Game 3- Heidelberg

clarkwgriswold

1 hour ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I'm a little concerned that we've only seen 2 minutes from Lyles so far.  Groce has seemed to be content with Sammy being the second big man. 

Last year I was not that impressed with Lyles.  He always seemed a step slow for a big man.  However, he was a frosh so there is a great deal of room for improvement.  However, I think if he had improved a great deal that we would see him on the floor more.  I am sure you will see him on Tuesday.  Also, if one of our bigs gets injured he will be next man up.  However, if Ali joins the mix he may find it even more difficult to find playing time.

12 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

Last year I was not that impressed with Lyles.  He always seemed a step slow for a big man.  However, he was a frosh so there is a great deal of room for improvement.  However, I think if he had improved a great deal that we would see him on the floor more.  I am sure you will see him on Tuesday.  Also, if one of our bigs gets injured he will be next man up.  However, if Ali joins the mix he may find it even more difficult to find playing time.

I don't see his skill set and position overlapping much with Ali.  He was thrown into duty last year with the lack of bigs and I thought he was okay.  To me, he looked like a freshman.  You can tell from looking at him that he really focused on building muscle in the offseason.  He looks like a different kid.

Edited by clarkwgriswold

1 hour ago, RoyalBlu said:

Really interesting but has the Ali Ali situation been addressed by Groce and/or the media at all??????

I mean, the season has started.

On the postgame radio show after SDSU Dave mentioned something about the team not being full strength and Groce responded "We will leave it at that". And he later said "We are trying to get Ali back"

• Like 3

I don’t mind them scheduling a D-III team to open the season or maybe get back in the flow after finals. I do think two on one season’s schedule is a bit much.

Also, why D-III and not D-II?

That said I like one D-3 team on the schedule and if we want another tune up then pick a 270-320 NET type team. Or a 300+ but play them on the road

• Like 4

There are only two non-redshirt players we haven't seen get much action this season - Lyles (2 minutes) and Prather Jr (1 minute) and I'd like to see them get some action in this one. Looking back to when Prather Jr signed, Groce said this:

"Ryan is an extremely talented versatile guard with great size, length and toughness," Groce said. "He is an elite shooter that can create opportunities for himself and his teammates with his playmaking skills. Ryan is also a high-level defender that plays with motor and physicality."

I believe someone here mentioned he was dealing with an injury over the summer but if he's healthy now, let's see what he can do.

With Baker and MMK supposedly redshirting, we don't have much frontcourt depth - basically Freeman, Hunter, and Lyles. I'd like Lyles to get some time tomorrow too as you never know when injuries/foul trouble will hit and I want him to be ready.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Playing what team is worth the risk of injury?  Dawson was injured in practice.

Yup, injuries happen. Soft tissue injuries are most common in preseason/early season. Can't control the reward for the risk when it's pre-season, but you can control the reward when the season starts. Heidelberg is ridiculous and embarrassing, especially where there's an even lower opponent later in the season. I don't care if other teams schedule this crap - sick of the sheep mentality. Dare to be different. Get a D1 team on the schedule. I like this schedule overall, but these two non DI teams are atrocious. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Yup, injuries happen. Soft tissue injuries are most common in preseason/early season. Can't control the reward for the risk when it's pre-season, but you can control the reward when the season starts. Heidelberg is ridiculous and embarrassing, especially where there's an even lower opponent later in the season. I don't care if other teams schedule this crap - sick of the sheep mentality. Dare to be different. Get a D1 team on the schedule. I like this schedule overall, but these two non DI teams are atrocious. 

Noah v Miami.  soft tissue?

🐑🐑you may want to write a strong letter to Coach Groce and AD Guthrie 🐑🐑

Edited by NWAkron
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1