Game 29- Northern Illinois

Northern Illinois comes to the JAR Saturday off of an impressive and unexpected win over Toledo.  The Huskies stand at 10-18/4-11.

Pre-season All-MAC guard David Coit, a 5’11”  junior, continues to lead the Huskies at 19.9 ppg while also leading the team in assists. 6’7” junior forward Zarique Nutter contributes 15.4 ppg while adding 5.4 rpg.

The Zips beat the Huskies 73-51 in DeKalb to open the MAC season with Enrique leading the way with 21 and 10 and Coit leading the Huskies with 21 points.

• Thanks 2

It appears Nate Johnson returning has pushed Prather Jr out of the rotation, while Tavari only played 3 minutes. I know a lot can change, but I'd bet Groce will go hard after a starting PG in the portal this summer. If Tavari isn't trusted to be in the rotation now, it's hard to see him being the starting PG eight months from now. 

Malcolm Duvivier, Loren Cristian Jackson, Xavier Castaneda...he has a history of finding good one's in the portal.

Tavari has played a total of 888 career minutes.  I think if he matures as a player and hits the weights to bulk up he can still be a valuable upperclassman and  starter at some point.

I think Sharron Young will also be in the mix at PG next year.

Edited by clarkwgriswold
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Tavari has played a total of 888 career minutes.  I think if he matures as a player and hits the weights to bulk up he can still be a valuable upperclassman and  starter at some point.

I think Sharron Young will also be in the mix at PG next year.

I definitely agree on Tavari, I just don't see him starting next year. Is Young good enough to start right away?

11 hours ago, Zippy87 said:

It appears Nate Johnson returning has pushed Prather Jr out of the rotation, while Tavari only played 3 minutes. I know a lot can change, but I'd bet Groce will go hard after a starting PG in the portal this summer. If Tavari isn't trusted to be in the rotation now, it's hard to see him being the starting PG eight months from now. 

Malcolm Duvivier, Loren Cristian Jackson, Xavier Castaneda...he has a history of finding good one's in the portal.

How about recent history: Thornton and Scott?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Nate played 25 minutes to Sammy and Mikal's 23 on Tuesday night.  Any chance we see Nate return to the starting lineup Saturday?

At the moment I think I prefer him coming off the bench and leading the 2nd unit. I always felt the 5 you finish the game with is more meaningful than the 5 you start the game with.

• Like 4

Make sure to cheer extra loud for me tonight guys as I am out of town.  I hate to miss senior night!

NIU is likely to come in with some extra confidence after their win at Toledo.  Hopefully the Zips can put that down quickly with a fast start.

12 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

If Thornton wouldn’t have transferred, they probably have been 10-18/4-11 this season.

Will somebody please tell Groce to stop recruiting from Northern Illinois.  First, Trendon Hankerson and now Thornton.  

17 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

Will somebody please tell Groce to stop recruiting from Northern Illinois.  First, Trendon Hankerson and now Thornton.  

Agree.   I think the thugs at Can't State are much more wholesome targets.

In 2023, both MAC tournament championship game participants featured a player from a terrible 2022 Ball State team. All 3 top seeds in 2023 featured old MAC West transfers. This year, the clubhouse leader in the MAC after 15 games features an Old MAC West transfer who is top 10 in the MAC in assist and steal rate as a backup PG a season after leading the league in steals and assists as a starter. 

I wonder if Groce went after Kevin Miller and Payton Sparks, or even Jarron Coleman. Surely they would have been happy to come off the bench at Akron. 

• Like 1

The Zips were spoiled by bringing in LCJ and X through the transfer portal.  I think that skewed some of the expectations of their successors.  At the end of the day, you brin in kids who can contribute to the team.  Thornton has done that.   In a mere 16.4 minutes a game he leads the team in assists and and is second in steals.

• Like 1