Enrique Freeman

Forgot to post this. Double Double leaders. The second-to-last number is the total games. Enrique has the most double doubles in the fewest number of the games. Wild.

Last updated Monday, December 25, 2023 12:54 am - Through games Sunday, December 24, 2023

1    Vonterius Woolbright    Western Caro.    Sr.    6-6    G    12    9
-    Enrique Freeman    Akron    Sr.    6-7    F    11    9
3    Michael Ajayi    Pepperdine    Jr.    6-7    G    14    8
-    Joel Soriano    St. John's (NY)    Sr.    6-11    F    12    8
-    Fardaws Aimaq    California    Sr.    6-11    C    11    8
-    Dillon Jones    Weber St.    Jr.    6-6    F    10    8
7    DJ Burns    Youngstown St.    Sr.    6-7    F    13    7
-    Nate Martin    Marshall    Jr.    6-8    F    13    7
-    Hunter Dickinson    Kansas    Sr.    7-2    C    12    7
-    Zach Edey    Purdue    Sr.    7-4    C    12    7

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I've been closely following Zips basketball since the last year of the Coleman Crawford era and I've got a lot of favorite players (Jeremiah Wood, Jimmal Ball, Romeo Travis, Daric Tarver, Jamie Bosley, Dru Joyce, LCJIII, X 1&2, Big Dog, Tree, Zeke Marshall, and I'm sure I'm missing a few) but I've got to admit I guess Enrique's the best Zip I've ever had the privilege of watching.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

I've been closely following Zips basketball since the last year of the Coleman Crawford era and I've got a lot of favorite players (Jeremiah Wood, Jimmal Ball, Romeo Travis, Daric Tarver, Jamie Bosley, Dru Joyce, LCJIII, X 1&2, Big Dog, Tree, Zeke Marshall, and I'm sure I'm missing a few) but I've got to admit I guess Enrique's the best Zip I've ever had the privilege of watching.

I like your list but I do not remember Daric Tarver.  I am going to wait until the end of the season but he is by far the most improved player to ever wear the Zips uniform.  He is certainly fun to watch and the perfect student athlete.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1981 grad said:

I like your list but I do not remember Daric Tarver.  I am going to wait until the end of the season but he is by far the most improved player to ever wear the Zips uniform.  He is certainly fun to watch and the perfect student athlete.

No argument here, but I would at least give Greg Tribble an honorable mention.

• Like 2

It has been given 10 times this year. He has received it more times than he has not. Just give him POY right now - and it better be unanimous. 😂🤣 But it is nice that by sharing it this week they have now let another TEAM have two Player of the Weeks. 

Screenshot_20240122-083038.jpg

Edited by MDZip
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, GP1 said:

I've heard a couple of different stories about how Freeman came to be on the team. What is the true story and include the timeline?

23, almost 24 years ago, a gift from the gods was born. In 2019, that gift from the gods descended upon Akron. The rest is history. 

Rashaun Agee averaged 13.5 PPG and 13 RPG this past week. He had 1 total block, 3 total assists, 2 total steals, and 7 total turnovers including 6 in the game vs WMU alone. 

Freeman averaged 21.5 PPG, 11 RPG, and added 8 total blocks, 1 total assist, and 4 total steals. He had 2 total turnovers. 

They're literally handing out participation trophies to anyone named with Freeman. That's ridiculous. It's a poor joke. 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, GP1 said:

I've heard a couple of different stories about how Freeman came to be on the team. What is the true story and include the timeline?

Freeman graduated from St. Martin de Porres High School, a very small Catholic co-ed high school located in the St. Clair-Superior neighborhood of Cleveland.  He was 6'4" and played in the Lake Effect Conference, a small team conference that gets little attention.  He averaged 12 points, 10 rebounds and 4.5 assists, which also failed to draw attention.  He went to UA in the fall of 2018 on an academic scholarship and at the urging of his mother attended an open tryout in the fall of 2019 that landed him a spot on the team.  In the 19-20 season, he rarely saw the floor, playing in seven games, scoring five points and grabbing four rebounds. 

It'd be awesome if someone could dig up the old post of Enrique playing in the summer "Defense Optional" Akron-Canton Pro Am league where @NWAkron said he looked great.  It was shortly after we learned of him being offered a walk-on spot. I thought NWAkron had had a few too many & was definitely wearing blue & gold-colored glasses. 😂

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

It'd be awesome if someone could dig up the old post of Enrique playing in the summer "Defense Optional" Akron-Canton Pro Am league where @NWAkron said he looked great.  It was shortly after we learned of him being offered a walk-on spot. I thought NWAkron had had a few too many & was definitely wearing blue & gold-colored glasses. 😂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Freeman graduated from St. Martin de Porres High School, a very small Catholic co-ed high school located in the St. Clair-Superior neighborhood of Cleveland.  He was 6'4" and played in the Lake Effect Conference, a small team conference that gets little attention.  He averaged 12 points, 10 rebounds and 4.5 assists, which also failed to draw attention.  He went to UA in the fall of 2018 on an academic scholarship and at the urging of his mother attended an open tryout in the fall of 2019 that landed him a spot on the team.  In the 19-20 season, he rarely saw the floor, playing in seven games, scoring five points and grabbing four rebounds. 

Excellent. Thanks.

Edited by GP1

At the beginning of practices for the 20-21 season it became obvious to those of us close to the program that Riq was going to take it to another level. When I posted here that he would be in the starting line up, more than a few of the regulars here scoffed. What made that starters spot possible is what still makes him the best player in the MAC, his relentless pursuit of excellence. He also benefitted from a great upbringing by his mom Tonya. He is just a great kid with a love for life. 

• Like 6

Forgive me if this has been discussed before in this topic, but we can all agree Rique is one of the best MAC players we have seen in some time. However, what does his pro-prospects look like? Obviously he’s too small to be a 4 or 5 in the NBA, does that mean he’s looking as a SF spot? Or would be be a Tristan Thompson-esque 4?

2 hours ago, Hilltopper said:

At the beginning of practices for the 20-21 season it became obvious to those of us close to the program that Riq was going to take it to another level. When I posted here that he would be in the starting line up, more than a few of the regulars here scoffed. What made that starters spot possible is what still makes him the best player in the MAC, his relentless pursuit of excellence. He also benefitted from a great upbringing by his mom Tonya. He is just a great kid with a love for life. 

Yeah, I still don't see him making it. 😆

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, bUAkronG said:

Forgive me if this has been discussed before in this topic, but we can all agree Rique is one of the best MAC players we have seen in some time. However, what does his pro-prospects look like? Obviously he’s too small to be a 4 or 5 in the NBA, does that mean he’s looking as a SF spot? Or would be be a Tristan Thompson-esque 4?

I feel like with Emoni getting drafted late and being successful in the g league that Freeman should have a shot. They are very different players but he proves players at the MAC level can make it. He needs to continue to prove he can shoot outside the perimeter personally that's his only glaring flaw for NBA scouts. Either way 25 needs to be retired in the next few seasons especially if he can get us a March madness win

5 hours ago, ZippyRulz said:

Good article. Camryn Justice is an Akron grad I believe and has been getting some big run as a Cleveland sports journalist recently. The more eyes on Freeman and the Akron program, the better. Getting to be a bit embarrassing though the lack of self marketing by the University itself. 

• Like 1