2024 MAC Tournament

17 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

And then he had our slowest guy, Hunter, guard  their quickest guard, Sullinger.  

The plan was to use our two tallest, but slower guys to force Sullinger towards one side of the court, shielding the other side with the height, and having Ali Ali with his length and speed cover Santiago & Bekelja in the event Sullinger did somehow get it to an open guy over there. Once Sullinger got too deep, he became solely Freeman's man and he was moving towards the baseline, not the basket, making the shot that much tougher. It was brilliant, and it was setup because Groce used the timeout for that purpose. Meanwhile, that was made possible because Pinky didn't make sure his team was on the same page. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

The plan was to use our two tallest, but slower guys to force Sullinger towards one side of the court, shielding the other side with the height, and having Ali Ali with his length and speed cover Santiago & Bekelja in the event Sullinger did somehow get it to an open guy over there. Once Sullinger got too deep, he became solely Freeman's man and he was moving towards the baseline, not the basket, making the shot that much tougher. It was brilliant, and it was setup because Groce used the timeout for that purpose. Meanwhile, that was made possible because Pinky didn't make sure his team was on the same page. 

Putting them in a zone/taking them out of man also reduced the chances of a foul on a screen or switch.

3 hours ago, Illini Zip said:

Not sure why there is so much fuss about Rollin’s foul, Tribble was about to win it on a floater anyway. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

Go Zips!!

Or Tribble would have made a nifty bounce pass to Nate Johnson who was open near the basket.

4 minutes ago, Zippy87 said:

Love hearing about Freeman, Tribble, and Ali being involved in recruiting last summer and how much they've helped build a winning culture. It feels like our younger guys really look up to them.

Screenshot_20240317_163507_Instagram.thumb.jpg.a8a53906dd3b59f8bac74541fbf25da3.jpg

I wonder how much they influenced his decision to redshirt this year. Coming into the season, I felt like he could easily contribute as a freshman, and was very disappointed that he decided to redshirt. From his high school highlights, he looks like a stretch 4 that could've been instrumental this season. Oh well. Really hope he decides to stay at Akron and make a name for himself - he could be special. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

I watched the replay again and it looked like a 1-2-2 zone so I stand corrected.  It did work and Sullinger was forced to take a shot over Freeman.

Congrats on the tourney win in Cleveland, now go get the MAC a W in the Dance!

Side note, if nobody up there makes t-shirts that say "Kent read, Kent add, Kent St." I am going to be very disappointed in all of you. 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It appears the NIT did away with automatic bids to regular season conference champions, so Toledo is out in the cold.  This is just another way to keep the mid-majors out to let in more power conference teams with bigger fan bases and name recognition.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Zip JD said:

It appears the NIT did away with automatic bids to regular season conference champions, so Toledo is out in the cold.  This is just another way to keep the mid-majors out to let in more power conference teams with bigger fan bases and name recognition.

Teams like St. Johns are declining the NIT. It's hilarious how pathetic that event has become. 

I watched Clyde Price inexplicably lay two balls on the turf to cost Zips football a couple wins two seasons ago, so I have no problem accepting an inexplicable basketball win. The Zips were overdue to catch a break!

I was shocked when they gave Ali the offensive potg. Tribble eats and drinks for free wherever I go for life after draining those 2 free throws. If those were his only 2 points it was enough to give him offensive potg. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Zip JD said:

Yes, I have been putting this travesty out there all season since the announcement.

It Does look like BG has accepted a CiT bid and is also hosting. Must mean Schools like Toledo and Ohio declined. Sad state of affairs. Especially now with the NIT effectively shutting the MAC out we need a viable tournament for our top teams that just didn’t have it go their way in Cleveland. Make the regular season matter with a postseason berth somewhere.

• Like 2