Northern Illinois- 2/8/22

clarkwgriswold

We do have trouble inbounding at times though.

Edit: Groce said in post-game interview that Freeman doesn't ever inbound the ball. Freeman took ownership for the mistake, let alone the turn-over. Offering to run suicides as a self-imposed punishment. Ha!! He's just too good to be real.

Edited by Illini Zip
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

This team is exhausting to watch.

I disagree.  I love watching this team.  We scored a lot of points in the paint tonight.  We had great passing finding the open man.  Tribble played his best game.  We did not have a long scoring drought because we were scoring inside.  This team is getting the ball into the most consistent player, Freeman.  Ali and Trimble had an off night and we still lead the entire game.  I liked the fact that Trimble went inside for his first shot and basket.  He then aired a couple of 3 balls.  He messed up on D and Groce pulled him.  Wynn is a better rebounder than Trimble and Dawson is a better defender.   I was surprised that Groce did not put him back in but the team was playing real well without him.

My only complaint is on D Groce had us double team on the post leading to some open 3 balls.  Freeman is a great defender and there is no reason to double team unless he thought the double team would keep Freeman out of foul trouble.  I believe the Zips are playing the best ball of the season and I hope it continues Friday against Kent.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

I disagree.  I love watching this team.  We scored a lot of points in the paint tonight.  We had great passing finding the open man.  Tribble played his best game.  We did not have a long scoring drought because we were scoring inside.  This team is getting the ball into the most consistent player, Freeman.  Ali and Trimble had an off night and we still lead the entire game.  I liked the fact that Trimble went inside for his first shot and basket.  He then aired a couple of 3 balls.  He messed up on D and Groce pulled him.  Wynn is a better rebounder than Trimble and Dawson is a better defender.   I was surprised that Groce did not put him back in but the team was playing real well without him.

My only complaint is on D Groce had us double team on the post leading to some open 3 balls.  Freeman is a great defender and there is no reason to double team unless he thought the double team would keep Freeman out of foul trouble.  I believe the Zips are playing the best ball of the season and I hope it continues Friday against Kent.

That wasn't a criticism.  But it's a grind, and they keep us on edge for most of the game.  That's all I meant.   I'm really fond of this team.  They are finding different ways to win each of these games, but my anxiety would prefer a few blow outs thrown in.  We will see if belief in winning will be enough in March.  

Edited by NWAkron
  • Like 1

With the way Clarke, X and Tribble are playing I'd give some serious consideration to bringing Trimble off the bench. Cudos to Groce for developing depth as we go deep into the season. Wynn looks like he gets it now and Aziz is improving. We aren't there yet, but I like that we are continuing to get better. 

It's 10:23 and Kent ......

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

That wasn't a criticism.  But it's a grind, and they keep us on edge for most of the game.  That's all I meant.   I'm really fond of this team.  They are finding different ways to win each of these games, but my anxiety would prefer a few blow outs thrown in.  We will see if belief in winning will be enough in March.  

I did not take it as a criticism.  I just love the way the Zips are playing and not relying on the 3 ball.  They won with strong passing, getting the ball inside, and playing good defense.  Northern made some tough shots the first half and I knew if the Zips kept up the defense those shots would not fall in the 2nd half.  The only mistake was Freeman inbounding the ball instead of Ali in the last minute and Ali missing 2 free throws.  When Ali and Trimble are off, we usually lose.  That did not happen tonight.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

I did not take it as a criticism.  I just love the way the Zips are playing and not relying on the 3 ball.  They won with strong passing, getting the ball inside, and playing good defense.  Northern made some tough shots the first half and I knew if the Zips kept up the defense those shots would not fall in the 2nd half.  The only mistake was Freeman inbounding the ball instead of Ali in the last minute and Ali missing 2 free throws.  When Ali and Trimble are off, we usually lose.  That did not happen tonight.

Agree, these wins aren't luck or accident.  They are winning in different ways and this is the second game I can remember in which they won with a massive FT advantage.  But I look at the stats of 52%, 40%, and 82% and wonder how they only won by 6.  Those guys have to be brimming with confidence but not over confidence.

Nice win, can’t complain about that at the end of the day Wynn got hosed on the replay, what a huge play and effort by him, he’s coming along nicely. Another double figure game for Tribble, I’m willing to extend him a Riak-type leash on threes. He must be wide open and only gets one a game unless he makes the first. 

Solid game all around, save for Trimble. Just another off night for him. Fortunately, Clarke and Dawson brought it again as did Wynn. 

I’ve never seen so many blown leads like that, with multiple possessions to extend the lead to around 10. It’s like at Toledo when it got down to a 4-point game and UA turned it over three times in a row. This group commits some bad turnovers, this game should’ve been at least a 15-point win, but again beggars can’t be choosers. 

I’ve come to realize this team just lacks a killer instinct. They don’t have an LCJ that can run up full speed and take a transition three or drive it inside and get a layup or a foul in a moment that they have momentum. That’s the downside to being so half-court. Anyway, a nice win, and  a BIG BIG game coming up on Friday. I don’t know about you, but my heart needs every second of rest it can get leading up to it. These guys are tough, and I’m proud of them. Go Zips!

• Like 2