Toledo- 1/28/22

clarkwgriswold

Largely agree with CK. This team is very streaky offensively and defensively. There are moments of greatness where teams can't get a good shot in 30 seconds of shot clock and there are there fair share of easy driving layups like those final Dambrot teams gave up constantly. Toledo has about the same depth as UA, but their three-headed monster of Shumate, Rollins, Millner, and you can even throw in RayJ Dennis is absolutely rock solid. Being on the road in a gym the Zips haven't won in since 2013, I think we may need to see good games from X, Ali, Trimble, and even a jolt from Dawson off the bench in order to eek out a win. Toledo is playing the best basketball in the league right now, and it isn't really close. 

The BG game showed us just how great the Zips can be, and the Kent game showed us just how bad they can be. As everyone else has said, recent efforts, especially slow starts, will not be remotely good enough. Funny enough, both teams tonight have won every game they've played since losing @ Kent. 

In the grand scheme of conference play, this is certainly a loss that I would be unhappy with, but ultimately okay with. I'm sure the Zips are exhausted after this stretch of games especially with most of them being so close. Perhaps Trimble jumping right back into things after his absence has been the cause of his slump. I'm not sure. I fear we may see the Zips limp into this week off of games, but with a win they go into it with all the confidence in the world and the belief in the chance to win a title. Either way, I'm glad the little break is coming when the Zips don't have a ton of momentum, as opposed to when it came post-Wright State in December. 

Let's Go Zips!!!!

(Edit: As of this post, the line is now down to Toledo -7. Vegas liking the Zips for some reason.)

Edited by LoyalZIP

As I read these posts, I agree with everybody.  We need to play our best game and we are dependent on Trimble to shoot well from 3 when he has been terrible in 5 of his last 6 games.  I liked his game against Western Michigan where he stopped shooting the 3 and was 5 of 6 from the field and driving to the hoop and taking short jumpers.  However, he keeps going back to the 3 ball.  Also, in the last game he could not get by the screens and he really hurt us on defense.  If the Zips play with energy, rebound well and shoot better than 40%, I think this could be a competitive game.  Otherwise, I believe we will see a double digit loss or maybe a loss by more than 20.  My problem is if the Zips could not get up for the game against Kent only 20 minutes away, what makes me think they will get up for this game 2 hours away.

• Like 1

I won't be as pessimistic as 1981, but I am realistic.  The MAC is separating into 4 groups:  1.  Toledo and Ohio   2.  Akron, Buffalo, and Kent.  3.  Ball State, Bowling Green, and Miami. 4.  The directional schools.

Difference between groups 1 and 2 is consistency.  

The Zips are consistently inconsistent which can be its own pattern I guess.  But Toledo's talent and also being at home, the Zips are no match unless Toledo goes cold and the Zips get hot.  My prediction is Toledo gets out to a good lead and nurses it for the rest of the game.   I think it will be like the Ohio game without Ohio's late game brain freeze.

• Like 1

I would say Ali, Trimble or Castaneda could carry the team on any given night against most competition. Tonight we might need a couple of them to have good shooting performances with the regular support from Freeman, etc. I also agree with @1981 grad that Trimble needs to continue to be multi-faceted with his mid-range game. That's how he stays in the starting line-up while being streaky from deep. And @Blue & Gold and others have pointed out Trimble's liability at the defensive end. Trimble should be guarding the opponents wing. If he can't stay in front of his guy, please coach, bring in Dawson.

I also need to see Clarke continue to grow. He is really picking up his defense nicely and has hit a couple of shots, but has yet to show that he can break down the defense off the dribble or pick and roll. I have him and Tavari Johnson penciled in at the PG spot next year with Castaneda splitting his time between the two guard spots. And Tribble backing up at the shooting guard spot. But Clarke is just not there yet. Plenty of basketball yet to play though. Come on Clarke, you got this.

Finally, even though I have seen limited video of Sekou Sada Kalle, I have hopes he will become the next Xeyrius Williams. He is a big 6-10" forward who moves very well and is strong at the hoop. But even though his highlight videos show limited shooting from range, he has a nice release and can hit from the top of the key and beyond the arc. Hello, Stretch Four anybody. I would like to think he is progressing in practice and we might get to see him yet this year.

Edited by Illini Zip
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Illini Zip said:

I would say Ali, Trimble or Castaneda could carry the team on any given night against most competition. Tonight we might need a couple of them to have good shooting performances with the regular support from Freeman, etc. I also agree with @1981 grad that Trimble needs to continue to be multi-faceted with his mid-range game. That's how he stays in the starting line-up while being streaky from deep. And @Blue & Gold and others have pointed out Trimble's liability at the defensive end. Trimble should be guarding the opponents wing. If he can't stay in front of his guy, please coach, bring in Dawson.

I also need to see Clarke continue to grow. He is really picking up his defense nicely and has hit a couple of shots, but has yet to show that he can break down the defense off the dribble or pick and roll. I have him and Tavari Johnson penciled in at the PG spot next year with Castaneda splitting his time between the two guard spots. And Tribble backing up at the shooting guard spot. But Clarke is just not there yet. Plenty of basketball yet to play though. Come on Clarke, you got this.

Finally, even though I have seen limited video of Sekou Sada Kalle, I have hopes he will become the next Xeyrius Williams. He is a big 6-10" forward who moves very well and is strong at the hoop. But even though his highlight videos show limited shooting from range, he has a nice release and can hit from the top of the key and beyond the arc. Hello, Stretch Four anybody. I would like to think he is progressing in practice and we might get to see him yet this year.

Kalle and Williams is not a comparison that’s ever came to my mind, but I hope you’re right! I’ve always seen him as a traditional 5. I would think Deng Riak more realistic.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 1

I wish we were seeing more of Kalle on the floor.  Partly because it would be a sign of the Zips getting a comfortable lead.  I also think he could be some much needed big man help for Freeman and Aziz.  I don't see him ever being the finesse player Xeryius was but he has shown signs he could be decent player.

And Clark strikes again.  I have seen him be late on passes all season.  He just seems to be a step behind the other players.  Glad to see Groce pull him immediately after that pass.  Great to see Dawson hit a three.  Or players must rebound better.  Ali and Trimble need to be more aggressive.  As much as Ali has improved he needs to be better on the boards.  Need a big game from Freeman.

Problem is that they need Clarke.  Castaneda can't play every minute and Tribble can only do spot duty at the point.  I am perplexed at how Clarke has gone backwards.  Every time we see a sign of progress...     One step forward two steps back.

Edited by clarkwgriswold
  • Like 1