2023-24 MAC & CBB Season

Let'sGoZips94

On 2/13/2024 at 11:35 AM, kreed5120 said:

I also think NIL is a factor. You used to see a school like Kentucky have a super team of freshmen. Now those McDonalds All-Americans are more spread out. Sure Kentucky can afford to land a couple top recruits, but they can't afford to pay a full team of them. A school like Maryland, Iowa, etc can sneak in and outbid them if they view that player as a star player, but Kentucky views them as a 4th or 5th option.

Edit: I would add in the transfer portal exploding is another thing. Basketball is very much a team sport. There is value in players playing with one another for years to develop chemistry. It's not like baseball where you can easily plug and play.

Good post with the exception of the highlighted item. KY can afford to buy an entire team and still have plenty left over for other stuff. There are a bunch of other factors that might make really good players turn down Big Blue's offer (e,g., the recruit's: perceived available playing time at KY, loyalty to a different coach, school or state, location of girlfriend and on and on).

One interesting (and old) example, with a local connection, of KY NIL money before there was NIL money involved a large basketball player from Mogadore. This example took place before some of you were born (early 1970s). KY got the recruit "a job" watching horses (not feeding them or grooming them - watching them) at $20 per hour (pretty good money back then). As far as I know there was no time clock to punch and no limit to the number of hours the recruit could "work." The local boy decided to attend KY and play for their team.

• Like 2

On 2/19/2024 at 8:53 PM, GP1 said:

I'm at the Texas vs Kansas State game. Worried about Zips attendance?  Texas has its entire upper deck covered with screens they project images upon. 

Showoffs. Like we could afford all those projection screens 🙄

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, ZippyRulz said:

Showoffs. Like we could afford all those projection screens 🙄

The screens aren't showing off. The tequila bars, wine stands where you can buy an entire bottle of wine and take it to your seat, and a champagne room for high dollar donors is the showing off part. 

• Haha 1

https://www.beaconjournal.com/story/sports/college/zips/2024/02/23/akron-zips-mens-college-basketball-3-point-streak-reggie-mcadams-steve-mcnees-ali-ali-sammy-hunter/72674516007/

I cannot believe this became a real article. I also can't believe that it is cool as it is. Didn't seem like it at the time, but Trendon Hankerson had a much better 3PT% than Xeyrius Williams for the one season each were here. 

32 minutes ago, Reslife4Life said:

https://www.beaconjournal.com/story/sports/college/zips/2024/02/23/akron-zips-mens-college-basketball-3-point-streak-reggie-mcadams-steve-mcnees-ali-ali-sammy-hunter/72674516007/

I cannot believe this became a real article. I also can't believe that it is cool as it is. Didn't seem like it at the time, but Trendon Hankerson had a much better 3PT% than Xeyrius Williams for the one season each were here. 

Beaven really dug into that story and did make it interesting.  The article's also accompanied by some nice photos.

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

I think I have seen Bud Wentz once before on Basketball Weekly with Coach Groce. I know he is a big donor, but he sounds impressive and quite the asset to the program. Maybe he's one of the regulars on this forum. If so, kudos to you.

7 minutes ago, Illini Zip said:

I think I have seen Bud Wentz once before on Basketball Weekly with Coach Groce. I know he is a big donor, but he sounds impressive and quite the asset to the program. Maybe he's one of the regulars on this forum. If so, kudos to you.

Correct.  I think that last season he was on the final episode of Basketball Weekly with Coach Groce.  Great dude 💯

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Beaven really dug into that story and did make it interesting.  The article's also accompanied by some nice photos.

The fun thing about going through that was remembering all the great Zips players who have brought us a lot of joy over the years. And the jaw dropping thing was a photo of Xeryrius Williams from 2020 with GREG TRIBBLE in the background. 

• Like 1