Game 15- Ball State

Not sure if it was mentioned in this thread, but we rank 28th in the country for DI experience. Balls ranked something like 260th or 270th. We saw the difference in the result. 

This team isn't flashy. They don't have that guard that lights up the scoreboard. But man, they're blue collar winners. We fold like a cheap lawn chair in a couple of the more recent seasons, despite having similar personnel. Dawson and Tribble were humongous down the stretch. 

My only gripe: Freeman has to learn how to stay behind the damn out of bounds like when the opponent is inbounding the ball. 

7 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

It’s too bad tickets are so expensive and they’re not wearing neon orange jerseys Friday. Also not looking like the weather will be nice enough for a post game fireworks show. JAR will be empty :(

On a positive note, I was able to give away a ticket.  LOL.

46 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

My only gripe: Freeman has to learn how to stay behind the damn out of bounds like when the opponent is inbounding the ball. 

It almost seemed like he did it intentionally to disrupt the inbounding play (he was WAY over the line) but forgot we already had a delay warning. It could have been a big mistake…but thankfully wasn’t.

9 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

It almost seemed like he did it intentionally to disrupt the inbounding play (he was WAY over the line) but forgot we already had a delay warning. It could have been a big mistake…but thankfully wasn’t.

That was a terrifying moment. It’s dumb and they need to be more careful. The first warning on Nate was a stupid call for hitting the ball out after a made bucket, but that was par for the course for the evening. 

14 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

I was thinking the same thing.

42 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

This one may have been intentional, but that doesn't explain every other time he has done it. I'm not sure I've actually seen him stay behind the line this season. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

That was a terrifying moment. It’s dumb and they need to be more careful. The first warning on Nate was a stupid call for hitting the ball out after a made bucket, but that was par for the course for the evening. 

Did Nate even hit the ball on purpose? It looked like he dunked and the momentum just sort of knocked the ball into the crowd.

That foul on Tribble when he got tackled from behind was one of the worst calls I've ever seen. The fact that the announcers didn't even question half the calls against the Zips and Balls fans are whining blows my mind. 

Edited by akzipper

5 minutes ago, akzipper said:

Did Nate even hit the ball on purpose? It looked like he dunked and the momentum just sort of knocked the ball into the crowd.

That foul on Tribble when he got tackled from behind was one of the worst calls I've ever seen. The fact that the announcers didn't even question half the calls against the Zips and Balls fans are whining blows my mind. 

I think if anything, Nate was tapping it away from himself so he didn’t step on it. Stupid unnecessary call. 

Some interesting numbers so far in MAC play...

Tribble

13.3 PPG

68% FG% (17-28)

55% 3PT% (6-11)

The only negative to his game is he's fouled out now two games in a row.

Hunter

3.3 PPG

12% FG% (2-17)

22% 3PT% (2-9)

Safe to say Sammy is in a slump.

Also worth nothing Dawson is 7-12 (58%) from 3PT range over the last two games and hopefully starting to break out of his month-long slump.

Edited by Zippy87
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, akzipper said:

The little bit I could listen, the announcers were wearing their emotions on their sleeves. The absolute dejection when we went on our 3-straight-3s run to take the lead while Freeman was grabbing every board in sight - priceless. It got worse after Freeman got his 4th foul, and they went underneath at Enrique but the refs didn't call anything. The announcers were beside themselves. Homerism is an art form. You have to toe the line of being a fan and calling a game that doesn't make the opponent's fans listening want to Van Gogh their ears. The Balls announcers made me want to do the latter. Really poor basketball IQ showing from the Muncie crowd. 

2 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

The little bit I could listen, the announcers were wearing their emotions on their sleeves. The absolute dejection when we went on our 3-straight-3s run to take the lead while Freeman was grabbing every board in sight - priceless. It got worse after Freeman got his 4th foul, and they went underneath at Enrique but the refs didn't call anything. The announcers were beside themselves. Homerism is an art form. You have to toe the line of being a fan and calling a game that doesn't make the opponent's fans listening want to Van Gogh their ears. The Balls announcers made me want to do the latter. Really poor basketball IQ showing from the Muncie crowd. 

Down the stretch every shot inside the paint they'd say "Jihad misses and no foul." Like they couldn't wrap their heads around the fact that a guy can shoot the ball and actually miss, or get blocked without being fouled. 

At one point during the game they also mentioned how Ball State and Akron had been two of the top teams in the MAC for a long time. That seemed odd to me so I looked it up. Since 2000 they've had like 6 winning seasons.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

I'm getting such joy watching 4 years of hard work paying off for Tribble and his 3-point shot.  Love it!!!

I told my son, who is a young athlete himself, how Tribble is the definition of hard work. He was 11-66 from 3PT in his first four seasons combined and is 11-34 this season. He's never going to be a sharpshooter, but just hitting them at a respectable clip and not allowing the defender to cheat in is HUGE for the entire offense.

• Like 2