2024 MAC Tournament

21 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Yes. Valid foul. The only valid foul all night it seemed. Nate when to boxout with an elbow high to the chest.

I thought Groce was going to blow a gasket. He had just put Nate in for defense. That didn't work out well.

13 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Phew.  I can put off the 2023-2024 Zips Post-Mortem thread!

Any chance any MAC team plays in the CBI or CiT?

CIT is back this year with 16 teams, campus sites...4 pods of 4 teams each to keep costs down.

CBI, a little less exciting to me, but 16 teams all one site single elimination over four days

3 minutes ago, GJGood said:

CIT is back this year with 16 teams, campus sites...4 pods of 4 teams each to keep costs down.

CBI, a little less exciting to me, but 16 teams all one site single elimination over four days

You'll have to head to the Kent or OU boards to find out this weekend 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Zips have still never found that top performance gear but by God, they fought like crazy tonight. Now let’s win the whole thing so Sunday we see them in the bracket. 

got my tickets through UA tonight so hopefully they arrive per the email tomorrow. 

Watching Enrique Freeman has been one of the great sports pleasures of my life. What an incredible player and young man.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Illini Zip said:

I thought Groce was going to blow a gasket. He had just put Nate in for defense. That didn't work out well.

Should have kept Tavari in the game.  What a dumb play and I saw him do the same thing earlier in the season.

No one should bother looking to see if I posted anything negative about the Zips in this thread today. I was positive the entire time. You can take my word for it…

Anyway, I am going to get tickets on the opposite side of the court tomorrow to be by the Zips fans. Tons of Blobcat fans near us tonight. Though, I did enjoy their salty tears at the end.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This team.  Their ups and downs.  The scrounging for points.  The comebacks.  The losses of big leads.  The membership in the "Bricklayers Union" has certainly stressed this message board to the brink.  The fact that after all this crazy the final game is Akron v Kent is surreal.  16 points in the first half of MAC semi final?  and win?  the only tiny glimmer of hope was that OU only had 26.  Groce beats Boals and Ohio in Cleveland.  Big Deal.

1 hour ago, MDZip said:

In two games Freeman has 54 points, 33 rebounds and 8 blocks. They should just make him tournament MVP right now. 🤣

He played 39 minutes tonight. I know his energy seems endless, but he may need some help tomorrow.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GJGood said:

Bobcat Attack has a post that Boals confirmed they will not be going to the CBI or CIT - their season is over. 

• Like 1

Kent scored 73 today and beat BUGS by 13. BUGS shot 20% from 3 and 37% from the field. Kent shot 51% from the field and 66.7% from 3. Sullinger & Santiago shot 73%(!) from 3 on 15 attempts combined. Do with this information what you will. On one hand it's an impressive clip they were hitting at. On the other hand, it's pathetic that they only won by 13 and only scored 73 despite a nearly 50 percentage point different in success from behind the arc. 

Prather and Lyles each had 0 minutes tonight. They're fresh. Prather needs unleashed tomorrow, and Lyles needs used to absorb some fouls as I'm expecting PCCC to go HARD inside to try and get Freeman in foul trouble. 

Freeman has had 23 & 24 pts in the first 2 editions of this rivalry matchup this season. Kent's main hope is to limit how much Freeman is on the floor. He HAS to be smart, especially when Davis inevitably lowers his shoulder into him over and over again). I do not expect the MAC officiating to magically improve for tomorrow night (tonight was an absolute embarrassment for the league from an officiating standpoint; oh, and Bobcat Attack is complaining the refs didn't call enough fouls).

We had 2 bench pts tonight in total. 2. We're going to need at least 10 from the bench tomorrow night. Ali Ali needs to play motivated but composed; F Ali Ali cannot be in his head for trash talking and reactions. Need more from Tribble tomorrow night, and we need at least one of Dawson and Nate Johnson to have more of a positive impact (won't be hard given their rock bottom performances right now). Hunter needs to play big tomorrow to help Freeman down low. Tavari, Thornton, and Scott just need to take care of the damn ball and facilitate on offense. Get guys moving on and off the ball, and don't try to do too much. 

Lastly, Zips Nation has to be out in full force. The inbreds to the east always travel well and bring their Golden Shower stench with them. Hold your nose, show up, and be loud. Remember, we're the ones with one of the greatest players in MAC history. We have the better coach. We have more experience. And we are the superior school. 

Go Zips!

It's 12:30am and...

Edited by Let'sGoZips94

Quick thoughts:

- What a game. That was an all-timer. One of the wildest 4-5 minutes in recent MAC Tournament memory.

- OU is a good team. I was disappointed we lost the #1 seed because I didn't want to see them until the Final. They gave us everything we could handle though.

- Freeman, Ali, and Hunter stepped up as seniors and carried this team. They combined for 54 of our 65 points! 

- I thought Tavari looked good. Didn't score but made some beautiful passes to find his teammates. He can break down a defense even if he isn't scoring. 

- Of course, it's Kent. They were ridiculous from deep tonight (12-18, 67%) and that obviously can't happen tomorrow. Sullinger and Santiago both played all 40 minutes tonight and Santiago played the entire game Thursday. Hopefully they'll have tired legs tomorrow (I miss the days of #8 seeds having to win an additional game or two. Hopefully the MAC fixes that)

- Enrique Freeman...man...what a phenomenal player. I won't compare him to players from different eras like Jakubick, but he's got to be our best modern-era player in program history. He's special

Let's go get one more tomorrow!!!!

Tremendous overcoming of adversity by the Zips. I had an absolute blast tonight. Can’t wait until tomorrow night.

The key to the game is - Enrique getting any help. If we get multiple offensive contributors we’re dancing next week. 

Foul call #3 on Ali merits an investigation. If never seen a more egregious whistle in my life.

F Kent!

• Like 2