Games 4, 5 & 6- Cayman Islands Classic Basketball Tournament

clarkwgriswold

Hunter not in, but Greg on that last possession doesn't make sense to me when you need a 3. Thornton also shot early. Acceptable games from Freeman, Tribble, and Hunter from the eye test. Need more from everyone else.

Loss stinks, but don't think we could've collectively played much worse. Silver lining is we get to play a really good Drake team.

Dawson played bad all game.  Not sure why he was in the game at the end.  We played poorly and still had a chance to win at the end.  Hopefully we can learn from the experience and come back strong tomorrow.  The large number of mistakes at the end cost us this game reminded me of our football team.    

Had a bad feeling when our first FG attempt was a 3 that wasn’t even close. Dawson and Tavari looked way off shooting. And Thornton alligator armed a pair of wide open layups. Blown blockout in the last minute. Thrown away ball by Dawson. We really did look like the football Zips tonight. 

It felt a lot like the South Dakota State game, only the shots weren’t falling. Specifically Dawson, who came up huge in that game with clutch deep 3s. They didn’t fall today and that got to him. This is more like the early season losses I remember from years past. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, zipsrule said:

We were 5 of 24 from 3 for 20.8%.  Not good.

Looks even worse if you subtract Sammy Hunters numbers from the total. 

It's not like this team was going to go undefeated anyway. On the plus side this team has an opportunity to quickly redeem themselves with the game tomorrow. Let's see how we can respond.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

It's not like this team was going to go undefeated anyway.

This is how I feel. We weren't going to go undefeated, and without a P6 opponent on our schedule we were very unlikely to receive any Top 25 votes anyway (which I always covet). So, whatever, bad games happen. Let's learn from it & move on.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Ali Ali makes the difference in this game. 

And yesterday,  you said Dawson would have made the difference last year.  And for last night Ali would have made the difference.   If only Groce nabbed Bass before Kent did...Bass would have made the difference...

19 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

And yesterday,  you said Dawson would have made the difference last year.  And for last night Ali would have made the difference.   If only Groce nabbed Bass before Kent did...Bass would have made the difference...

Kretzer and McAdams' shooting would've made the difference last night

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NWAkron said:

He also spent much of the previous 15 months criticizing Ali and saying the team was better without him...

I'd say the main weakness on this team is they lack a LCJ or Castaneda type guard who can both create his own shot and create offense for others at an All-MAC level. Ali, while not the elite facilitator like the previous others I mentioned, has the ability to both create his shot and create open looks for others. Having him at the forward position should help ease some of those responsibilities from the guards.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

He also spent much of the previous 15 months criticizing Ali and saying the team was better without him...

I'd say the main weakness on this team is they lack a LCJ or Castaneda type guard who can both create his own shot and create offense for others at an All-MAC level. Ali, while not the elite facilitator like the previous others I mentioned, has the ability to both create his shot and create open looks for others. Having him at the forward position should help ease some of those responsibilities from the guards.

Again, he has to do both or this team doesn't improve. Really interested to see what version Ali we will see eventually.

Nate Johnson might be the best chance we have at a guy that can create his own shot like the previous two. He has a good outside shot, it just needs to find him more often beyond the arc.

2 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

Well, adding a pre-season All-MAC player, who previously led a MAC champion in scoring will in all likelihood improve the team, if nothing else, he will add quality depth. 

I'm as big of an Ali fan on here as anyone. However, minus last game, I found myself questioning where exactly he fits in with the way N Johnson and Dawson were playing to begin the season. I think N Johnson has took a big step forward. Dawson sort of is what he is at this point in his career, but that isn't a knock. Very good D and hustle player with the ability to knock down the 3 at a high rate. I was initially thinking Lyles would lose minutes with a rotation of Ali playing the 4 and Hunter playing the 5 when Freeman is getting a breather, but Lyles hasn't been getting any minutes as is. 

There are a lot of capable bodies and only so many minutes to go around. Ali is ideally going to take on 30 minutes a game. I see it cut into Johnson and Dawson's PT directly the most, and maybe Scott's indirectly the most.  I'd think the players are aware of this already, and hope it doesn't affect the team dynamic in a negative way. 

Line has swung back and forth quite a bit. Now sitting at Drake -1.5 but it really just depends on the book. Neither team has looked great this week and I’m a skeptical traumatized Akron fan when it comes to nonconference games against top 100 squads. I’m expecting a pretty close loss, but a win would be damn cool. 

Some pregame thoughts...

For me, the purpose of these games are to challenge the team to get better. In all likelihood, our season will come down to a few games in Cleveland. I want our guys to be battle-tested by the time those games come and think these experiences will help.

Frontcourt depth is a concern for me. If Freeman ever gets in foul trouble (or worse, hurt) we will have that flaw exposed. I was hoping Baker would get minutes, but he's RS. Lyles hasn't played much. Hunter has size but doesn't rebound. 

The other concern is players who can create offense. Tavari has raw potential but hasn't put it together. Ali Ali will help this a lot, as mentioned earlier.

I'm also curious if Prather Jr. will see the floor. When he signed Groce said, "He is an elite shooter that can create opportunities for himself and his teammates with his playmaking skills. Ryan is also a high-level defender that plays with motor and physicality." Sounds like exactly to type of player who can help offensively. Not sure if he's hurt or just not looking good in practice or what, but we need to see what he has to give this team at some point.