Class of 2024 offers

On 1/21/2024 at 12:13 PM, Illini Zip said:

Good points guys. I'm out of likes again. I predict we will have 3 open scholarships. After we make our run to the Sweet 16, Groce will go after a few higher level recruits who have still not committed. Regular signing period is like mid-April to mid-May. And then, I agree we likely will add some leadership through the portal as needed.

If we make a Sweet 16 run, Groce may not be here 😂

Looking at next year and building off @Blue & Gold excellent post, I think we'll actually have 3 scholarships open. I don't see Prather returning (Lyles is iffy too IMO, so maybe 4).

Getting an experienced big is a must. Baker has ton of potential but asking him to step into an Enrique-type role is unfair to him and the team. We probably need two. 

I'm also not yet sold on Tavari as a starter - the potential is there and I want to see him develop over this year, but he doesn't look like a starting PG - yet. 

PG - Transfer / Tavari

W - Dawson / Scott

W - Johnson / Transfer

P - Transfer / MMK

P - Baker / Lyles

RS: Young, Mahaffey, Brisco

• Like 1

Barring Groce working some serious magic in the TP, I feel we're looking at a being a pretty average team next year, but really excited about the future..Young, Brisco, and Baker. Definitely would throw N Johnson in there as he's still an underclassman and probably even T Johnson. Think T Johnson seems to have stepped up a notch and his "floor" is more consistent. If he can hit the weight room and add some explosiveness...watch out.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Barring Groce working some serious magic in the TP, I feel we're looking at a being a pretty average team next year, but really excited about the future..Young, Brisco, and Baker. Definitely would throw N Johnson in there as he's still an underclassman and probably even T Johnson. Think T Johnson seems to have stepped up a notch and his "floor" is more consistent. If he can hit the weight room and add some explosiveness...watch out.

💯 He's the least athletic player on the team... save Evan Wilson 😂

2 hours ago, Reslife4Life said:

NIU honestly does have some interesting guys. They have 3 players top 15 in the MAC in scoring that have at least one more year of eligibility. Nutter, Coit, Amos. Maybe Hankerson and Thornton could get one of these guys over here, wouldn't be the most unlikely thing

I don't want players from losing MAC programs. Thornton is an upgrade over Hankerson, but we need to look elsewhere in the TP, please. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LZIp said:

The MAC has been spiraling downhill. Even in a rebuilding year we could potentially finish 10-8 in MAC play with a 4th or 5th place finish.

6 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

I don't want players from losing MAC programs. Thornton is an upgrade over Hankerson, but we need to look elsewhere in the TP, please. 

Right.  Groce whiffed on Ray J Dennis and Mark Sears.  Did Fulford even call them?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, NWAkron said:

Right.  Groce whiffed on Ray J Dennis and Mark Sears.  Did Fulford even call them?

I specifically said losing MAC programs. Toledo and Ohio do not fit that category. How Kowalchoke failed to win the MAC Tourney with a top 10 team's starting PG is actually impressive. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

I specifically said losing MAC programs. Toledo and Ohio do not fit that category. How Kowalchoke failed to win the MAC Tourney with a top 10 team's starting PG is actually impressive. 

My point was that the top tier MAC guys aren't making lateral moves to other MAC schools.  Both Toledo and Akron poached from NIU.  The benefit is that they have more familiarity with the players other than film and see developing potential and attitude problems (the latter something Senderoff missed with Bass).

• Like 1

Portal recruiting is far more calculated and dialed-in than opening a search tab and typing in "viable backup big" or something like that. You use past recruiting relationships and your coaching network to find the best pieces to fill your needs. When coaching staffs watch the portal fill, specifically Akron/MAC coaches, they weed out tons of names instantly for this reason. Scott, Ali, and Thornton were all slam-dunk easy to predict transfers for a reason.

7 hours ago, LoyalZIP said:

Portal recruiting is far more calculated and dialed-in than opening a search tab and typing in "viable backup big" or something like that. You use past recruiting relationships and your coaching network to find the best pieces to fill your needs. When coaching staffs watch the portal fill, specifically Akron/MAC coaches, they weed out tons of names instantly for this reason. Scott, Ali, and Thornton were all slam-dunk easy to predict transfers for a reason.

That's a good reason to build good relationships on the recruiting trail with kids even if you don't think you'll get them.  You never know when you'll get that second chance.

• Like 4