Game 22- Toledo

The top two teams in the MAC face off Friday night at 9:00 p.m. in the JAR as the Toledo Rockets come in to face the Zips.  The Rockets come in at 8-1 in the MAC with their only loss at Mount Pleasant on January 19th.

Ra’Heim Moss, a 6’4” junior guard, leads Rockets scoring at 16.3 ppg while also pulling down 5.5 rpg.  6’2” junior guard Dante Maddox Jr. scores 15.6 ppg.  6’2” junior guard Tyler Cochran leads rebounding at 6.6 rpg and is the team’s leading scorer at 13.3 ppg.  The team has two freshman,  6’7” freshman forward Javan Simmons and 6’1” guard Sonny Wilson that are the team’s 4th and 5th leading scorers.

• Thanks 1

The way I see it is Toledo is Akron's only real competition in the MAC this season. Earlier in the year Kent looked like they had a solid team, but their wheels have since fallen off. That's not to say other teams aren't capable of beating us come March. Wacky things can happen in single elimination games.

• Like 2

This is going to be a heck of a game. I'm hoping a big crowd comes out despite the late start. Unless a significant injury happens to one of the teams, I do think this will be a MAC Championship preview. 

Also, with Kent hovering around the 7-8 spot I'll say this - I have no interest in drawing them in Cleveland. Anything can happen in a rivalry game, even when one roster is clearly better than the other.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Zippy87 said:

This is going to be a heck of a game. I'm hoping a big crowd comes out despite the late start. Unless a significant injury happens to one of the teams, I do think this will be a MAC Championship preview. 

Also, with Kent hovering around the 7-8 spot I'll say this - I have no interest in drawing them in Cleveland. Anything can happen in a rivalry game, even when one roster is clearly better than the other.

I'd love to see KSUcks left out of the MACT altogether

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

I'd love to see KSUcks left out of the MACT altogether

Wouldn't that be something? The Rocket Mortgage Fieldhouse would be the cleanest it's been in a long time for the MAC tourney if that were to happen. Fans wouldn't have that distinct PCCC stench to deal with. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Wouldn't that be something? The Rocket Mortgage Fieldhouse would be the cleanest it's been in a long time for the MAC tourney if that were to happen. Fans wouldn't have that distinct PCCC stench to deal with. 

It'd be fantastic. One of Ball State, EMU, Buffalo, or NIU would have to pass them. I'd guess Ball State the best possibility of the four.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Reslife4Life said:

Yeah why would Toledo be #1? We have the same conference record, and a better overall record. But honestly, I'd prefer to play out of the bottom of that specific bracket than the top

I'm assuming it has to do with head-to-head vs common opponents. Toledo's loss is to CMU whom we haven't played yet. Akron's lone loss is to Miami whom Toledo beat.

1 hour ago, clarkwgriswold said:

The top two teams in the MAC face off Friday night at 9:00 p.m. in the JAR as the Toledo Rockets come in to face the Zips.  The Rockets come in at 8-1 in the MAC with their only loss at Mount Pleasant on January 19th.

Ra’Heim Moss, a 6’4” junior guard, leads Rockets scoring at 16.3 ppg while also pulling down 5.5 rpg.  6’2” junior guard Dante Maddox Jr. scores 15.6 ppg.  6’2” junior guard Tyler Cochran leads rebounding at 6.6 rpg and is the team’s leading scorer at 13.3 ppg.  The team has two freshman,  6’7” freshman forward Javan Simmons and 6’1” guard Sonny Wilson that are the team’s 4th and 5th leading scorers.

Thanks for posting the time.  Last night on the telecast of the Zips game they indicated the start was at 7.  

1 hour ago, Reslife4Life said:

Yeah why would Toledo be #1? We have the same conference record, and a better overall record. But honestly, I'd prefer to play out of the bottom of that specific bracket than the top

Overall record is irrelevant in conference standings. They are obviously ahead on one of the MAC tie-breakers, but I really don't care to take the time to figure out which one it is. We play them twice still so it will be decided on the court.

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

I'm assuming it has to do with head-to-head vs common opponents. Toledo's loss is to CMU whom we haven't played yet. Akron's lone loss is to Miami whom Toledo beat.

This is the conclusion I came to as well.

2 hours ago, Reslife4Life said:

When we get in late February, I will post the MAC tournament simulator.  you can play out all the remaining MAC games to see how the teams will be seeded in different scenarios.

2 hours ago, feetg10 said:

We need to get a big crowd for this one.  Toledo has owned us over the years. We need to turn that around starting Friday night. 

Owned the Zips except in MAC tournament.  But, yeah, I, like everyone else, am tired of losing to them at the JAR>

Received this from Akron Athletics:

Akron Athletics Parking Update for Friday, February 2nd.

With Akron Athletics hosting the 20th Annual Akron Invitational for Indoor Track and Field as well as Men's Basketball vs Toledo on Friday, February 2nd, please follow the below parking guidelines.

For the Indoor Track and Field Meet, please park in Lots 6, 9, or 10 and follow the designated parking guidelines and applicable fees for each lot.

For the Men's Basketball game, please park in your designated lot on your parking pass or in Lot 1 and follow the designated guidelines and applicable fees for this lot.

Click here to purchase tickets for Men's Basketball vs Toledo.

Reminder: The Men's Basketball game vs Toledo is scheduled to tip-off at 9pm on Friday, February 2. If you received or purchased tickets for the Men's Basketball game vs Toledo prior to the date change, those tickets will still be valid for entry to the game.

For questions, please contact the Akron Athletics Ticket office at 888-992-5766 or tickets@uakron.edu

Go Zips!

On 1/31/2024 at 7:56 PM, Zippy87 said:

Received this from Akron Athletics:

Akron Athletics Parking Update for Friday, February 2nd.

With Akron Athletics hosting the 20th Annual Akron Invitational for Indoor Track and Field as well as Men's Basketball vs Toledo on Friday, February 2nd, please follow the below parking guidelines.

For the Indoor Track and Field Meet, please park in Lots 6, 9, or 10 and follow the designated parking guidelines and applicable fees for each lot.

For the Men's Basketball game, please park in your designated lot on your parking pass or in Lot 1 and follow the designated guidelines and applicable fees for this lot.

Click here to purchase tickets for Men's Basketball vs Toledo.

Reminder: The Men's Basketball game vs Toledo is scheduled to tip-off at 9pm on Friday, February 2. If you received or purchased tickets for the Men's Basketball game vs Toledo prior to the date change, those tickets will still be valid for entry to the game.

For questions, please contact the Akron Athletics Ticket office at 888-992-5766 or tickets@uakron.edu

Go Zips!

What do you suppose they're charging for parking for track meet in Lot 10? 🤔