Keeping up with Keith (Dambrot)

11 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

The Pittsburgh press is as lazy as the rest of them and is better than most at cheerleading for bad decisions. 

This article claims he has good experience. Five years at CSU and Duquesne combined isn't that great of experience. Being friends with James isn't experience. This is ABJ level logic. 

Don't take the job Dru. It's a historically bad program that went on a great 5 game stretch. It's almost always a coach killer. Find an assistant job at a good P5 program for a couple of years. The connection with James will be enticing for one of them just like it is for Duquesne. If you want after that, take a mid major job. It's a better path to a P5 HC job. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, GP1 said:

The Pittsburgh press is as lazy as the rest of them and is better than most at cheerleading for bad decisions. 

This article claims he has good experience. Five years at CSU and Duquesne combined isn't that great of experience. Being friends with James isn't experience. This is ABJ level logic. 

Don't take the job Dru. It's a historically bad program that went on a great 5 game stretch. It's almost always a coach killer. Find an assistant job at a good P5 program for a couple of years. The connection with James will be enticing for one of them just like it is for Duquesne. If you want after that, take a mid major job. It's a better path to a P5 HC job. 

They won 9 straight before losing to Illinois and had won 16 of their last 19. They had a good team this year that got hit hard by injuries that resulted in a brutal month where they went 1-6. 

I think your concerns about them staying at the top are warranted, but this wasn't a .500 team that got hot for a few games in March (Ex: Kent). 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, GP1 said:

I posted on December 18th after watching their game with Bradley that Dru was obviously the front runner for the job and it still appears to be true.  It took all of 15 seconds of watching the Dukes to realize it.  Dru's been KD's associate head coach since May of 2022.  Does he have an extensive resume, no, but he's been a major part of that team's success since he arrived so it's not a stretch that he'll get the job.  Nor is he going to turn it down and this has obviously been KD's plan since his brought him here and KD's credibility with the Duquesne administration has only been bolstered by their recent run. 

I would imagine it's more about trying to keep the ball rolling and build on their success. If they go out and try to bring in an external candidate, the bulk of their players likely transfer and they have a 'year 0' with a complete rebuild.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I would imagine it's more about trying to keep the ball rolling and build on their success. If they go out and try to bring in an external candidate, the bulk of their players likely transfer and they have a 'year 0' with a complete rebuild.

Indeed. The logic makes sense, but big gamble for both AD and Dru.

2 hours ago, LZIp said:

Indeed. The logic makes sense, but big gamble for both AD and Dru.

Good point. It's a huge gamble and one he doesn't need to make at this point in his career. He shouldn't kill a bright future there. Nobody recovers. With the exception of KD, look at this list of failures and their bad jobs after Duquesne. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Duquesne_Dukes_men's_basketball_head_coaches

Good for Dru. It's a gamble for a bb program in a multi-bid (more often than not) conference to take a flier on a guy with zero HC experience...but what do they have to lose? Worst case, they wait another 47 years to get into the tournament.

I'd rather take my chances with a guy like Dru than dig up some HC retread that had marginal P5 success.

Wonder what the future holds for McNees and McFadden? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Good for Dru. It's a gamble for a bb program in a multi-bid (more often than not) conference to take a flier on a guy with zero HC experience...but what do they have to lose? Worst case, they wait another 47 years to get into the tournament.

I'd rather take my chances with a guy like Dru than dig up some HC retread that had marginal P5 success.

McFadden played with Joyce, I bet he stays on.

1 hour ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Good for Dru. 

Steve hasn't been on the staff for at least 3 years. He has a training academy he owns and operates. Not sure if Rick will stay on with Dru.

2 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

I wonder if Dru would be more open to scheduling home and homes against Akron. Low travel costs and decent OOC competition.

It’d be impossible to get in but a game at St V would be very neat. Might even get lebron to show up if it’s like a “Dambrot Night” honoring him 

6 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

All I can say is his potential recruits will be thrilled to be getting calls from LBJ.

15 hours ago, Zippy87 said:

I'm curious for those who cheered against KD, will you support Dru?

I will never be able to root for Duquesne, regardless of who is coaching there. Especially after this past season.

But hypothetically we can ignore the school. To me this is no different than if someone like Getsy or Frye went to coach some random Sun Belt school. If they had success, won bowl games and conference championships while the Zips continued to be mediocre. Would I be happy? I'd be jealous and pissed that it wasn't happening for us. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, csims0917 said:

It’d be impossible to get in but a game at St V would be very neat. Might even get lebron to show up if it’s like a “Dambrot Night” honoring him 

It would be lame. I can think of 1,000 better ideas. Here are two. 

First, home and home in Cleveland and the Pens arena in Pittsburgh. Make it part of a double header with Pitt playing Team X in Pittsburgh and OSU playing Team X in Cleveland. 

Second, play in a double header at a military base or on the deck of an aircraft carrier during the holiday season. Bring KD along and give him something. Make the destination somewhere nice like San Diego where KD and his wife can have a nice vacation around some basketball. 

When the school does something permanent for KD like hanging a banner in his name or naming the court after him, it should be on a Friday night when Kent comes to town. Honoring KD at a high school basketball gym just so every can name drop LBJ, again, is nonsensical. Good grief, St V is in a horrible part of the city with a hotel across the street known as the "hooker hotel".

52 minutes ago, GP1 said:

It would be lame. I can think of 1,000 better ideas. Here are two. 

First, home and home in Cleveland and the Pens arena in Pittsburgh. Make it part of a double header with Pitt playing Team X in Pittsburgh and OSU playing Team X in Cleveland. 

Second, play in a double header at a military base or on the deck of an aircraft carrier during the holiday season. Bring KD along and give him something. Make the destination somewhere nice like San Diego where KD and his wife can have a nice vacation around some basketball. 

When the school does something permanent for KD like hanging a banner in his name or naming the court after him, it should be on a Friday night when Kent comes to town. Honoring KD at a high school basketball gym just so every can name drop LBJ, again, is nonsensical. Good grief, St V is in a horrible part of the city with a hotel across the street known as the "hooker hotel".

With the way SVSM has swallowed up the neighborhood, the area near the school is pretty safe.  Certainly no worse than the area surrounding UA.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

With the way SVSM has swallowed up the neighborhood, the area near the school is pretty safe.  Certainly no worse than the area surrounding UA.

It's downright paradisiacal compared to the part of town Hoban's in 😂

• Thanks 1