Transfer Portal Watch

Zippy87

3 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

If Ali does in fact come home we’re going to be stacked deeper than any Zips team I can ever remember. Speculating a starting five & two deep will give us a lot of conversation.

On paper, might be the most quality depth since 2012-13. 

This whole Ali Ali deal is starting to seem a little fishy. If he's coming, say so, and work out the details (academia???) later.

Either he wants to be at Akron, or  he doesn't. Be it now or 24-25. Either the Zips want him at Akron or they don't. Be it now or in 24-25.

Or maybe I/we are just frustrated with the whole deal.

Yes, he makes the Zips better, if/when he plays. But this is starting to have an air of entitlement about it, and I'm not sure that is worth it.

• Confused 1

59 minutes ago, RoyalBlu said:

This whole Ali Ali deal is starting to seem a little fishy. If he's coming, say so, and work out the details (academia???) later.

Either he wants to be at Akron, or  he doesn't. Be it now or 24-25. Either the Zips want him at Akron or they don't. Be it now or in 24-25.

Yes, he makes the Zips better, if/when he plays. But this is starting to have an air of entitlement about it, and I'm not sure that is worth it.

I’m not sure what there is to be frustrated about. Sure, he’s either here or he isn’t. There is a process to things. It’s May. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RoyalBlu said:

Concern noted.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2023 at 1:14 PM, Captain Kangaroo said:

Of course, when I asked newly-hired Rob Ianello if I could stop by his office and interview him, he stuck his open hand in my face and stated - "We had FIVE fans sites covering us at Notre Dame...FIVE!" 

IIRC, you told that story at a dinner before an Akron West Virginia basketball game about a decade ago and I believe it was Dr. Z who responded that he wished you would have replied "we only have ONE at Akron" while showing him the appropriate finger.  🤣😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, mes102 said:

So what does this mean for Freeman? Does this hurt/help him coming back? Or is it a given he won't back out of the draft? 

I would think Ali coming back doesn't have much to do with him staying in the draft. He'll either be projected to get drafted and stay in it, or go back to college. If he withdraws, Ali coming back has to help with ensuring he stays here.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, mes102 said:

So what does this mean for Freeman? Does this hurt/help him coming back? Or is it a given he won't back out of the draft? 

I don't know much about the whole process, but I don't see much, if any, chance at this point that Freeman WON'T be with Akron next year. He has been participating in practices and has been plastered all over UA social media. 

Maybe I'm wrong, but a guy that is getting serious looks at the NBA probably isn't practicing with his team deep into April/May

• Like 3