Game 4 - @ Indiana

LoyalZIP

2 minutes ago, tpsjugglerdude said:

Can anyone explain why Indiana’s bad snap before the last overtime wasn’t called a false start? I understand the ref hadn’t said it was ok to start the play yet, but shouldn’t that be false start on the center?

Time was not started by the ref yet. It effectively is a time out situation on every play in overtime until the ref calls for the play to be started. 

Tough as hell loss. But we took Kentucky  until the end of the 3rd quarter without our offense clicking and we took Indiana until 4 OT even with a lot of dumb mistakes. Winning record in conference play is very realistic in my opinion with the only likely loss being to Ohio. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Reslife4Life said:

On the bright side, DJ has found himself again, we at least know who the starting QB will be next week

And imagine if he weren't out for a large portion of the 2nd quarter...no pick six, we win kneeling on the ball to end the game in regulation.

Edited by UAZipster0305
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, LZIp said:

Tough as hell loss. But we took Kentucky  until the end of the 3rd quarter without our offense clicking and we took Indiana until 4 OT even with a lot of dumb mistakes. Winning record in conference play is very realistic in my opinion with the only likely loss being to Ohio. 

I hope you are right but teams that can't win these types of games in non-conference seem to fail to win them in conference play as well.  The missed field goals, stupid penalties, dropped passes, interceptions, blown coverages, etc. probably won't stop just because it is MAC play. 

That being said, they are doing some things to build on so hopefully we can right the ship and take care of business against Buff.  Starting 1-0 in conference play would cure a lot of ills at least for the short term.

12 minutes ago, MDZip said:

And as much as it sucked for Akron to lose that way we weren't the only ones to miss a short field goal at the end in a tied game and then lose in overtime. If Clemson can't find a reliable kicker, it might be more difficult than you think. 

100%. 

A lot was made of Coach Prime’s 86 transfers but the Oregon game showed how hard it is to get big, quality linemen as well especially in a short timeframe       

10 hours ago, LoyalZIP said:

Next week is the biggest game of the Moorhead era. The first time Akron will be taking the field vs. an FBS opponent as the betting favorite and expected to and *needing* to win. 

Damn shame to lose to a bad team the way it turned out. Where did all that offense come from? Will the REAL offense please sign in and stay for a while. Woulda,shoulda coulda with Irons. Defense obviously the strength.

As we have said before Buffalo IS the biggest game this season. Now the trick for the coaches is to allow NO LETDOWN. Build off of yesterday. If you can move the ball against Indiana, you can move it against UB. Don't get cute.

This team will win games, this year to be exact. Our coaching is good with the potential to be great. Our talent is no longer an issue. Yet we still find a way to lose. Maddening as this is I believe it is due to one issue, discipline, mental discipline.

Repeatedly we find ourselves in position to win, yet we don't. An argument can be made that we could be 4-0, certainly 3-1. Mental discipline is the difference. We have not found a way to gain that extra 1-2% that separates winning from finding a way to lose. Though I believe some on the team have it. First Lingart, Fish, McCoy and Jones comes to mind. There are many more, yet not enough. 

This lack of mental discipline was seen last night in:

• Three interceptions (two due to DJ locking on one receiver and not following his progression; one due to Undercuffler throwing behind Banks)
  • Unsportmanlike conduct on Frank for stupidly jumping IU players on their sideline leading to the loss of a much needed 1st down
  • Two S & C coaches leaving our bench and crossing all the way to the other side of the field to restrain our players and antagonize the refs. Inexcusable!
  • Dropped TD pass by Adams with no one around
  • Repeated holding calls on N. Williams
  • Missed gimme FG by Jackson
  • Dropped interception by  KJ Martin that may have sealed the game
  • Unsportsmanlike conduct on Gaithings pushing an IU DB in front of the ref after he had secured a 1st down catch

These mistakes alone amounted to near 20% of our offensive plays. We are our own worst enemy. Correct our mistakes and we win consistently.

Joe and staff will get us there. Mental discipline comes slowly, but when we get it this team will roll. And it will begin this season.

Just my thoughts.

• Like 4