2024 MAC Tournament

4 minutes ago, akzipper said:

Don't let the Kent brain fart foul distract us from the fact that the Zips absolutely deserved to win this game. That phantom foul on Ali with like 40 seconds left was the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. I have no idea what the ref saw there. Not only that Nate Johnson was WIDE OPEN at the baseline as the final foul was called. He would have had an easy layup for the win. 

Not to mention the no-call when Freeman got mugged by Hornbeak with a minute or so to go. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Illini Zip said:

Somebody explain the foul on Ali with 39 seconds left. No way is that a moving screen. Complete phantom call if you ask me. 

After the game I had this feeling that we maybe got lucky because of Kent fouling. After seeing the replay of the Ali "foul", I no longer feel that way. They almost robbed us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just a reminder...

After leading the Golden Flashes to this year's NCAA tournament, Kent gave its men's basketball coach a healthy raise, boosting his base salary from $285,000 to $375,000 as part of the three-year contract extension that runs through the 2028-29 season.

The gift that keeps on giving.

Posted (edited)

Went down to the lower area to near the tunnel to watch the celebration. I couldn't be more impressed by our guys.  A few took pictures with my son, who was on cloud nine. If there was any doubt he's going to grow up a die-hard Zips fan, that's gone. He's a lifer like his dad. 🙂

Some stories while we were down there: 

There was a little girl who asked Mikal to sign her Zips poster she made - he took it, said "I'll be back", and went and had all of the team sign it. Was chasing down each player so this young fan would have them all.  Just won a championship and thinking of others.

Sammy asked a young boy near my son if he was going to grow up and win a MAC Championship for the Zips. He also took a ton of pictures with kids and fans nearby. 

Enrique actually went into the stands to take pictures with the students who came. Took his shoes off and gave them to someone. Probably spent a good 10-15 minutes signing and taking pictures with fans.  He also went over to the band and celebrated/took pictures. We saw one band member ask him for his gamertag (basically his screen name on Playstation to play online with). I think he may have had some sort of disability, but I don't want to assume. Anyhow, Enrique took the student's phone, typed his gamertag in, and took a picture with him. Literally minutes after winning a championship.  

This group is one we can be very proud of for more than just being a fantastic basketball team 

Edited by Zippy87
  • Like 14

43 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Not to mention the no-call when Freeman got mugged by Hornbeak with a minute or so to go. 

I watched the replay of the Ali foul and it was a good call.  Ali set the screen and then moved in the same direction of the ball handler preventing the defender from defending.  Just a bad play by Ali.  However, Freeman did get fouled when he made a move to the basket in the last minute.  Finally, they let Freeman play when in the last minute he went up to block a ball and the Kent player missed and got his own rebound and then Freeman had the block of the game and came down with the ball.   There was some contact and the refs did not blow the whistle.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

41 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Just a reminder...

After leading the Golden Flashes to this year's NCAA tournament, Kent gave its men's basketball coach a healthy raise, boosting his base salary from $285,000 to $375,000 as part of the three-year contract extension that runs through the 2028-29 season.

The gift that keeps on giving.

He has the most wins in school history. Earned 

14 minutes ago, Illini Zip said:

It's actually my worst nightmare, conflicting loyalties, but I would be pulling for the Zips.

You can at least be glad that you aren't an Ohio State and Akron fan, like I am.  Not only do they (naturally) play each other with a lot more frequency than Illinois plays Akron, but also there's a contingent here that finds it disloyal or contemptible for Akron fans to be OSU fans.  We debate it sometimes! I hate it!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

The circus has their champion clown. It's the perfect marriage. 

264–163 (.618)
2 MAC Tourney Chips 
Coach of the year (2022)
Hell of a clown he is 

If the same thing happen to us (dumb foul)
You and others would be defending Groce saying it wasn't his fault. 

Let that man be 

Edited by dre22era