Game 18- PCCC

14 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

I once read a book about a corrupt ref who went to jail and he indicated that the NBA had their own agenda to make the league more marketable.  Since this was a nationalized TV game, maybe the refs kept the game close to make the game interesting for the the national audience.  

I don’t like it nor do I think it makes for a better (marketable) product, but I absolutely believe what you say is true. 

I was really busy at work this week and lost track of many things. Zips basketball was one of them. Nothing better than waking up on a Saturday morning, looking for where the Zips would be playing today and finding out they already won and the win was at Kent. 

• Like 3

I've seen so much complaining about refs after a win. MAC officiating is bad. It has always been bad. It will continue to be bad. Enjoy the win. 

Edited by GP1

39 minutes ago, MaxZIP said:

Making a return to Zips Nation after an 8+ year hiatus to say first and foremost Can’t sucks in every possible way.

Where ya been? You should be on here every week saying that. 🤣😂

Give a big shout out to Tavari.  The 2nd year player went from a starter to zero minutes.  When it came his turn to step up because of injury and illness, he had a great game against Kent.  I agree that they need to find him minutes when everyone gets healthy.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, zippy5 said:

I was unable to watch the game, but looking at the box score just a few thoughts

Chris Payton - lol you moron

No Tribble and still took care of business? Very nice

77 points and 5 assists. I'm afraid to ask, but how?

No Tribble nor Nate Johnson. Nate is a talented player as well.

19 minutes ago, GJGood said:

No Tribble nor Nate Johnson. Nate is a talented player as well.

Yes very much so. He should have been included, just wasn't because that wasn't a surprise, we know he's out. But having them both available hopefully next time and in Cleveland will be yuge

44 minutes ago, Illini Zip said:

I don’t like it nor do I think it makes for a better (marketable) product, but I absolutely believe what you say is true. 

It was an awful product for the fan of the team getting the short end of the stick. That's a 15+ pt win with even semi fair officiating. The end goal was to have an exciting finish, which they did, but how many people were still tuned in after Akron was up by 20? It was a 10 pt game at the half only because of a BS technical on Ali Ali and weak fouls on Akron. Akron ran an 8 man lineup last night, and for most of the 2nd half, we had 3 guys with 4 fouls, and an additional ~3 guys with 3 fouls. Someone else mentioned that Kent made adjustments and came out more physical, but the only way to stop physicality is with physicality. If you have 7 of your 8 players in foul trouble, you can't be physical. It drastically changed how we could counteract their physical game plan in the 2nd half. 

@NWAkron claims I have Kent Derangement Syndrome. I don't, but I do loathe PCCC. Yes, we won. But it's Kent. If we have the opportunity to pulverize them, I want to. I want them to feel embarrassed that they exist as a "university". That opportunity was stripped by screwy officiating in my opinion. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Even if that's the only post he makes weekly, it would be a positive contribution to the board. 

It's 11:50am and...

Can’t State still sucks…

but my Xbox gamertag I’m still rocking 15 years later does not

2955704.png

Edited by bUAkronG
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

Hate to have Tribble miss this one (and hope he's back 100% ASAP), but this gave Tavari the opportunity to get quality minutes in a fantastic, tense setting.  Like many here, I envision him with the highest ceiling of all of our PGs, so hopefully this is step 1 on a path towards fulfilling the promise he displayed early in his time at UA - something we've all been waiting for. Besides Rique and Ali playing up to the standards we've come to expect,  how about Dawson never giving up after an 0 for 8 (or whatever) start, continuing to fire away until they finally started to drop. Shooters have to shoot! Keep it up Zippers. I don't want the ride to end!

Edited by johnnyzip84
Better
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, johnnyzip84 said:

Hate to have Tribble miss this one (and hope he's back 100% ASAP), but this gave Tavari the opportunity to get quality minutes in a fantastic, tense setting.

We have 13 regular season games left, likely around 10 of those without Nate Johnson. Nate was averaging 25 minutes a game. That's a lot of basketball yet ahead of us and growth opportunity for the bench, especially for Tavari. Up until the Buffalo game, Groce had limited the roster to 8 players for the most part. That way he builds continuity within his rotations and frankly Tavari and Lyles were not grading out high enough. But if our entire bench keeps improving and playing winning minutes night in and night out, Groce would not only have better depth to lean on, he would have an opportunity to play differently. He could either play his starters slightly less and save their legs at times. Or play a style (which I love) that is more aggressive and uptempo. Constant ball-hawking on defense, leading to more fast-breaks. Right now Tavari (and Lyles) are fighting for minutes within the standard 8 man rotation, but a 9-10 man rotation is not entirely insane if warranted. We'll see how things progress and how quickly Nate can get back to form. I'm excited to see what Zips 3.0, Zips 4.0 and Zips 5.0 have in store for us.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, johnnyzip84 said:

Hate to have Tribble miss this one (and hope he's back 100% ASAP), but this gave Tavari the opportunity to get quality minutes in a fantastic, tense setting.  Like many here, I envision him with the highest ceiling of all of our PGs, so hopefully this is step 1 on a path towards fulfilling the promise he displayed early in his time at UA - something we've all been waiting for. Besides Rique and Ali playing up to the standards we've come to expect,  how about Dawson never giving up after an 0 for 8 (or whatever) start, continuing to fire away until they finally started to drop. Shooters have to shoot! Keep it up Zippers. I don't want the ride to end!

Did anyone else catch Dawson going over to calm down Groce after the second awful technical foul call? It's not often you see a player stepping up like. Most of the times it's coach that needs to calm down a player and help them control their emotions. But to see a young college kid do that is some next level maturity. 

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, akzipper said:

Did anyone else catch Dawson going over to calm down Groce after the second awful technical foul call? It's not often you see a player stepping up like. Most of the times it's coach that needs to calm down a player and help them control their emotions. But to see a young college kid do that is some next level maturity. 

I also think Groce has a bond with his players - especially the group of Freeman, Tribble, Dawson, and Ali - that not many coaches are able to build. 

• Like 1

One last note on this one: Pinky seems miserable. 

He never really got into it, and his body language didn’t exactly give off the most confident vibe. He sold his soul to the devil the last couple years and it’s showing. As great as Carry was, he never let Sendy coach him and Pinky was just along for the ride. Now, he’s miserable with the injuries on top of a flawed roster.

In 2019, he had Jaylin Walker get in a bar fight and miss senior night, then still play him in the tournament the following week in which they were bounced by CMU in their first game.

In 2020, they finished 6th.

In 2021, Danny Pippen beat the s*** out of Justyn Hamilton at the end of the season, and they were blown out in their lone tournament game. 

In 2022, Carry, who called Pinky and asked to play at his girlfriend’s school, led an improbable run only to end in embarrassment with a 20-point loss to rival Akron in the championship game. 

In 2023, they finally break through and win the tournament, again with a best player that refused to be coached. 

This season, he re-tooled his roster the best he could. Then injuries mounted up and he needed to bank on Reggie Bass to come up big, only for him to sit the final 8-10 minutes of the game he was so horrible. 

Winningest coach in their history. Now 13-18 vs. Akron, including a 7-8 record vs. Groce since he arrived at Akron with 4 scholarship players. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, akzipper said:

Oh yeah, Dawson's bear hug was timely no doubt. But wasn't it just a few minutes later when Groce went into his "marionette" mocking of the refs - that was hilarious!

• Like 2

On 1/20/2024 at 10:00 AM, NWAkron said:

Thanks.  Now do the Southland Conference.

At your request -

Southland: At this point in the season only 2 of the 10 teams in the Southland are above 500 overall. Neither one of these 2 has an in-conference losing record.

As a special bonus just because I like you -

Horizon League: At this point in the season 6 of 11 Horizon League teams are above 500 overall. One of them has a losing record in conference.

Big Ten: At this point in the season 12 of the 14 Big Ten teams have an overall W/L record above 500. Only 4 of them have an in-conference record above 500.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/21/2024 at 10:11 AM, LoyalZIP said:

In 2022, Carry, who called Pinky and asked to play at his girlfriend’s school, led an improbable run only to end in embarrassment with a 20-point loss to rival Akron in the championship game. 

I'll never forget him hitting that 3 and skipping his way down the court like an idiot as they went to a commercial break. Kent was still losing at the time, he didn't score another point the rest of the game and only finished with 6.

Edited by akzipper
  • Like 6
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...