Game 31- PCCC

Here we are again, headed off to the Agricultural and Animal Husbandry Center in Brimfield to face the arch-rival to close the season.

PCCC is coming off of a 7-point win over OU and will look to avenge their 12-point loss at the JAR on February 3rd.  They had technical issues with their ticket vendor tonight slowing things down at the gate, so get there early Friday night.

Hard to determine this game. It’s kind of like a week 18 game in the NFL but both teams have made the playoffs. Ive always believed the “it’s impossible to beat a rival 3 times” and a great example is last year with Akron and Kent. Zips got a huge win and needs to carry momentum into Cleveland so a win here would be huge but not an end of the world loss. I’d expect if Groce wanted to make any changes for the tournament lineup and minutes it’d probably come in this game.

That ticket issue is no joke. Get there as early as you can Friday. The company they use is shot to hell, for every school that uses that program. Make sure you’ve got any email receipts or mobile ticket screenshots just in case and to make it easier. 

I wish this one was for the regular season title, but there’s still a lot on the line. The 2 gets an easier matchup technically. And we haven’t won there in front of fans in a long time now. Plus the winning streak they have, the rivalry as a whole, them having a bunch of seniors. Nothing would really surprise me as far as a result, maybe the Zips winning easily. Unfortunately a blowout loss wouldn’t shock me either. But it does feel a lot better going in there knowing we’ve beaten them already this year. Hopefully the Zips play loose and get the jumpers going early like they did at the JAR. Akron’s a lot tougher to beat when they get the early lead. 

Does inSincere skip to center court for senior night? 

3 in a row against Rootstown Junior College would be sweet, especially heading into Cleveland.

If you are going to the game, please be respectful. Remember, they are the choir boys of the MAC. Their program is sin-less; always has been, always will be. They do no wrong, and they simply want there to be a nice, spirited competition between two basketball teams. 

F em. Give em hell.

Also, side note. Since they are Ohio State wannabes and used TTDTR when referring to Akron on their website, are they going to X out all A's this week?

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 1

An Akron win Friday guarantees the the two teams meeting again next Friday in Cleveland barring either gets upset Thursday. 
I know it’s a rivalry and you are playing hard to win but from a strategic standpoint, do you do anything differently than you would a week from now when all the chips have to be on the table?

This will be the 4th time these teams have played in a year.  That, coupled with 30 games of game tape, make it so these teams know each other almost as well as they know themselves.  They're not likely to see any surprises, especially Friday night.

The only exception to springing something on the other would be next week, not unlike the Zips surprised them last year by the way they defended Insincere in the final. 

51 minutes ago, GJGood said:

An Akron win Friday guarantees the the two teams meeting again next Friday in Cleveland barring either gets upset Thursday. 
I know it’s a rivalry and you are playing hard to win but from a strategic standpoint, do you do anything differently than you would a week from now when all the chips have to be on the table?

I say throw everything we have at them and see if they can adjust and, if so, how.  Really, these teams and coaches already know each other so well I think it's simply going to come down to execution.  However, if Sammy's come alive that definitely makes us a different looking team than the first time we faced them.  Is Santiago back for them?

29 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

I say throw everything we have at them and see if they can adjust and, if so, how.  Really, these teams and coaches already know each other so well I think it's simply going to come down to execution.  However, if Sammy's come alive that definitely makes us a different looking team than the first time we faced them.  Is Santiago back for them?

Santiago hasn't played since the Akron game.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Unlikely. His right hand was in a cast a couple of weeks ago on the Friday night game. I believe the middle finger thru pinky were enclosed, at least the last two fingers. I think the announcer said he was done for the year.

Edited by ewbrooman1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, indians4841ks said:

A win and we likely play NIU while we likely play Buffalo with a loss. I would much rather play NIU so that makes it a big game even if it wasn't a rivalry.

My mindset is:  this is Toledo's year until I see someone else cutting down the nets.  

1 minute ago, NWAkron said:

My mindset is:  this is Toledo's year until I see someone else cutting down the nets.  

Mine is this:  Toledo will lose in the MAC tournament, but I'm not sure when.  The 43-year history of choking is too much for me to look past until they figure out a way to get to and win on Saturday.

• Like 3

I think tomorrow night comes down to Jacobs and Miryne Thomas vs. Enrique and ________________.  I think X and Insincere will essentially balance each other out, leaving those next major guys up as the ones determining the outcome.  Hopefully, Sammy or somebody can be a difference maker. 

Just now, clarkwgriswold said:

I think tomorrow night comes down to Jacobs and Miryne Thomas vs. Enrique and ________________.  I think X and Insincere will essentially balance each other out, leaving those next major guys up as the ones determining the outcome.  Hopefully, Sammy or somebody can be a difference maker. 

Evan Wilson is primed and ready to drop a 20 bomb on the Flashes

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RowdyZip said:

Mine is this:  Toledo will lose in the MAC tournament, but I'm not sure when.  The 43-year history of choking is too much for me to look past until they figure out a way to get to and win on Saturday.

This is my philosophy as well. Coach K is a great regular season coach, but in his 21 years as a head coach, he has never taken his team to the NCAA tournament. He's the Frank Solich of MAC basketball. Consistently good in the regular season, but fails to get the job done when it matters.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

This is my philosophy as well. Coach K is a great regular season coach, but in his 21 years as a head coach, he has never taken his team to the NCAA tournament. He's the Frank Solich of MAC basketball. Consistently good in the regular season, but fails to get the job done when it matters.

Sorry!  I did a double take when I saw "Coach K" associated with the Rockets.  Then I remembered, it's 'K' for Futility!