Jump to content

Recommended Posts

On 2/16/2020 at 11:51 AM, kreed5120 said:

Sayles has been a good teammate thus far by not showing his displeasure of falling out of the rotation, but I'd be surprised to see him in a Zips uniform next season. As a freshmen he was playing 14.6 m/g. Last season he played 12.4 m/g. This season he's down to 5.4 and hasn't even appeared in the Zips last 2 games. Unlike some other Zips transfers who really weren't good enough to play D1 basketball, I could see Sayles being a meaningful contributor on an America East caliber team.

I agree that Sayles has been a good team player in that he has not played the last 2 games.  However, he got significant playing time against Eastern Michigan and was in the lineup at the end of the game.  He has lost some weight and put on some muscle.  It looks like he has bought into the Groce program and I think he will stay if Groce wants him to stay.  Since we are losing Riak that means that Sayles has an opportunity to get more minutes next year.  He just needs to work on his game.  When he has been playing he is playing with more intensity that last year.  You just wonder how his career might have been without the injuries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

I agree that Sayles has been a good team player in that he has not played the last 2 games.  However, he got significant playing time against Eastern Michigan and was in the lineup at the end of the game.  He has lost some weight and put on some muscle.  It looks like he has bought into the Groce program and I think he will stay if Groce wants him to stay.  Since we are losing Riak that means that Sayles has an opportunity to get more minutes next year.  He just needs to work on his game.  When he has been playing he is playing with more intensity that last year.  You just wonder how his career might have been without the injuries.

 

He was very confident his freshman year up until his injury. It's a shame. I think he stays as well, because this is the first year he has been healthy and his development should take a leap heading into next year. The speed of the game takes a while to catch up on, and that seems to be his biggest setback.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I need some recruiting news regarding our 3 open scholarships stat. Like without sports is rough.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LZIp said:

I need some recruiting news regarding our 3 open scholarships stat. Like without sports is rough.

 

Has there been any news on the transfer front? we might need a center to play behind reece

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LZIp said:

I need some recruiting news regarding our 3 open scholarships stat. Like without sports is rough.

 

This. x100000000000. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any opinions on 6’9 F from Centerville OH Mo Njie? In state kid still available and we really need some size. Holds a couple offers from bigger programs like Xavier and UD. Have to think he’s a top target for John Groce and staff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like I always say:

SIZE DOES NOT MATTER

 

Of course, it does. We could be one big away from another spectacular season. We look to be fairly long, but REALLY need that GOOD 6'11 guy in the middle. It would make a huge difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Bigzip1 said:

Any opinions on 6’9 F from Centerville OH Mo Njie? In state kid still available and we really need some size. Holds a couple offers from bigger programs like Xavier and UD. Have to think he’s a top target for John Groce and staff.

I'd love to start beating UD & Xavier for recruits.  Have we offered him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, akronzips71 said:

Like I always say:

SIZE DOES NOT MATTER

 

Of course, it does. We could be one big away from another spectacular season. We look to be fairly long, but REALLY need that GOOD 6'11 guy in the middle. It would make a huge difference.

+1.  We still don't have a piece to plug into Riak's spot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know nothing of this kid from Centerville, but if Groce thinks he'd be a good fit and thinks there is enough mutual interest then sure go after him. That being said, as a true freshmen he wouldn't solve our immediate need at the 5 position. We need to land a JUCO or grad transfer.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

I still don't think I've gotten an answer on this. Do we have a scholarship left to offer anyone?

I think we still have 2 open:

  1. LCJ
  2. Reece
  3. Ali
  4. Tribble
  5. Dawson
  6. Dailey
  7. Trimble
  8. Currie
  9. Clarke
  10. Edwards
  11. Marshall
  12. ?
  13. ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We offered him in may of last year. Heard he might be taking the post grad route I think the bigger schools have cooled down on him. Maybe would have been a impact freshman in the MAC mobile 6’9 - 6’10 can finish at the rim and has good defensive instincts. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/7/2020 at 2:47 PM, RowdyZip said:

I think we still have 2 open:

  1. LCJ
  2. Reece
  3. Ali
  4. Tribble
  5. Dawson
  6. Dailey
  7. Trimble
  8. Currie
  9. Clarke
  10. Edwards
  11. Marshall
  12. ?
  13. ?

 

Amazing. If this is accurate, the ability to add 2 more players to this squad would be incredibly beneficial. I feel like the 11 we have currently could win the MAC again, but to add anyone to that would be a massive bonus. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From Jeff Goodman- Sacred Heart transfer Cameron Parker (9.9 ppg, 7.8 apg) told me his finalists are FIU, Hawaii , Portland State, Montana and Akron. Sophomore set NCAA single-game assists record with 24.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, ZIPS96 said:

From Jeff Goodman- Sacred Heart transfer Cameron Parker (9.9 ppg, 7.8 apg) told me his finalists are FIU, Hawaii , Portland State, Montana and Akron. Sophomore set NCAA single-game assists record with 24.

So if he picks us he would sit out 2020-21 and join Tribble as a Junior in 2021-22 as PG with Clarke as a Sophomore.  I am fine with that but still need a big eligible to play this year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, ZIPS96 said:

From Jeff Goodman- Sacred Heart transfer Cameron Parker (9.9 ppg, 7.8 apg) told me his finalists are FIU, Hawaii , Portland State, Montana and Akron. Sophomore set NCAA single-game assists record with 24.

What an odd assortment of schools.  Wonder what they all have in common (and that's not rhetorical)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, NWAkron said:

What an odd assortment of schools.  Wonder what they all have in common (and that's not rhetorical)

 

It's probably not that they all have something in common, but he likes them all for different reasons. For example, he's from Oregon so Portland State & Montana would get him closer to home

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On his Twitter account he hinted he was looking for the school with a grad program that gave him the best shot at becoming a certified Dental Floss Tycoon. 

 

Dead giveaway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, NWAkron said:

What an odd assortment of schools.  Wonder what they all have in common (and that's not rhetorical)

 

I think he is either looking for an area with wonderful water or mountain views (FIU, HAW, PORT, MONT) or a Sagarin rating less than 150 (AKRON).

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

On his Twitter account he hinted he was looking for the school with a grad program that gave him the best shot at becoming a certified Dental Floss Tycoon. 

 

Dead giveaway.

I thought we dropped that program?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...