Jump to content

Recommended Posts

On 4/12/2019 at 9:49 AM, Hilltopper said:

KD once explained to me the plight of the mid-majors. If you want to field a team that has a chance to make some noise comprimises have to be made when recruiting players. The P5 schools gobble up all the sure bet players. Some of them may never see the floor, but hey they played for Duke, NC, etc...  That leaves guys who have talent but also some baggage that scared away the big schools. Guys like Tree(bad temper), BigDog(weight issues), Harney(weed, attitude), etc...  For a mid-major coach to be successful he has to juggle all these guys with problems and find enough other role players to put together a winning team. Sometimes those combinations just don't work out. With the advent of the transfer rules it has made it easy for players and coaches to get a divorce. 

Somebody told me that the year he recruited Tree and Harney was the year that Larry Nance went to KD and wanted Little Larry to go to Akron but KD had recruited Tree and Harney and did not have a scholarship for Nance and wanted him to walk on.  I have no idea if this is true but if it is true it just support his theory that you never know what combinations will work out.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

Somebody told me that the year he recruited Tree and Harney was the year that Larry Nance went to KD and wanted Little Larry to go to Akron but KD had recruited Tree and Harney and did not have a scholarship for Nance and wanted him to walk on.  I have no idea if this is true but if it is true it just support his theory that you never know what combinations will work out.  

Both Larry Nance Jr. and C.J. McCollum wanted to attend UA and KD had scholarships available for neither.  Can you believe it? 🤢🤢🤮

  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

Somebody told me that the year he recruited Tree and Harney was the year that Larry Nance went to KD and wanted Little Larry to go to Akron but KD had recruited Tree and Harney and did not have a scholarship for Nance and wanted him to walk on.  I have no idea if this is true but if it is true it just support his theory that you never know what combinations will work out.  

2 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Both Larry Nance Jr. and C.J. McCollum wanted to attend UA and KD had scholarships available for neither.  Can you believe it? 🤢🤢🤮

 

Embarrassing. Inexcusable. Negligible. Horrendous. 

 

Any other negative words I can use to describe how atrocious the above comments are? Ooo, atrocious. Add that. 

 

I'm not surprised Larry Jr. wanted to come to Akron. I played in the summer youth camps with him. It was very cool seeing Sr., Jr., and Pete all at the JAR consistently for those camps each year. The Nance family is all about their hometown area, and Larry would have excelled in Blue & Gold. He put Wyoming on the map; imagine where Akron would have been (granted those were the years we became semi-ranked and garnered a lot of national media attention). I'm glad KD is gone, especially after reading this. This is similar to the Browns not drafting Clay Matthews Jr. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

 

Embarrassing. Inexcusable. Negligible. Horrendous. 

 

Any other negative words I can use to describe how atrocious the above comments are? Ooo, atrocious. Add that. 

 

I'm not surprised Larry Jr. wanted to come to Akron. I played in the summer youth camps with him. It was very cool seeing Sr., Jr., and Pete all at the JAR consistently for those camps each year. The Nance family is all about their hometown area, and Larry would have excelled in Blue & Gold. He put Wyoming on the map; imagine where Akron would have been (granted those were the years we became semi-ranked and garnered a lot of national media attention). I'm glad KD is gone, especially after reading this. This is similar to the Browns not drafting Clay Matthews Jr. 

I disagree!  My point was that it is difficult to determine who will excel in college.  Larry had some type of fatigue problem that  was finally diagnosed when he was in college and after he got better his career took off.  Tree and Harney were great recruits who had their issues at Akron.  Tree is playing great ball in Israel.  Not sure what Harney is doing.  Glad to see Little Larry playing so well for the Cavs.  I also agree that the Nance family is first rate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

I disagree!  My point was that it is difficult to determine who will excel in college.  Larry had some type of fatigue problem that  was finally diagnosed when he was in college and after he got better his career took off.  Tree and Harney were great recruits who had their issues at Akron.  Tree is playing great ball in Israel.  Not sure what Harney is doing.  Glad to see Little Larry playing so well for the Cavs.  I also agree that the Nance family is first rate.

 

I agree it's difficult to determine who will excel in college, but you don't pass on a local bloodline like the Nance family. Not only did Sr. excel in the NBA, but now Jr. is excelling and Pete is at Northwestern. It's a family of athletes. If one of them expresses interest in your school - especially a school like Akron - you leave a scholarship open for them. Tree is one of my all-time favorite Zips to watch, but I would have taken the chance on Nance Jr., even with his supposed "fatigue" problems, over Harney who had academic & hustle issues. Hindsight is 20/20, though.

 

I don't disagree with CJ McCollum. He was a scorer, so he had that going for him, but he exploded out of nowhere. I just think Nance is a huge miss, especially if there was mutual interest. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

 

I agree it's difficult to determine who will excel in college, but you don't pass on a local bloodline like the Nance family. Not only did Sr. excel in the NBA, but now Jr. is excelling and Pete is at Northwestern. It's a family of athletes. If one of them expresses interest in your school - especially a school like Akron - you leave a scholarship open for them. Tree is one of my all-time favorite Zips to watch, but I would have taken the chance on Nance Jr., even with his supposed "fatigue" problems, over Harney who had academic & hustle issues. Hindsight is 20/20, though.

 

I don't disagree with CJ McCollum. He was a scorer, so he had that going for him, but he exploded out of nowhere. I just think Nance is a huge miss, especially if there was mutual interest. 

I may be wrong but I think Wyoming might have been his only division one offer and that came from a Nance Sr. connection.  I do not believe Larry was highly recruited and Kd went for Harney and Tree who probably had better high school careers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In hindsight, anybody would have been an improvement over the underachieving malcontent whiner Harney.  That guy's my second least favorite Zip of all-time, right behind Khadim Gueye (and it's close).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They went onto play at Lehigh and Wyoming. I also think both only had 1 D1 offer. If anyone reputable believed they would turn out to be half as they ended up being they would have at least received A10 or MVC offers. Some guys just really develop and flourish after high school. Ja Morant & Steph Curry are other examples.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lets clear some things up. KD did offer Nance a scholarship but his dad encouraged him to go to Wyoming. Larry Shyatt was a mentor to Nance sr and he felt that would be the best place for his son. As fars as McCollum is concerned, it is true that there was not a scholarship available for him. KD is a very loyal guy. Until the recent madness surrounding the transfer portal he would never dream of pulling a scholarship just to give it to another recruit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

but you don't pass on a local bloodline like the Nance family.

Summit Racing Motorsports Park in Norwalk will be offering scholarships to both boys once their playing careers are over, so we can hear "SUNDAY!  At Norwalk Raceway!!!  Come on out and watch Drag Racing with the Nances!!!!"  😂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Hilltopper said:

Lets clear some things up. KD did offer Nance a scholarship but his dad encouraged him to go to Wyoming. Larry Shyatt was a mentor to Nance sr and he felt that would be the best place for his son. As fars as McCollum is concerned, it is true that there was not a scholarship available for him. KD is a very loyal guy. Until the recent madness surrounding the transfer portal he would never dream of pulling a scholarship just to give it to another recruit. 

Thanks for clearing that up.  I started this topic when somebody told me that Nance Sr. wanted Kd to offer Larry and he did not offer.  I did not know if this was true and indicated in my post.   My point being that you never know who is going to excel in college.  Coming out of high school Tree and Harney were great recruits for Kd.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

Coming out of high school Tree and Harney were great recruits for Kd.  

I would say they were "high-risk/high reward" recruits. And in the end the risk outweighed the rewards.

 

I don't fault KD for giving them a shot, but it seems like the exception rather than the rule that non-qualifiers pan out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...