Game 18- PCCC

11 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

I was unable to watch the game, but looking at the box score just a few thoughts

Chris Payton - lol you moron

No Tribble and still took care of business? Very nice

77 points and 5 assists. I'm afraid to ask, but how?

Quite a few possessions where it was either Freeman or Ali who simply did their thing. Freeman might have missed 1 hook shot the entire game, and Ali Ali was pretty good with the midrange jumper he has.

For those who didn't watch, the game became close when the refs controlled which team was able to play care-free, lockdown defense, and which team had to play smart, non-physical defense due to foul trouble. It was a 20-9 advantage in fouls at one point in favor of Kent. There were 2 very weak technically on Akron, zero on Kent. This led to Kent being able to penetrate the paint more easily, which Akron then had to somewhat collapse towards, which led to wide open 3s. To PCCC's credit, they made a huge chunk of those 3s in the 2nd half, especially late, but those are more contested with potentially different outcomes if the refs don't completely alter the game and throw Kent a bunch of life preservers. It's frowned upon to complain about the officiating, but this was an instance where it was physically visible how the officiating discrepancy affected the game. Abhorrent officiating. 

I also don't understand how any school that claims to have an ounce of dignity could be proud of Pinky. Winningest coach in PCCC history, yet he has a worse winning percentage than Groce at Akron despite never going through the type of rebuild Groce had to when he took over the program. Pinky's program year in and year out is an embarrassment. Although I guess that is the true embodiment of We Are Kent State. From the Akron Diss Track that was proceeded by a 20 of ass whooping in the MAC Championship game, to the altercation between his plays and the Rowdies at the JAR, to Payton's public claims in the ABJ that were proceeded by an absolute no show by him and pure domination by Freeman. This is a school whose students twice held up signs to the Rowdies that read We Suck and Felons R Us, and Pinky has been at the helm for some of Kent's most embarrassing moments. 

Nevertheless, we prevailed (without Tribble and Nate to boot). Kent sucks eggs. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94

Had someone told me Kent would shoot 29 free throws and Akron would shoot 17, would have thought we are real trouble. The first 8 minutes of the second half were not shining moments for the officials. Looked like they got together at the half and said let’s tighten this up.

The technicals are very subjective but if I was John Groce this game would go to the league office asking why Kent’s Freeman can make 3s and fly around chirping multiple times and not get T’d up. Congratulations kid, you had the half of your life but if those Ts on us were legit, he should have had a couple as well.

Still a great win. Go Zips!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Westie said:

Had someone told me Kent would shoot 29 free throws and Akron would shoot 17, would have thought we are real trouble. The first 8 minutes of the second half were not shining moments for the officials. Looked like they got together at the half and said let’s tighten this up.

The technicals are very subjective but if I was John Groce this game would go to the league office asking why Kent’s Freeman can make 3s and fly around chirping multiple times and not get T’d up. Congratulations kid, you had the half of your life but if those Ts on us were legit, he should have had a couple as well.

Groce mentioned this in the post game presser. Their diet Freeman and Bass talked to Akron's bench a few times, I know hard to believe Bass made any field goals. I can understand Ali's as it was clear, though no doubt he was baited by the Kent bench. Tavari's was unbelievable. 

At the risk of upsetting Zip fans who seem to want to blame the officials for the conduct of the game (especially the 2nd half) I think somebody on KSUs side flipped a switch at half time and they played much more physically in the second half to which neither the Zip's players nor coaches reacted to very well. Still always good to get a W against the Golden Showers.

24 minutes ago, Westie said:

I don't have the Kent Derangement Syndrome that  @Let'sGoZips94 does 😀. But, wow Brimfield Tech's Freeman is such a typical Mr. Pinky player.  It's like Jim Christian went to central casting and found him and brought him home.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Zipmeister said:

At the risk of upsetting Zip fans who seem to want to blame the officials for the conduct of the game (especially the 2nd half) I think somebody on KSUs side flipped a switch at half time and they played much more physically in the second half to which neither the Zip's players nor coaches reacted to very well. Still always good to get a W against the Golden Showers.

Disagree with this.  No one is saying that Kent didn't step up and make some great shots, etc.  They were cold and then got hot.  The technical against Tavari changed the direction of the game and was unecessary.   No lead is safe these days, and I, as well as everyone else, expected Kent to make a run.

I just watched the tech on Tavari again multiple times and I see nothing.  He must have said something to Sullinger but whatever it was had to have been pretty low key and I am surprised a ref could hear it with the crowd noise.

The technicals on Ali and Tavari were clearly very weak.  The one against Tribble against Ball State was also very weak.  That being said, it's seems that the MAC officials are out to set a tone on even soft taunting/celebratory behavior.  It's also apparent the Zips have a target on their back as the presumed league favorite.  As such, I guess the lesson, if any, is to be extra careful not to give some hypersensitive ref an opportunity to make a potentially game changing call.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Zipmeister said:

Wow, a whooping 4 MAC teams with a winning overall W/L record at this point in the season and one of them is among the 7 MAC teams with a losing in conference W/L record.

Thanks.  Now do the Southland Conference.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I just watched the tech on Tavari again multiple times and I see nothing.  He must have said something to Sullinger but whatever it was had to have been pretty low key and I am surprised a ref could hear it with the crowd noise.

The technicals on Ali and Tavari were clearly very weak.  

Knowing Tavari, the lack of any reaction from Sullinger, and my lip reading expertise, I believe he said “And one” after the ball went it. 

Similarly, I’ll wager Ali said “You can’t stop me” while turning to run down the floor.

In each instance the refs got rabbit ears after a huge Zips play and were looking to blow a whistle to diffuse any possible flare up. 

To me, the moment of a packed house rivalry game was too big for them. Their desire to control the game snuffed out two of the biggest momentum plays the Zips produced last night. Glad we were tough enough to overcome.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Zippy87 said:

Big game from Tavari Johnson. Looked confident with the ball and did great penitrating inside. I'm hoping to see him get some of Thornton's minutes once Greg is healthy.

I agree, Tavari’s best game in some time. I would like him to surpass Scott first. Thornton has such a steady presence even though he is not a threat to score.

This is the point where I pleaded with LCJ to live in the gym for awhile. And he did make a decent physical change before his Junior year. Tavari needs 10-15 pounds of pure muscle added to his frame. Get busy kid if you want to be one of the greats. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Knowing Tavari, the lack of any reaction from Sullinger, and my lip reading expertise, I believe he said “And one” after the ball went it. 

Similarly, I’ll wager Ali said “You can’t stop me” while turning to run down the floor.

In each instance the refs got rabbit ears after a huge Zips play and were looking to blow a whistle to diffuse any possible flare up. 

To me, the moment of a packed house rivalry game was too big for them. Their desire to control the game snuffed out two of the biggest momentum plays the Zips produced last night. Glad we were tough enough to overcome.

Amen, and another shame in it is that they took away what may have been to absolute highpoint in Tavari's basketball life.

Making a return to Zips Nation after an 8+ year hiatus to say first and foremost Can’t sucks in every possible way. 

I was at the game last night with my son. Sat mid court low near some of the old stalwarts on here.

The Can’t fans by us were classless, clueless, ref blaming jackasses. Felt compelled to come on to share my thoughts and thank the team and coach for cramming a W down their throats last night.

Enjoy seeing you at the games year in and out. Your unwavering (though often critical) support for the zips is one of few constants in an increasingly crazy world. 

Go Zips!

Edited by MaxZIP
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

For those who didn't watch, the game became close when the refs controlled which team was able to play care-free, lockdown defense, and which team had to play smart, non-physical defense due to foul trouble. It was a 20-9 advantage in fouls at one point in favor of Kent. There were 2 very weak technically on Akron, zero on Kent. This led to Kent being able to penetrate the paint more easily, which Akron then had to somewhat collapse towards, which led to wide open 3s. To PCCC's credit, they made a huge chunk of those 3s in the 2nd half, especially late, but those are more contested with potentially different outcomes if the refs don't completely alter the game and throw Kent a bunch of life preservers. It's frowned upon to complain about the officiating, but this was an instance where it was physically visible how the officiating discrepancy affected the game. Abhorrent officiating. 

I also don't understand how any school that claims to have an ounce of dignity could be proud of Pinky. Winningest coach in PCCC history, yet he has a worse winning percentage than Groce at Akron despite never going through the type of rebuild Groce had to when he took over the program. Pinky's program year in and year out is an embarrassment. Although I guess that is the true embodiment of We Are Kent State. From the Akron Diss Track that was proceeded by a 20 of ass whooping in the MAC Championship game, to the altercation between his plays and the Rowdies at the JAR, to Payton's public claims in the ABJ that were proceeded by an absolute no show by him and pure domination by Freeman. This is a school whose students twice held up signs to the Rowdies that read We Suck and Felons R Us, and Pinky has been at the helm for some of Kent's most embarrassing moments. 

Nevertheless, we prevailed (without Tribble and Nate to boot). Kent sucks eggs. 

I once read a book about a corrupt ref who went to jail and he indicated that the NBA had their own agenda to make the league more marketable.  Since this was a nationalized TV game, maybe the refs kept the game close to make the game interesting for the the national audience.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Illini Zip said:

I agree, Tavari’s best game in some time. I would like him to surpass Scott first. Thornton has such a steady presence even though he is not a threat to score.

This is the point where I pleaded with LCJ to live in the gym for awhile. And he did make a decent physical change before his Junior year. Tavari needs 10-15 pounds of pure muscle added to his frame. Get busy kid if you want to be one of the greats. 

Personally, I think Scott seems to impact the game more. 6 points, 9 rebounds last night including a huge 3. Thornton, to me, is Garvin Clarke. Good defense, can occasionally hit a shot, but doesn't have a huge impact on the game.

But I want Tavari getting more minutes no matter if it's Scott or Thornton - highest ceiling of the three.

11 minutes ago, Zippy87 said:

Personally, I think Scott seems to impact the game more. 6 points, 9 rebounds last night including a huge 3. Thornton, to me, is Garvin Clarke. Good defense, can occasionally hit a shot, but doesn't have a huge impact on the game.

But I want Tavari getting more minutes no matter if it's Scott or Thornton - highest ceiling of the three.

Good points. 👍

• Like 1