Game 8- BGSU

clarkwgriswold

9 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

I just checked our record in the last 5 years (2018-2023) and we are 6 and 43 with a total of 3 conference wins.  We have watched some really bad football the last 5 years.  It is amazing that Akron football has any fans.  Watching our offense last week for 3 quarters was painful, especially the decision not to switch quarterbacks until the 4th quarter.  However, the defense this year except for Northern Illinois has been good and has kept us in games.  The Indiana game was fun to watch until the very end.    I am just hoping for a competitive game where our defense keeps us in the game and our offense is watchable.  

I turned it off in the 3rd quarter when BG drove the ball from the 11 yard line and scored a TD.  It was obvious to me the d had given up and with no offense this game was not watchable.  I just wonder if we are done for the season.  When the d gives up, what is left?

9 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

I just checked our record in the last 5 years (2018-2023) and we are 6 and 43 with a total of 3 conference wins.  We have watched some really bad football the last 5 years.  It is amazing that Akron football has any fans.  Watching our offense last week for 3 quarters was painful, especially the decision not to switch quarterbacks until the 4th quarter.  However, the defense this year except for Northern Illinois has been good and has kept us in games.  The Indiana game was fun to watch until the very end.    I am just hoping for a competitive game where our defense keeps us in the game and our offense is watchable.  

So you're the one who jinxed the defense.

I checked in once at halftime and once after the game when I couldn't resist checking out the box score.

It is crystal clear after today's performance that Undercufffler should be the Zips QB for every second that is left in this season.

He has got to be on the verge of a team single-season record for most turnovers per minute played.

Do not let even one of the young QBs play AT ALL. To do so might cost the Underman a record that will probably stand forever.

• Like 1

I did employ the strategy of not watching and only listening today. I really didn’t miss it, either. I spent time doing other things, watching other games. That was actually more enjoyable than I expected. Maybe quitting Akron football isn’t so hard after all. 

This is just as bad a feeling I had in 2018. QB situation was maybe a bit better then, but the same principles applied. Talent that’s good enough to win games, but just never put it together. I knew expectations were dangerous for this program. It’s the hope that kills you. 

I am still very much in the Moorhead camp, but if we lose to Kent, that will teeter the other direction. And what bothers me the most is, how on earth is Akron ever going to be able to hire a competent coach? People can call Moorhead overrated or a fake genius or whatever. Believe me, I am totally disappointed in him and his staff’s efforts this season. But schools like Akron don’t hire accomplished coaches like this very often. Especially considering how the MAC has fallen into the basement—I mean the sump pump—of FBS football. IF Moorhead doesn’t pan out, then Akron needs to take a long look in the mirror, and totally change how things are done. I can’t even really begin to tell you what that would mean. 

In the last 20 years, we have hired:

P5 Coordinator

P5 position coach 

D2 HC, former P5 HC 25 years prior

D3/FCS Head coach

P5 Head coach/P5 Coordinator

None of them have been able to sustain success. Not one. Meanwhile, Kent hires a P5 receivers coach and Syracuse OC and has a couple crazy seasons. Maybe it is an Akron problem after all. Then that leads us to, what the hell is Akron doing wrong? How can Akron sustain success across multiple decades in basketball but hardly ever have a winning season in football?

Anyway, that got away a bit. A couple weeks til basketball! Then we can hear how overrated that coach is after dropping the opening game in South Dakota. Go Zips!

• Like 2

They've won one game this year and it was a gift from an FCS team.  I don't think they have the talent some of you believe them to have.  They are losing to average and bad teams in what some believe to be the worst conference in the FBS.  Talent could occasionally overcome some of this misery.  To be this bad, it can't just be coaching, talent or bad luck, it has to be a fatal combination of talent and coaching issues.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

They've won one game this year and it was a gift from an FCS team.  I don't think they have the talent some of you believe them to have.  They are losing to average and bad teams in what some believe to be the worst conference in the FBS.  Talent could occasionally overcome some of this misery.  To be this bad, it can't just be coaching, talent or bad luck, it has to be a fatal combination of talent and coaching issues.

To a certain extent the the question is: what do you try to fix fix first when everything seems broken? If I am way off base here please smack me down. But without any semblance of improvement as a program how do you recruit a semi competent QB? I don’t think you can. That leaves another option, get a line that can block, a few RBs that can get tough yards and a defense that can keep things competitive. Try to establish some sort of running game with multiple backs and go back to square one. 

To be honest I don’t know what the solution is but we aren’t winning anything relying on a QB but we have serviceable backs, maybe they might provide some sort of workable solution?

2 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

They say when you have two quarterbacks that you have none. 

So, the Zips have -3 quarterbacks.

I watched Wake Forest beat Pitt with their #3 QB. It was a joke of a game. Boring beyond belief. 

Wake Forest has gone from Wolford, Newman and Hartman to Larry, Moe and Curly in one season.

Lol at not being able to get another "accomplished coach" 

How about we get a coach who can f&^&%in coach. 

Morehead hasn't accomplished a goddamn thing as a "Head Coach". 

I wish folks would stop giving him credit he has YET to achieve.

Fordham = Not D1

Mississippi State = Had a brief run with players he didn't recruit which turned into an absolute train wreck that got him fired after 26 games going 14-12.

Morehead has never built any program on this level. 

Not every assistant coach can be a Great Head Coach.

Lets not act like we need Morehead more than he need's us. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Are you kidding me right now? We've been doing nothing but disparaging the abilities of our QBs, OL, kickers, etc. since the beginning of the season.

5 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Being an old timer, I recall a Lee Owens team starting off a season something like 0-7, with horrific QB play, and Lee pulled Greg Gromek’s redshirt. And the Zips won their last 4 games.

Was this when Matt Kaulig played and had something like 1 td and 14 ints? 

10 hours ago, ZippyRulz said:

Are you kidding me right now? We've been doing nothing but disparaging the abilities of our QBs, OL, kickers, etc. since the beginning of the season.

Nope, not kidding.  I could find dozens of posts about the improved talent. There are plenty of posts about how the Zips have the talent to win games. 

2 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

I'm the perpetrator of many of those posts 😔

I’m probably more responsible of this than anyone. But I also stand by it 100%. Hopefully the QB situation gets resolved and others will see. Unfortunately, we’re a 1 win team until that changes. 

• Like 3