Enrique Freeman

1 hour ago, Reslife4Life said:

Such an enjoyable watch/listen. I'll say it until I'm blue in the face - Groce has a lifetime contract at Akron for as long as he wants to coach. This program will always be in good hands with him. 

Groce made a point that the University needs to start capitalizing on. We have an OOC game coming up on ESPN2 that will be a terrific time to start. Enrique for 1st Team All America. He is absolutely one of the best players in the country and needs to be marketed as such. 

• Like 3

On 1/27/2024 at 8:18 AM, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Good article. Camryn Justice is an Akron grad I believe and has been getting some big run as a Cleveland sports journalist recently. The more eyes on Freeman and the Akron program, the better. Getting to be a bit embarrassing though the lack of self marketing by the University itself. 

She does an awesome job covering Cleveland sports. There are like 4-5 Akron grads all over Cleveland media with multiple on sports talk radio. It's always nice when the Zips get coverage and really wish it happened more. I'd assume their bosses tell them to push OSU as much as possible and keep Akron talk minimal. 

Edited by akzipper
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, akzipper said:

She does an awesome job covering Cleveland sports. There are like 4-5 Akron grads all over Cleveland media with multiple on sports talk radio. It's always nice when the Zips get coverage and really wish it happened more. I'd assume their bosses tell them to push OSU as much as possible and keep Akron talk minimal. 

Ken Carmen openly dogs on Ohio State and it's hilarious, especially when Lima gets pissed with it. Akron is very well represented within the Cleveland sports media scene. Kent has Tom Hamilton's son Bradley who, like his dad, does a great job at what he does (although more overall news than strictly sports). They also have Baskin & Phelps, and of course Josh Cribbs. Ohio has G Bush, but other than that, Akron has the stronger presence. Well done UofA. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Ken Carmen openly dogs on Ohio State and it's hilarious, especially when Lima gets pissed with it. Akron is very well represented within the Cleveland sports media scene. Kent has Tom Hamilton's son Bradley who, like his dad, does a great job at what he does (although more overall news than strictly sports). They also have Baskin & Phelps, and of course Josh Cribbs. Ohio has G Bush, but other than that, Akron has the stronger presence. Well done UofA. 

Ken Carmen is awesome. Anytime a Cleveland radio guy goes after OSU, I'm a fan. Except for Aaron Goldhammer. I HATE that guy more than anyone else on the radio.

I think Tony Rizzo went to Ohio, while Jason Gibbs and Jay Crawford are Bowling Green guys. You'd think with that much representation, the MAC would get more love. But Ohio State will aways be king. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Personally I have no ill will to Ohio State. I grew up watching with my dad despite him also being an Akron alum. The interest is different though. Never feels like Akron and OSU are in the same division with how little they interact. So I still wear the gear and root for them to win the natty in football and try to be competent at basketball lol. Akron is better than OSU this year Im convinced on that.

2 hours ago, csims0917 said:

Personally I have no ill will to Ohio State. I grew up watching with my dad despite him also being an Akron alum. The interest is different though. Never feels like Akron and OSU are in the same division with how little they interact. So I still wear the gear and root for them to win the natty in football and try to be competent at basketball lol. Akron is better than OSU this year Im convinced on that.

Akron football has been a joke for the last decade, so I don't blame people for not caring. Personally for me though I'd rather watch my school lose every game in a mediocre conference than be a fan of some school in Columbus I have no connection to. Watching the Zips win a national championship in soccer or making the NCAA tournament in basketball means more to me because I feel more attached. 

I didn't grow up in Ohio and only lived in the state for 4 years. I was shocked with how so many people blindly worship OSU. Here in PA, most Penn State fans I know either went to school in State College or one of the branch campuses. Other than that there's some Pitt people, D2 fans of PSAC schools and that's about it. I guess the Buckeyes in Ohio are just a different animal and I never really got the appeal. 

Edited by akzipper
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, csims0917 said:

After the scare Akron gave Ohio State a couple of years back it might be some time before they play again. I'm convinced the Big Ten protects their lower ranks. Right now there are 5 Big Ten teams that want nothing to do with Akron per the NET rankings. And if you are right about Ohio State that would be 6 maybe 7 teams.

There were more than a few years back in the early 2000's that I thought Illinois football would get their butt kicked by Northern Illinois. And because of that they never played. They might play now.

Edited by Illini Zip
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, akzipper said:

Akron football has been a joke for the last decade, so I don't blame people for not caring. Personally for me though I'd rather watch my school lose every game in a mediocre conference than be a fan of some school in Columbus I have no connection to. Watching the Zips win a national championship in soccer or making the NCAA tournament in basketball means more to me because I feel more attached. 

I didn't grow up in Ohio and only lived in the state for 4 years. I was shocked with how so many people blindly worship OSU. Here in PA, most Penn State fans I know either went to school in State College or one of the branch campuses. Other than that there's some Pitt people, D2 fans of PSAC schools and that's about it. I guess the Buckeyes in Ohio are just a different animal and I never really got the appeal. 

I also grew up in Pa. and I am also perplexed by the Ohio State fever.

• Like 2

OSU football definitely dominates. When it comes to college basketball I mostly see apathy in Northeast Ohio until March rolls around. The people around here that are really into college basketball and actually watch the regular season seem to be UNC, Kentucky, or a program like that.

Buckeyes basketball don't hold that same grip. Perhaps because they have never been as successful as their football counterpart or because basketball as a whole just gets overshadowed by football In these parts. When the Cavs aren't winning, the Q is maybe 50-60% full.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, MDZip said:

So about this Enrique Freeman kid... 

17 & 15 last night. A good showing versus JMU and he'll have another MAC POTW. In addition, if he has a good showing against JMU on ESPN2, he should start getting legitimate national attention. 

6 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

17 & 15 last night. A good showing versus JMU and he'll have another MAC POTW. In addition, if he has a good showing against JMU on ESPN2, he should start getting legitimate national attention. 

JMU has a decent big man, TJ Bickertsaff, a Boston College transfer (Drexel before that).  He's averaging 13.9 and 8.9.  Besting him would be a nice show for the country. 

• Like 1

I appreciate that Enrique (and Bass) and other bigs are trying to expand their range by shooting 3 pointers, but wouldn't it be better if they just shot from the top of the key or the elbow? Seems like that would open up the lane for them if wanted just as well and it should be an easier shot. 🤔 

7 minutes ago, ewbrooman1 said:

I appreciate that Enrique (and Bass) and other bigs are trying to expand their range by shooting 3 pointers, but wouldn't it be better if they just shot from the top of the key or the elbow? Seems like that would open up the lane for them if wanted just as well and it should be an easier shot. 🤔 

Top of the key/elbow are only a couple feet difference from the 3 pt line. Risk/reward of those few feet isn't worth it. Give me a 3 pt attempt over a deep 2 pt jumped any day of the week. 

1 hour ago, ewbrooman1 said:

Mid-rangers are statistically the worst shots one can take. If one shoots 35% from 3, which isn't even good, you would have to shoot 52.5% from mid-range to be as efficient. 

• 3 weeks later...

Joe Jakubick - 2583

Len Paul - 2028

Eric McLaughlin - 1810

Enrique Freeman - 1662

If Enrique Freeman scores 30 PPG for the remainder of the regular season, he'll be #3. If he scored 19 PPG, we would need to make it to Saturday in Cleveland. Anything less would require a post-season tourney (NCAAs or NIT). 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Joe Jakubick - 2583

Len Paul - 2028

Eric McLaughlin - 1810

Enrique Freeman - 1662

If Enrique Freeman scores 30 PPG for the remainder of the regular season, he'll be #3. If he scored 19 PPG, we would need to make it to Saturday in Cleveland. Anything less would require a post-season tourney (NCAAs or NIT). 

Wow will anyone ever come close to Joe Jakubick? Enrique averaged double digits for 4 seasons and isn't even close lol. A redshirt freshman would need to stay all 4 years and be the main scorer from day one

38 minutes ago, Reslife4Life said:

Wow will anyone ever come close to Joe Jakubick? Enrique averaged double digits for 4 seasons and isn't even close lol. A redshirt freshman would need to stay all 4 years and be the main scorer from day one

Here are some big time programs' all-time leading scorers...

Kentucky: Dan Israel - 2138

Kansas: Danny Manning - 2951 (#2 is Nick Collision with 2097)

Duke: JJ Redick - 2769 (#2 is Johnny Dawkins with 2556)

UNC: Tyler Hansborough - 2872 (#2 is Phil Ford with 2290)

UCLA: Don MacLean - 2608 (#2 is Kew Alcindor - AKA Kareem Abdul-Jabbar - with 2325)

Some all-time great individuals...

Pete Maravich - 3667 (NCAA scoring record)

Doug McDermott - 3150

Oscar Robertson - 2973

Larry Bird - 2850

Had Akron been in the MAC during Joe's career, he would be the all-time leading scorer in MAC history. Bonzi Wells currently wears that crown with 2485. Jakubick is the 55th leading scorer among DI programs currently. Fun fact - he's 6 spots ahead of Austin Carr. 

So, long story short - no, nobody will catch Jakubick, barring an all-time great not just at Akron, but in NCAA history. 

• Like 2