along with Thornton who is transitioning to winning basketball  bit quicken than his NIU teammate Hankerson, will be a handful for opposing guards. Tribble too, obviously.

I was somewhat worried Freeman would have too quick a trigger from three at times, but he's taken really smart ones. He's 3-5 on the season, and none bigger than the dagger yesterday. His perimeter work may have also helped his FT shooting too, with only 6 misses through 4 games. 

Before all games were televised in some way or another, I used to rely on Steve French and Joe Dunn to tell the story for games like these. I have so many memories over the years of these early season away-from-home games against teams we should beat 9/10 times. I could hear them last night in my head, in disbelief at all of the bad passes and steals, jealous of the 3pt. shooting of Krivokapic. But last night, unlike so many of those Akron teams over the last 20 years, they sealed the deal. Not too unlike So. Miss, the flood gates opened late, and it started on DEFENSE.

Much like South Dakota State was one of the more impressive nonconference wins (despite the fact they still have not won a D1 game), beating Utah State would be just as impressive. In our third trip to the Caymans in six years, we only made it to the semis last year, which wound up being a sizable loss to LSU, in which the Zips led for a good chunk. There are 362 Division 1 teams, and the Zips and Aggies are separated by only 4 spots in KenPom. Their only loss was in OT at Bradley, a soon to be common opponent, and have a great offense-defense balance. They even play a similar tempo to Akron. 

Zips are -1.5 at the books.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

The Freeman/Osobor matchup tonight should be a good one.  Osobor is 6'8" and appears to be pretty good in the post and on the pick and roll.  He also tends to draw a lot of fouls down low.   Here's hoping Enrique doesn't get in foul trouble.  Oddly, the Utah State website lists him as a "wing."  He's clearly a big.

you hit the Trifecta:

Pick and Roll

Wing

Big

all in one post.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, LoyalZIP said:

The only player who saw the floor for Akron yesterday to score fewer than 5 points was Greg Tribble, who had 3. Also had 3 assists and 3 turnovers. I found it interesting that he, again, passed up a pretty open look in the paint. Still so valuable despite that performance.

As I said last night, it still seems like the game is a little fast for Scott. He has yet to make a three vs. a D1 team, but has shown to be a good finisher in transition, which is important considering he's a pretty good defensive guard. He and Tavari, along with Thornton who is transitioning to winning basketball  bit quicken than his NIU teammate Hankerson, will be a handful for opposing guards. Tribble too, obviously.

I was somewhat worried Freeman would have too quick a trigger from three at times, but he's taken really smart ones. He's 3-5 on the season, and none bigger than the dagger yesterday. His perimeter work may have also helped his FT shooting too, with only 6 misses through 4 games. 

Before all games were televised in some way or another, I used to rely on Steve French and Joe Dunn to tell the story for games like these. I have so many memories over the years of these early season away-from-home games against teams we should beat 9/10 times. I could hear them last night in my head, in disbelief at all of the bad passes and steals, jealous of the 3pt. shooting of Krivokapic. But last night, unlike so many of those Akron teams over the last 20 years, they sealed the deal. Not too unlike So. Miss, the flood gates opened late, and it started on DEFENSE.

Much like South Dakota State was one of the more impressive nonconference wins (despite the fact they still have not won a D1 game), beating Utah State would be just as impressive. In our third trip to the Caymans in six years, we only made it to the semis last year, which wound up being a sizable loss to LSU, in which the Zips led for a good chunk. There are 362 Division 1 teams, and the Zips and Aggies are separated by only 4 spots in KenPom. Their only loss was in OT at Bradley, a soon to be common opponent, and have a great offense-defense balance. They even play a similar tempo to Akron. 

Zips are -1.5 at the books.

Tavari has changed his game this year.  Really playing under control and not turning the ball over.  He seems to be more of a facilitator than a scoring threat.  His offense has been limited because he has not driven inside that much and his floaters have not been falling.  I have not checked the stats but I believe he has less than 4 turnovers all year. 

Edited by 1981 grad
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

Tavari has changed his game this year.  Really playing under control and not turning the ball over.  He seems to be more of a facilitator than a scoring threat.  His offense has been limited because he has not driven inside that much and his floaters have not been falling.  I have not checked the stats but I believe he has less than 4 turnovers all year. 

He had 5 opening night, but only 1 against D1 competition since then. To the eye, he still has a long way to go, but I agree his mean has looked better so far. That outburst against Nevada last year may always hang over his head, for better or for worse. 

Coach said on the post game we essentially have 4 starting point guards—talent wise. He isn’t wrong. Tavari would be a go-to guy on a lot of MAC teams. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, csims0917 said:

I think they’re turning Tavari into the facilitator especially with X graduating. His development as a facilitator will be crucial this year and for the success of his future teams where he’s more of a leader 

I'm hoping he can learn a little from his fellow Chicagoan Thornton.

9 minutes ago, csims0917 said:

I always joke our team is a bunch of kids from NE Ohio and chicago point guards :laugh_up:

...and the connection is working.  In the post-game last week Thornton told about how he knew X from being fellow Chicago players and how X and his former roommate Trendon Hankerson helped draw him to the Zips.

3 minutes ago, Illini Zip said:

There is nothing we can do about it, but I have to wonder how Ali’s presence would have affected these games.

I feel like it wouldn't be toooooo different. The main thing is I don't think Nate Johnson gets the opportunity to start. If Ali returned to 2021-22 form then Freeman might get some less double teams. But we have to remember Ali is still coming back from injury so I'm expecting a slow start if he comes back. I feel like we would just be deeper and playing an extra man in the daily lineup. 

Edited by csims0917

10 minutes ago, Illini Zip said:

There is nothing we can do about it, but I have to wonder how Ali’s presence would have affected these games.

I depends on whether we get the under control and composed Ali or the Ali that dribbles the air out of the ball backing down a defender while the rest of the team watches.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1