Zips MAC Tournament- 2022

37 minutes ago, a-zip said:

Skipping his way home 🤣🤣🤣

IMG_6445 copy.jpg

This still blows my mind that he celebrated hitting a 3 like this. While his team was still down 1 point and he totaled 6 points and 9 turnovers. 

Get over yourself. 

Edited by akzipper

28 minutes ago, akzipper said:

This still blows my mind that he celebrated hitting a 3 like this. While his team was still down 1 point and he totaled 6 points and 9 turnovers. 

Get over yourself. 

This is what success at Can't looks like. Glad I have a diploma from a real university.

Edited by UAZipster0305
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, akzipper said:

Get over yourself. 

He saw the TV camera and did his little dance for the audience.   Hes a poser and a narcissist.  Can see why KD had no tolerance for him

45 minutes ago, akzipper said:

Get over yourself. 

When that happened, my first thought was "oh wow, he's trying to convince himself that they've got this, when he knows they're still in deep trouble."

5 minutes ago, exit322 said:

When that happened, my first thought was "oh wow, he's trying to convince himself that they've got this, when he knows they're still in deep trouble."

You're giving his brain too much credit. It doesn't go much deeper than made basket/am happy

How many of us thought we'd be in this position after losing three straight games almost a month ago?  I'll admit that I didn't.  At the time, the team wasn't playing well and was struggling against the bottom teams in the conference.  It's amazing to see how this team has adapted and grown in less than a month.  And Groce...he's a magician in March.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, zipsrule said:

How many of us thought we'd be in this position after losing three straight games almost a month ago?  I'll admit that I didn't.  At the time, the team wasn't playing well and was struggling against the bottom teams in the conference.  It's amazing to see how this team has adapted and grown in less than a month.  And Groce...he's a magician in March.

I'm not gonna say I thought we'd be in this position, but I was thinking, "Just get us to Match so we can see what Groce does."

Admittedly, and this deserves a public apologize, I was wrong about X, Ali, Clark, etc. They are more than welcome to don the Akron Blue & Gold for as long as they'd like. Amazing team. 

2 minutes ago, zipsrule said:

Groce made 2 big moves.  First, he parted ways with Trimble.  This made the team quicker on defense and less dependent on the 3 ball.  Also, since Trimble did not rebound and Wynn and Dawson hit the boards, we became a better rebounding team.  Also, Trimble rarely got to the foul line and by driving the ball to the basket more we got to the foul line more.

Also, he limited Aziz minutes.  Because of his length, Azziz is very slow and once he jumps off his feet he cannot recover and cannot rebound.  He was also a liability of offense. Groce had Ali and Freeman as post up players.  We played better small without Azziz. 

Also, I had given up on Clark halfway through the season and Groce had faith in him and he had a very good tournament.  Especially hitting 3 three pointers in the finals.  After Trimble left this team really played well and I agree it was a very pleasant surprise based on great coaching.

• Like 2

I’ve been down on Clarke all season, and I think there is still some silly stuff to clean up, but have to give him credit for hitting some BIG shots last night. I hope he carries the improvement to the tourney and into next season. We need it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

That was X and he tweaked a knee, or groin, or hammy, or something about 5-10 minutes earlier going for a ball on Kent's baseline. He fought through it the rest of the game and I think he was just letting his guard down, being a little melodramatic & nursing that (minor🤞) injury.  

EDIT: As I rewatch the above video, it looks like he may have simply had a charlie horse in the calf. 

At first I thought he may have hurt his knee coming down from the chest bump. Good to now know he is all good. 

So many observations and comments, but I'll add yet another one here.  On rewatching the game (for the 3rd time 😂) I'm impressed by how we absolutely did not get punked by KSUcks this time around.  I really noticed we were the ones making KSUcks yield to us on two separate occasions in the first half.  At 17:26 of the first half X got locked up with a KSUcks big on a jump ball, yanked the ball away from KSUck's big & stared at him.  KSUck's big diverted his gaze.  Then at 2:39 of the 1st half, Tribble got locked up on a held ball with KSUck's Garcia (who's one big dude) but didn't let go of the ball (Tribble's stacked himself) and stared right at Garcia & Garcia diverted his gaze.

tenor-202166753.gif.088296a2a71a344cbe491c351fe18bb3.gif

4 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

So many observations and comments, but I'll add yet another one here.  On rewatching the game (for the 3rd time 😂) I'm impressed by how we absolutely did not get punked by KSUcks this time around.  I really noticed we were the ones making KSUcks yield to us on two separate occasions in the first half.  At 17:26 of the first half X got locked up with a KSUcks big on a jump ball, yanked the ball away from KSUck's big & stared at him.  KSUck's big diverted his gaze.  Then at 2:39 of the 1st half, Tribble got locked up on a held ball with KSUck's Garcia (who's one big dude) but didn't let go of the ball (Tribble's stacked himself) and stared right at Garcia & Garcia diverted his gaze.

tenor-202166753.gif.088296a2a71a344cbe491c351fe18bb3.gif

Also late in the 2nd half Castenada literally ripped ball out of Kent's big hands after he looked to have secured an offensive board 

In Groce's comments at the post game presser he mentioned that the success of the Akron program was one of the reasons that he WANTED to come here after Illinois. That got me to thinking of the hiring of coach Moorhead. JoMo also said he WANTED to be at Akron. If you recall a couple of years ago Louisville made a big run at Jared Embick. Despite more money Jared didn't go because he too WANTED to be here. Coach Mitchell has also built a top 25 track program here and despite other schools pursuing him he WANTS to stay at Akron. Our AD Charles Guthrie also WANTED to come here.

My point is that regardless of the greed and arrogance of the P5 schools Akron is a great place to be, in fact it can be an appealing place to be and we should take pride in that. Groce, Moorhead and Guthrie will all probably move on one day. I think it is appropriate to stop and enjoy what may evolve into the golden age of Zip sports. We have coaches who want to be here. We have an administration that expects and fosters performance. We have good facilities. That's a winning combination. Add to that a fan base that, while limited, is growing and is excited. Many of the posters and readers on ZNO helped keep the flame glowing. For that we all should be grateful. Your efforts are paying off.

None of these coaches would want to be at a place that doesn't care. ZNO cares! Go Zips!

• Like 4