Game 3 - Kentucky

ZippyRulz

It's not about "calming down" and it's not about being an overly negative Nancy troll.

It's about being frustrated. Did anyone expect Akron to beat Kentucky coming into the season? No. However, it was circled with a "maybe" next to it based on what we saw from our offense last year. What we are witnessing is a complete regression on offense that is way closer to Arth Ball than supposed JoeMo Ball. That is what's so damn frustrating about that game last night. We're an embarrassment on the side of the ball that draws interest, draws fans, and is supposed to be the absolute strength of the head coach. What's even more frustrating is Kentucky tried to, at the very least, allow that game to be a one score loss if not an Akron upset. It was right there for most of the game, and only got away from us after we failed to capitalize on a plethora of opportunities. Our offense looks like I'm watching with DirecTV from the mid-00s on a stormy day - constantly buffering, never smooth. Gaining 2 yds is incredibly difficult and everything is side to side - not up the field. It's one of the worst offenses I've ever witnessed, and that's not hyperbole. To top it off, we have don't have a reliable, DI kicker, so even 3 points on a stalled drive is difficult. I don't care as much about the shoot-yourself-in-the-foot crap; those few plays are amplified with every play mattering in our garbage offense. 

Our defense will win us some games this year, and I'm hoping we have enough on offense to win a few more in the MAC. But man, I am incredibly frustrated right now. I expected to progress this year, not regress, at least offensively. 

• Like 8

This week's advanced box score: https://collegefootballdata.com/boxscore/401520228

Unfortunately, what jumps off the page is Akron's success with scoring opportunities. It didn't feel like it while watching, but Akron got the ball inside the Kentucky 40 just as many times as UK got it inside Akron's 40. Penalties, drops, missed kicks, and we leave Lexington with 3 points. That is what bad football teams do, and that's why my concern is growing.

Last year, coach had DJ slinging it 10-15 yards down the field on sideline comebacks all game long. Long, difficult, strong throws and the likes of SJL and DG and AA would bring them down and help us move the ball. Now, in addition to not being able to finish, it's a battle to just get 5-6 yards on a pass play. I question either QBs ability to make throws down field and make good/quick decisions. Both of them look so fragile and scared.

With that said, I simply do not understand why Anderson and Lingard aren't used more. Those guys should get twice as many touches per game. They're easy to get the ball to, and both of them run hard and strong. We can't waste their time with Akron.

Defensively, I was impressed again. The most glaring error was the TD before the half, granted that was a hell of a pitch and catch. And the long TD off the shoulda been sack was bad, but unfortunately these guys still have trouble finishing. A MAC QB/RB give up on that play, not Kentucky.

Special teams--not acceptable. Bobby Golden has played like 7 games in an Akron uniform and he's got to have the UA record for most muffed punts in a career. And we don't have a kicker. If we don't get the ball inside the 25, we will not score any points.

Frustration is the word of the season so far. The last God knows how many seasons, it's been apathy. Now, there are very reasonable expectations of scoring points and forcing turnovers, and they have not delivered. After a quarter of the season, I have been frustrated and upset after each game. Not good. I'm not even sure what direction they can go to make something happen at this point.

• Like 3

Our passing attack is so anemic can anyone remember DJ throwing a pass down field that could have been caught.  When he drops back and surveys the field, I cannot remember one completion.  He throws it quick on a short pass or not at all.  He drops back and then scrambles.  Sometimes for a gain but most times he just runs.  The best plays were his design runs and quarterback draws.  We still keep shooting ourselves in the foot with muffed punts, drive killing penalties, and dropped passes that kills drives.  Unfortunately, we have witnessed bad football for the last 6 years and we thought this year would be different.   Our inability to make a field goal is just piling on to this teams frustration.  For the optimist on the board, the defense looks good but for the sack that wasn't and giving up a touchdown seconds before the half which is now an Akron sacred tradition.

1 hour ago, LoyalZIP said:

This week's advanced box score: https://collegefootballdata.com/boxscore/401520228

Unfortunately, what jumps off the page is Akron's success with scoring opportunities. It didn't feel like it while watching, but Akron got the ball inside the Kentucky 40 just as many times as UK got it inside Akron's 40. Penalties, drops, missed kicks, and we leave Lexington with 3 points. That is what bad football teams do, and that's why my concern is growing.

Last year, coach had DJ slinging it 10-15 yards down the field on sideline comebacks all game long. Long, difficult, strong throws and the likes of SJL and DG and AA would bring them down and help us move the ball. Now, in addition to not being able to finish, it's a battle to just get 5-6 yards on a pass play. I question either QBs ability to make throws down field and make good/quick decisions. Both of them look so fragile and scared.

With that said, I simply do not understand why Anderson and Lingard aren't used more. Those guys should get twice as many touches per game. They're easy to get the ball to, and both of them run hard and strong. We can't waste their time with Akron.

Defensively, I was impressed again. The most glaring error was the TD before the half, granted that was a hell of a pitch and catch. And the long TD off the shoulda been sack was bad, but unfortunately these guys still have trouble finishing. A MAC QB/RB give up on that play, not Kentucky.

Special teams--not acceptable. Bobby Golden has played like 7 games in an Akron uniform and he's got to have the UA record for most muffed punts in a career. And we don't have a kicker. If we don't get the ball inside the 25, we will not score any points.

Frustration is the word of the season so far. The last God knows how many seasons, it's been apathy. Now, there are very reasonable expectations of scoring points and forcing turnovers, and they have not delivered. After a quarter of the season, I have been frustrated and upset after each game. Not good. I'm not even sure what direction they can go to make something happen at this point.

Up fron,did not watch more than a few inutes of the game. Looked at all the stats, however. Couple of things jumped. Nunnally is a beast at this level! The defense for now is fine. But, it can't score points...Oh, wait the defense scored a TD last week and won the game?!

Puzzling offensive stats. Irons threw the ball 39 times and completed 24 for only 130 yards? Undercuffler was 6-7 for 60 yards. Thats a lot of passing for that little amount of yardage. Akron ran the ball 23 times for 69 yards(I am excluding the Undercffler sack). Irons had 13 of those 23 carries. What were the RB's doing?

Still troubles me that the coaches haven't settled on a QB. And, what they are doing ain't workin'!

As stated before, I am waiting for the Buffalo game on Sept. 30 do get a handle on this team. If this coaching staff is still trying to figure it out then...ouch!

1.  I updated my Spectrum channels and to watch ESPNU I had to upgrade for $12.  Thought about it for a minute (saw they were down by 7) and decided Zips football isn't worth it.

2.  After hiring Morehead from Oregon (and he was still there). the Ducks were crushed in their last two games.  Thought it was an omen at the time.  Still do.

15 hours ago, UAZipster0305 said:

What I wouldn't give to watch a Brookhart or Bowden team right now.

Can't disagree. I would only add that both coaches had "their guys" at QB when they went bowling. Luke came with JD from Pitt and I'm pretty certain Bowden had his by 2015. He had to have because he started in 2012. 

Joe still doesn't have "his guy". I'm not overly concerned about this , but I am a little concerned and it brings me to some questions. Is what we have really the best we have?  If someone younger is on the team with better long term potential, why isn't he starting at this point? 

When Dave Clawson got to Wake Forest, he recruited and started as a freshman future LA Rams back-up John Wolford. He got killed his freshman and sophomore seasons and went 3-9 both seasons. Bowl seasons junior and senior seasons though. Something clicked. Nothing is even coming close to clicking right now for Akron.

Joe needs "his guy" QB and he needs to live and die with him. He needs to identify this player, make a clear decision and see it through as quickly as possible. If this guy is on the team, play him. If not, find one this off season and show every guy in the QB room currently on the team the URL for the transfer portal. Are there examples for this working at schools that were struggling, yes. I just noted Wolford, and Sanders is doing pretty good at Colorado with "his guy". Joe needs to do the same thing. 

Kind of a weird game where the score doesn't tell the whole story.

• Defense played well. Pretty incredible plays from Davis and Leary made it look a little worse than reality.
  • If you're going to give a superior team a game, you can't shoot yourself in the foot. Muffed punt, dropped 3rd down pass while driving by Adams, illegal man downfield on a huge 4th down gain, and an unreliable kicker and last night is what you'll get. 
  • Still don't understand this offense at all. DJ played fine (in terms of accuracy and decision making) from what I could see, but he still looks timid/timing off. All those beatings the past few years probably had a last affect on psyche. We have to find a way to open up the offense more. We have zero vertical passing attack. Think the offense will open up once we can establish that. I just don't know if the issue is QB not seeing guys, coaching staff limiting play-calling due to personnel limitations, OL not being able to protect long enough, our the WRs just not getting open. Probably a combination of all of the above.
  • Has Bullock even played the last 2 games? Odd to use him like we did against Temple then seemingly go away from it.

What shouldn't get lost in all the frustration, (and not to excuse our issues) is that Kentucky did exactly what they were supposed to do to us. Some of that was self-inflicted which can be fixed. We have a lot of issues offense, but I think still plenty of options and some more time to get those figured out, and we have the head coach to do it. Its not like last night was Temple kicking the pee out of us. The season is only ever about conference play, just get the crap fixed by then. Would like to see us give Indiana a game next week. They aren't good. We can if the staff can find a way to spark the offense.

The time to panic isn't when we're losing to superior opponents like we're supposed to.  Conference play, at least for the foreseeable future is where we should be really judging the program.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 4

Thoughts form a Joe Akron:

-The Defensive side played really well, but was gassed at the end at the end(a recurring and big issue).

-The Offense on the other hand is where the real issues start. I’m sorry, but when you have a drive of almost 9 minutes, you have to score! Bottom line! The one huge play we had that would have IMHO change the game was the huge play on 4th down and was called back due to illegal man downfield. That is unacceptable!

I has this game penciled in as a loss, however without the mistake after the first play of the game, had a legit chance of winning until the defense was worn out.

I am not saying they should have blown them out like South Alabama did to Oklahoma State last night, but, people think that this is bad as the Coach I era.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GP1 said:

Can't disagree. I would only add that both coaches had "their guys" at QB when they went bowling. Luke came with JD from Pitt and I'm pretty certain Bowden had his by 2015. He had to have because he started in 2012. 

Joe still doesn't have "his guy". I'm not overly concerned about this , but I am a little concerned and it brings me to some questions. Is what we have really the best we have?  If someone younger is on the team with better long term potential, why isn't he starting at this point? 

When Dave Clawson got to Wake Forest, he recruited and started as a freshman future LA Rams back-up John Wolford. He got killed his freshman and sophomore seasons and went 3-9 both seasons. Bowl seasons junior and senior seasons though. Something clicked. Nothing is even coming close to clicking right now for Akron.

Joe needs "his guy" QB and he needs to live and die with him. He needs to identify this player, make a clear decision and see it through as quickly as possible. If this guy is on the team, play him. If not, find one this off season and show every guy in the QB room currently on the team the URL for the transfer portal. Are there examples for this working at schools that were struggling, yes. I just noted Wolford, and Sanders is doing pretty good at Colorado with "his guy". Joe needs to do the same thing. 

💯

I don’t expect to win these games against Power 5 teams but it would be nice to at least put up a fight and not get completely embarrassed. Every year there are non power 5 fbs teams being competitive and beating power 5 teams yet we can’t even not get humiliated. Hell, even a lot of FCS teams are competing much better than the Zips. So far in Joe’s 2 years here’s how it looks:

Sparty 52-0

Tenn 63-6

Ky 35-3

For those scoring at home, that’s 150-9 with Zero touchdowns scored ! 🤮

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MangoZip said:

So far in Joe’s 2 years the 1.2 seasons after Larry Williams and Tom Arth almost destroyed the program with their collective ineptitude, here’s how it looks:

Sparty 52-0

Tenn 63-6

Ky 35-3

For those scoring at home, that’s 150-9 with Zero touchdowns scored ! 🤮

FIFY?

• Like 2

On 9/12/2023 at 3:45 PM, clarkwgriswold said:

Spring practice....preseason practice....returning starter....second year of the new leadership....and we're still uncertain of our starter at the most important position on the field.  Sigh.

Kentucky- 35, Zips- 6.

Damn missed field goal and we still have the uncertainty.....

• Like 1

On 9/17/2023 at 12:08 PM, clarkwgriswold said:

I'm going to make a predictably fruitless request.  As we commence our annual tear down of our program and its leadership could we maybe offer some solutions rather than engage in simple p!$$!ng and moaning? 

Clark, it's difficult to break from tradition.

On a different issue: I looked forward all week to watching the Zips/Indiana game as advertised on the big ten network. It even was mentioned during half time of the preceding game. But at the appointed time they showed a game between 2 big 10 teams. I was bummed. Question, the missed field goal at the end of the game; which was it: bad snap, bad hold, bad kicker?

4 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

Clark, it's difficult to break from tradition.

On a different issue: I looked forward all week to watching the Zips/Indiana game as advertised on the big ten network. It even was mentioned during half time of the preceding game. But at the appointed time they showed a game between 2 big 10 teams. I was bummed. Question, the missed field goal at the end of the game; which was it: bad snap, bad hold, bad kicker?

At 1:36.  Looks all solid, just a pulled kick.