Enrique Freeman

6 minutes ago, Zippy87 said:

Better vs a potential fit in the NBA is very different IMO. I think with a strong senior year Freeman could absolutely get looks as an energy bench big.

He at the very least needs to develop a midrange game this offseason before NBA scouts would bother looking at his tape. The NBA game is much more a guard driven league compared to college. There aren't many bigs in the league with limited range anymore as teams don't want the driving lanes clogged.

What Freeman has going for him is he's a capable defender on guards so he does fit the positionless basketball mantra the league is moving towards.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

He at the very least needs to develop a midrange game this offseason before NBA scouts would bother looking at his tape. The NBA game is much more a guard driven league compared to college. There aren't many bigs in the league with limited range anymore as teams don't want the driving lanes clogged.

What Freeman has going for him is he's a capable defender on guards so he does fit the positionless basketball mantra the league is moving towards.

This is exactly why I wouldn't be surprised if he gets looks. Not saying 1st Round, but as a bench role player? I can see.

18 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

I thought the revised rule limited players to only one transfer with immediate eligibility?

I'm fairly certain that only pertains to undergrads. You were always allowed to grad transfer while maintaining eligibility. I saw nothing about them eliminating that.

https://www.ncsasports.org/recruiting/ncaa-transfer-rules#:~:text=NCAA graduate transfer rules&text=You must graduate from your,school that has your sport.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2023 at 6:07 PM, Captain Kangaroo said:

I thought the revised rule limited players to only one transfer with immediate eligibility?

I'm not sure what the question is regarding Enrique's ability to have a fifth graduate year.  Almost certain any SA can take a fifth year of eligibility if they've graduated. And he has never transfered even once. Honestly I am amazed at the loyalty Enrique is showing to the Akron program and coach Groce, but at the same time I really would like to see how he matches up on an every game basis against the best in the sport. I believe he's good enough to start for virtually any team in America.  And as I mentioned earlier, coach Groce's ability to bring Rique back in 23-24 in itself earns him my vote for Coach of the Year for 2024.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

He’s 6’7”, can jump out of the gym, finishes at the rim, plays great defense, hustles relentlessly, great head on his shoulders, has shown well against P5 competition…what’s not to like for an NBA team?

Second round draft picks are like confederate money to NBA teams. I’d spend a late second rounder on Enrique and see how he could develop when he dedicates 100% of his time to hoops rather than 25% to hoops, and 75% to study tables. 

Fully immersed in basketball, with a professional coaching and training staff, he could develop into an NBA player. He has all the tools.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

He’s 6’7”, can jump out of the gym, finishes at the rim, plays great defense, hustles relentlessly, great head on his shoulders, has shown well against P5 competition…what’s not to like for an NBA team?

Second round draft picks are like confederate money to NBA teams. I’d spend a late second rounder on Enrique and see how he could develop when he dedicates 100% of his time to hoops rather than 25% to hoops, and 75% to study tables. 

Fully immersed in basketball, with a professional coaching and training staff, he could develop into an NBA player. He has all the tools.

I love Freeman but how many 6’7” low post players can you name in the NBA?  Danny Fortson is the last one I can remember.  Freeman is a tremendous talent but his lack of NBA size makes me think that pre-draft he grades out as an undrafted free agent and returns to the Zips.  

Zeke was a legitimate seven footer who did not get any looks from the NBA at draft time.   At 6’7” Freeman needs small forward skills to go to the show.   He will be a beast oversees when his time at Akron is done.  

if Freeman does leave, I hope I am wrong and he makes it.  However, I remember reading how several members of ZNO thought LCJ was heading to the show as well.  You can’t coach speed or height.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Zip JD said:

I love Freeman but how many 6’7” low post players can you name in the NBA?  Danny Fortson is the last one I can remember.  Freeman is a tremendous talent but his lack of NBA size makes me think that pre-draft he grades out as an undrafted free agent and returns to the Zips.  

Zeke was a legitimate seven footer who did not get any looks from the NBA at draft time.   At 6’7” Freeman needs small forward skills to go to the show.   He will be a beast oversees when his time at Akron is done.  

if Freeman does leave, I hope I am wrong and he makes it.  However, I remember reading how several members of ZNO thought LCJ was heading to the show as well.  You can’t coach speed or height.  

He is athletic enough to develop small forward skills but he will need to learn to shoot and to attack the basket from the perimeter.  He has developed more than any other Zip player in 3 years so it is possible but the odds are against him.

Freeman's a great kid and a great player for us, but I don't see how his current display of skills at 6'7" transfers to the NBA. At his size he would be a small forward and although he is a great rebounder, he is not a wide body like Fortson (or Barkley). His game is a lot like Trayce Jackson Davis of Indiana, who is 6'9". TJD stayed a fourth season to get better and still hasn't really shown a shot range facing the basket. Hopefully Freeman will learn a few things as he tests the NBA waters and come back and lead the Zips to another big season.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/7/2023 at 4:37 PM, Zip JD said:

I am just so thankful that the NBA lets the college players with remaining eligibility come in for evaluations and gives them a pre-draft estimate of where they will be drafted (or not likely to be drafted).  There was nothing worse than when a kid would leave early to declare for the draft and go undrafted. 

Even better, Freeman is coming back and not heading to a bigger program for one year.  RayJ to Baylor comes to mind...

I cannot wait to get back to the JAR for this team. 

• Like 7

On 4/18/2023 at 12:41 PM, Let'sGoZips94 said:

I think Memphis should draft Emoni. I think JA Morant would be a good mentor. 

Headlines that have aged like milk...

Tigers star Emoni Bates sees Ja Morant as a 'big brother'

I remember when the media tried to tell us how positive it was that Bates had him as a mentor. 

Guarantee the Cavs had scouts watch the Zips absolutely demolish Eastern last season and I guarantee they saw them completely shut down Bates. Didn't he also have a meltdown on the bench?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, akzipper said:

Headlines that have aged like milk...

Tigers star Emoni Bates sees Ja Morant as a 'big brother'

I remember when the media tried to tell us how positive it was that Bates had him as a mentor. 

Guarantee the Cavs had scouts watch the Zips absolutely demolish Eastern last season and I guarantee they saw them completely shut down Bates. Didn't he also have a meltdown on the bench?

yes.  I think that was the ugliest MAC game at the JAR (other than some Zip clunkers) since I've been attending games...that goes back 25 years.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

yes.  I think that was the ugliest MAC game at the JAR (other than some Zip clunkers) since I've been attending games...that goes back 25 years.

I took a few friends to the game & hyped it up to see Emoni.  After the game I apologized for wasting their evening.

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Haha 4