Tom Arth hired by the Pittsburgh Steelers as passing game coordinator

55 minutes ago, Head coach Huell Jackson said:

It's possible that he could make Kenny Pickett even worse than he is now.

Edited by blueandgold
  • Haha 1

Considering Arth's lack of success at UA, he's fallen ass-backwards into a good job in the NFL.  Whether he can do it or not is doubtful. In related UA topics....Over at 11 Warriors the OSU crowd seems to want Moorhead to replace Bill O'Brien, who is headed to Boston College. https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2024/02/145346/10-possible-candidates-to-replace-bill-o-brien-as-ohio-state-s-offensive-coordinator#comments 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2024 at 4:28 PM, clarkwgriswold said:

Despite his experience here, I think Arth is fairly well regarded in NFL circles.  Some guys are great position coaches/assistants but don't have the administrative and motivational skills to be an effective head coach.  Maybe he's one of those guys.

Reality it was a huge mistake to bring in a guy with no FBS experience without requiring him to have a Chuck Amato type of OC/DC. He was way in over his head. You see it all levels. Some people are fantastic OC/DC/ position coaches, but when promoted to a higher role fail miserably. 

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

Reality it was a huge mistake to bring in a guy with no FBS experience without requiring him to have a Chuck Amato type of OC/DC. He was way in over his head. You see it all levels. Some people are fantastic OC/DC/ position coaches, but when promoted to a higher role fail miserable. 

I defended Arth as long as I could, but after so long there was just nothing left to defend.  Its a shame he was set up to fail, but can anyone be surprised by that?   

• 4 weeks later...

Just curious. “Set up to fail”?

He was an experienced college coach (not at this level) 40-8 at John Carroll, including a 12-2 9-0 season in D3. Sure the talent levels and size are way different, the X’s and O’s don’t change much. You make strategies to take advantages of their weaknesses while understanding your own. 

unless you don’t know how to.

• 3 months later...
On 2/26/2024 at 11:40 AM, kreed5120 said:

Reality it was a huge mistake to bring in a guy with no FBS experience without requiring him to have a Chuck Amato type of OC/DC. He was way in over his head. You see it all levels. Some people are fantastic OC/DC/ position coaches, but when promoted to a higher role fail miserably. 

As the Dr Z article points out, it's Akron's fault, being a historically difficult place to win at 🙄

On 3/23/2024 at 8:29 PM, Spin said:

Just curious. “Set up to fail”?

He was an experienced college coach (not at this level) 40-8 at John Carroll, including a 12-2 9-0 season in D3. Sure the talent levels and size are way different, the X’s and O’s don’t change much. You make strategies to take advantages of their weaknesses while understanding your own. 

unless you don’t know how to.

I think the biggest part of it is he just didn’t recruit well enough. Whether that was due to having poor recruiters on staff, the admin not giving enough support, or some other reason, I don’t know. Maybe all of the above? Regardless, it still falls back on him. A lot of coaches that were great at X’s and O’s, but were poor recruiters have flamed out at the D1 level. Steve Spurrier is one of the elite coaches of all time and flat out stop recruited during his last few years at South Carolina. At the tail end, he just wanted to coach football and let his assistants do the rest. Unfortunately, it doesn’t work like that.

I know All-Conference isn’t the end all be all, especially when some of it goes off of win totals, but it’s a decent barometer for recruiting. Arth recruited 6 All-MAC players in three classes. The caveat is that 2 of them were developed by Moorhead’s staff.

Dollard

Watts

Brank

Mumpfield

Irons*

Gathings*

Not a single OL or DL on the list. 

Edited by catdaddyp

3 hours ago, ZippyRulz said:

As the Dr Z article points out, it's Akron's fault, being a historically difficult place to win at 🙄

After reading that article I wanted to go out and hire him again. Then reality set in and I was reminded a very simple fact, he's a horrible head coach. Thank you reality! 

• Haha 2